1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
842 Posts
I do not think this exhaust tips work, as how do you increase fuel efficiency by closing off the exhaust system. This will increase exhaust pressure even at low RPM's.

As the link said it will reduce hydrocarbon emissons, as the flow through the catalytic convertor will be reduced ensuring that the unburned hydrocarbons are consumed.

The add said that the tips need to be welded on, if you have a weak section on the exhaust pipe, this section will blow out due to the increase pressure which may cause exhaust gases coming into the car interior.

But I would be interested in any other info on this product as it just does not go around to me.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Very interesting! Seems to me they are advocating exhaust gas flow restriction to increase HP. That goes against all principals I know of.:confused:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Some engines require 'some' back pressure to operate at peak output.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
dmako said:
Some engines require 'some' back pressure to operate at peak output.
I would think that with all the emission control devices on the exhaust, we already have all the back pressure we can handle....

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
I seem to get better mpg with a less restricted exhaust......and I have a LEAD foot... But who knows... Those tips might work...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I guess if someone knows how back pressure affects engine performance then it may explain somewhat how this works/doesn't work...

·
Registered
5 Posts
EdMPT said:
I guess if someone knows how back pressure affects engine performance then it may explain somewhat how this works/doesn't work...
Sadly, with a BSME I ought to know how backpressure affects engine performance, but I don't...

However, Dr. Moller, the guy behind the SkyCar, also created the SuperTrapp line of exhaust systems for motorcycles and the page describing this technology lends some insight to the Turbolator issue: http://www.supertrapp.com/disc_technology/disc_technology.htm

The part that stands out is this:
Remove discs to decrease the exhaust opening and increase back pressure.
* This decreases the powerband to give you more low-end torque.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If you think some exhaust tips will increase performance, then I have a bridge I want to sell you. These are cosmetic items, and they might make your car louder, but thats it.

If the VQ35DE on the Murano is like other Nissans, the most restrictive part of the exhaust system is the Ypipe collector.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts