Nissan Murano Forum banner

Tweeters

54K views 203 replies 45 participants last post by  Bambus 
#1 ·
My Murano has the upgraded stereo system with the 6 speakers and subwoofer and the highend sounds muffled to me. I have the treble up as high as it can go and I've backed down the bass too. I had a Bose system in my '95 Maxima that had the best sound I've ever experienced in a car. It had terrific clarity and crispness. The sound system in my Murano seems to be missing that. I'm thinking about either adding tweeters or replacing the speakers in the dash. Has anyone done this?

#4 ·
You're welcome.

Note that in that example, the owner ended up with no "crossover" capacitor to block bass from the tweeters. As far as I know, his tweeters are surviving this and not distorting due to the bass. If you choose a different tweeter or listen to more 'bass-heavy' music you may not be so lucky. Safest route is to include a capacitor, but adjust the value to suit your preferences.

For example, if your new tweeter is 8 ohm nominal impedance, a 40 uF cap will result in a 500 Hz cutoff. High enough to protect the tweeter, but certainly low enough not to sound 'muffled'.

If tweeter is 4 ohms, then 80 uF cap gives 500 Hz cutoff, etc.

#5 ·
Six Mo.Update on Tweeter Replacement

I'm the guy from FreshAlloy. I don't read or post every day anymore, it's my busy season.

My replacement tweeters (Infinity Kappas) are still working and sounding fine, no problems at all. This is six months after installation. I listen to SAT radio which provides an excellent source signal.

My replacement approach is simple and fairly quick. It is for people that NOTICE that there is no sound coming from their so-called Bose premium system's tweeters on the dash. If you haven't noticed then you're probably OK with the stock system.

I originally went to my local expert commercial installers who said that you can't replace speakers in a Bose system. We found out that this is total Rubbish. You don't need to match Ohm rating to Ohm rating. The key is to get speakers that are Efficient.

I did not reinstall the capacitor that was there, for various reasons, and this WORKS. But I did not install new amplifiers, new base boom boom units. All I did was replace the woofers in the door and the tweeters on the dash. It's good enough for me.

Replacing the tweeters was an improvement of 90%. Replacing the door units was an additional 10%

#6 ·
Tweeter capacitor

If anyone installs a new capacitor of the correct value, along with a new tweeter, I would be interested in how it sounds.

For those owners that are happy with the Bose system as is, try this: Crank up your treble to the max. You will now probably hear sound coming from the top of dashboard (approx. ear level). Now turn the treble back down to neutral. Did the speakers on the dash go away?

Most owners have gotten used to the sound emanating from foot level and probably listen to AM/FM radio or talk radio, and the Bose sound is sufficient. At least in my Explorer, the sound came from knee level.

#7 ·
For truly high quality audio, you should not "hear" ANY of the speakers. There should be a full, clear sound of all the frequencies in the music, spread across a "stage" in front of you.

#8 ·
Soundstage & Tweeters

I totally agree with you. I only suggested turning up the treble to demonstrate that there really are tweeters on the dash, but they are making little contribution to the sound in the stock setup. After you prove that there really are tweeters there turn the treble back down.

So where should the tweeters be to reach the goal of a soundstage in front of you? They've got to be somewhat at ear level in front of you because the ear is sensitive to the origin of high frequencies. Low frequencies can be relatively anywhere, (except under an 1/8" thick rubber mat and carpet, inside the spare tire!). So the placement is ok, but their contribution to the overall sound is lacking.

At home I have two 6 ft line source ribbon speakers that disappear (audibly). You can walk around the room stand up or sit down and the sound remains clear and lifelike.

Its hard to achieve this in a car, but fixing the tweeters on the dash is the first, easiest and most important step.

#9 ·
There are two setups for tweeter placement that I see most often.

The first is (like the OEs) on the dash, reflecting off of the windshield. It has been commented by someone that this may place the tweeters out of phase with the rest of the system, drastically diminishing the volume from them.

The other setup I see is high up on the door (and was how the pros set up my Jeep) or on the A piller, angled appropriately towards the front seating positions.

#10 ·
The optimum set-up for tweeter/midrange (component) set-up is on the kick panels angled up. This provided almost equal distances from the listener's ear and sounds the best. I put some kick panels with the older style Infinity Kappas in my '00 Accord and it made an absolute night/day difference.

#11 ·
Re: Tweeters How do grills come off the dash

Sammer said:
My Murano has the upgraded stereo system with the 6 speakers and subwoofer and the highend sounds muffled to me. I have the treble up as high as it can go and I've backed down the bass too. I had a Bose system in my '95 Maxima that had the best sound I've ever experienced in a car. It had terrific clarity and crispness. The sound system in my Murano seems to be missing that. I'm thinking about either adding tweeters or replacing the speakers in the dash. Has anyone done this?
How do the front grills come off ?/Thank you for your reply :confused:

#12 ·
I believe that they pop off and are held in place by clips. The more I take apart the MO it reminds me of the SNAP TITE models that I had when I was a kid.

#13 ·
'How do the front grills come off ?/Thank you for your reply '

I just did this last week. It is easier it you pop off the air vent covers directly under them first. They come off very easily by just giving a pull down from the top. They don't have to come all the way off, just so they are out of the way.
The covers for the tweeters are held on with clips. Easy to release them with a little force (I used a large flat head screwdriver to help). Those covers have an air tube attached to them, so once you have the clips released, you have to pull them up and towards the rear of the car, not just up.
I hope that helps.
Glenn

#14 ·
One other thing.
The tweeters. Mine ('04) where secured to their bracket with some glue (around the screw head). I had to scrape it away, then I was able to unscrew them. When I tried to unplug them from the wires, I couldn't get the plug out of the connector. I ended up just cutting the wires.
Glenn

#15 ·
What tweeter did you replace them with did they fit, can you still use the bose amp? If this is already in a thread please excuse, I'll search. GRIP :D

#16 ·
I installed MB Quart RCE 216 components. 3/4 inch tweeters fit the bracket. JL Audio 300/4 amp, running the front 2 speakers and 1 JL Audio 12w3 sub in the back. I disconnected and removed the stock sub, so the stock amp is only powering the rear stock speakers. Added Sirius on Sunday, and it sounds great.

#17 ·
installed Rockford tweeters

GripperDon said:
What tweeter did you replace them with did they fit, can you still use the bose amp? If this is already in a thread please excuse, I'll search. GRIP :D
the system sounds much better

#18 ·
Re: Tweeter capacitor

imhoff1 said:
If anyone installs a new capacitor of the correct value, along with a new tweeter, I would be interested in how it sounds.

For those owners that are happy with the Bose system as is, try this: Crank up your treble to the max. You will now probably hear sound coming from the top of dashboard (approx. ear level). Now turn the treble back down to neutral. Did the speakers on the dash go away?

Most owners have gotten used to the sound emanating from foot level and probably listen to AM/FM radio or talk radio, and the Bose sound is sufficient. At least in my Explorer, the sound came from knee level.
used a 4.2 mf and what a sound, now coming out of the dash before it was like having no tweeter the tweeters were rockford fosgate a ok brand I also like pioneer

#19 ·
What is the price range on the Rockford Fosgate Tweeters, please.

#20 ·
sorry for being lazy but can some of the guys who replaced the tweeters be a little more detailed about what they replaced them with. I am interested in changing mine too but a part #/ source would be a big help.

As far as the capacitors go is this just something from radio shack or do I need to look elsewhere.

Thx,
Jason

#21 ·
What are the sizes of the Bose upgrade tweeters and woofers? Are they 1" and 6.5", respectively, matching the Kappas that the freshalloy post mentions?

I am assuming, of course, that the install goes much easier if the speaker sizes are the same as stock. :)

Having completed my PAC install this is the next cheapo upgrade I'm looking to perform.

#22 ·
Anybody replace the rear door speakers?

#23 ·
30 Minute, $ 3.00, Bose Tweeter Fix.....

The Bose factory 1" tweeters are assembled with a factory 4.7 uf high pass capacitor. This capacitor value is too low making a higher cutoff frequency that just sucks!!

I added, in parallel, a 47 uf capacitor ( Radio Shack 272-1027 ) to each tweeter. Remove the grilles by pulling up to release the snap locks and then pull the assembly towards the front seats to remove the vent nipple that extends below the top deck into air distribution tube. Remove two mounting screws on the tweeter bracket and unplug the connector. The Radio Shack capacitor is electrolytic and the unmarked lead needs to be soldered to white wire at the tweeter terminal. The marked lead is soldered to the remaining existing capacitor terminal. ( If you cannot handle a soldering pencil, find a friend that can ). There is no need to remove the factory capacitor. Capacitors in parallel are additive capacitance. Be sure not to short any electrical leads of the existing capacitor or the new capacitor. Replace the tweeter assembly and grilles.

The added capacitance lowers the high pass to about 1,500 Hz. It is a remarkable improvement in the factory 'mud' sound. When I can afford to I will probably replace the tweeters as other loyal Murano owners have done.

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 ·
zelmosan

Just called the Grippee to pick up a pair while she is out! Thanks GRIP :D

#25 ·
Hey Grip, did you try this mod out? How does it sound? Thanks for posting zelmosan! May have to head to radio shack this week...

#26 ·
NatasG

Got the caps from radio Shack last light will get them on this week and let you know. Thanks for asking GRIP :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.