Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. One is all model year wide, the other is more limited...

2003 - 2006 Murano Voluntary Safety Recall Campaigns: Rear Seat Belts & Fuel Tank Vapor Line Fitting

Background
Nissan will be conducting two voluntary safety recall campaigns covering approximately 223,000 model year 2003-2006 Muranos for unrelated issues.

Issue #1 The webbing of the rear outboard seatbelt may become cut in certain high speed frontal crashes. This is a model year 2003-2006 issue involving approximately 223,000 units.

Issue #2 A fitting on the fuel tank for vapor recirculation may have a potential for leakage due to incorrect material in the fitting. This affects approximately 16,200 model year 2005 vehicles only.

The two recalls are for unrelated issues, but the fuel tank fitting issue is a complete subset of the larger affected population (i.e. 15,000+ of the 203,000+ vehicles have both issues) and will be covered in a single mailing to those customers.

In addition, a previously announced fuel tank shield campaign is also unrelated but affects many of the same vehicles. Whenever possible a single letter will be sent to the customer to minimize confusion and inconvenience.

Affected Vehicles in NNA & NCI markets

Issue
Model/ Year
Approximate Build

Date Range
Approximate

Number of Vehicles

(NNA) (NCI)

Rear Seat Belt
Murano: 2003-2006
April 24, 2002

through

July 27, 2005

Fuel Tank Vapor Line Fitting
Murano: 2005
February 25, 2005

Through

May 16, 2005

Affected Markets

This voluntary safety recall campaign affects only vehicles sold in the U.S. (including U.S. territories), and Canada.

Nissan has launched similar recalls in Japan, Europe and other markets as needed

Reason for Action

Seat Belt Issue: In certain high speed frontal crashes, the webbing of a rear outboard seat belt may contact the rear seat back hinge where it may be cut by the sharp edge of the metal portion of the hinge. The metal portion of the rear seat back hinge is covered by the rear seat trim. When the rear seat belt is severely loaded in the event of a vehicle crash, the webbing of the seat belt may pull the seat trim off and contact the sharp edge of the metal portion of the hinge. If the webbing is completely separated, it can increase the risk of injury to an occupant in a crash.

Fuel Tank Fitting Issue: A fitting for vapor recirculation, which is welded on the fuel tank, may come off the tank because incorrect material was mixed in the production of the nipple at the supplier. This will result in the malfunction indicator light (MIL) in the instrument panel coming on and may result in some fuel leakage.

Nissan Action
Nissan will send owner notification letters beginning in March 2006 advising customers to bring their vehicles to a Nissan dealer. For the seat belt issue, protectors will be installed to help protect the webbing from damage. For the fuel tank vapor fitting, a new fuel tank assembly will be installed. All repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Key Questions

Are other Nissan/Infiniti vehicles affected? No

Has NHTSA and Transport Canada been notified? Yes, 2/9/06 (Seatbelt) and 2/13/06 (Fuel Tank)

When will customers be contacted? March 2006

Have there been any reported injuries? No

Does this affect vehicles in dealer inventory? No

·
Registered
842 Posts
At least Nissan is being proactive instead of reactive in this case.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah for what its worth, kudos to Nissan for volunteering these safety related repairs. Looks like I'll be leaving the MO at the $tealer for at least twice. The first time for them to keep the car for the entire day to verify the recall, but not do anything because they don't have the parts, and the second time for them to actually install it. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anybody else wonder who is uncovering the defects that lead to recalls? Seems there are a lot of recurring problems listed in this forum that are well-substantiated but haven't become recalls. And yet, those that do become recalls aren't really showing up on our problems forum. Go figure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I wonder what the "fix" will be for the rears seat belts. We have all seen the fuel tank "fix".

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo said:
I wonder what the "fix" will be for the rears seat belts. We have all seen the fuel tank "fix".
My dealer intends to put a warning sticker on the visor that states: "Do NOT get into any high-speed frontal crashes while passengers are occupying rear outboard seats". He will probably apply it up-side down. :2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for the head-up~
My rear seat belt is defected from the day one anyway (I just noticed). I'm taking it down and have it done at the same time.

Hey does anyone still having problems with fuel door lock-out and sun visor clip replacement...?

I had the fuel door solenoid replaced two time already which only lasted for a month...Sheesh not again. :moon: (I really think Nissan should recall about this and change the solenoid part once and for all)
Sun visor clip broke once and going back for replacement again.

Nizmo

·
4,601 Posts
Wow, this sucks... I'm happy I'm not transporting my daughter in the back of my Murano anymore.

I agree, considering what it takes for Nissan to issue these things, it's likely happened numerous times.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nizmo -

I also had the fuel door solenoid lock replaced, but asked the Dealer to replace it as part of the negotiated purchase ('03 SE AWD w/ 30K miles). A part this simple and this common (across virtually all cars since the mid '80s) would have such a high failure rate.

JDB

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yah, I think Nissan can save some money in the long run by recalling those problem parts instead of replacing it over and over again...
Save our time too by not going to the dealer as much.
I guess they want to get rid of zillions of chinese parts in stock...lol.

Well, running out of the factory warranty by end of this year, I guess I'm going to order lockable fuel cap from courtesyparts for about $18 bucks plus shipping. I found out a clever way to open the stubborn fuel door though. (from inside, less than 10 seconds, let me know if you are having same problemo)

Don't want to get stuck in the gas station for over half an hour everytime, trying to open the dame thinge...getting so much attention from other drivers coming at me with screw driver..."hey, just use this screw driver and pop your fuel door open"

Hell no~, I ain't gonna scratch my MO! :12:

Nizmo

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Quick check, if you continue to have issues have you checked the ensure the tab is not bent?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I was busy working.
I just got your post.
Yah, Sure thing~

1. Open the hatch from the back

2. Stick your finger (or use some thing like (-) screw driver) in between the carpet and rubber right behind the left rear end light panel (from inside the car)

3. Open enough space to put your hands in to it. Get a flast light and see inside, right behind the fuel tank (after the first try, you should be able to just do it w/o flash light)

4. Do you see the plunger? The solenoid.
PUT YOUR HAND INSIDE AND HOLD THE TIP OF THE SOLENOID, NOW PUSH IT BACKWARD (you can feel the plastic part moving forward and backward)

5. pop your fuel door open! Or you can lock unlock to repear.
I can do it within 5 second everytime! :9:

Good luck and let me know if you get stuck!

Nizmo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts