Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oddly, I like my dealer so much that I really don't mind so much. I am just curious whether anyone knows if there is a weakness in the bearings that they would go at 30,000 miles, first driver side front, then passenger side front.

Each time, the noise was unmistakably the grinding of bearings, and the car started to have trouble progressing forward: foot off gas; car slows very quickly.

They just changed them, and say no other MO has lost bearings yet, around here.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just had my tires rotated and I'm getting the loudest "tire" noise from the left front. Hasn't settled down after about 500 miles of city driving. I'm wondering if I'm about to have a bearing melt down. Loudest humming is between 30 -45mph but it doesn't sound like a single engine prop plane either. Will have to have garage take a look at when I get back to town now that there may be a possibility of a bad bearing.

·
Mo Love!
29 Posts
I had my Mo in for an oil change and tire rotation a few weeks ago. After that, I noticed that there was this humming from the drivers side front wheel. I took it back in and they said it was indeed a wheel bearing. The new part is at the dealership now, I just have to find time to get in there and get it installed! I have about 14K on my Mo.

I assume this will be covered under warranty!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Forgot to mention...odo just turned over 19.5K. Wonder if we have a trend starting here.
I think the last time I had a bearing failure was in '78 on my '69 Ford. Definitely didn't expect it on this vehicle. Wonder if there is something the mechanics could have done wrong? Overtorqued something? Had pads replaced and new rotors but they shouldn't have anything to do with the bearings. Will keep posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Around 30k I noticed a humming sound whereby I could hear each rotation of my front tires, loudest at 35 - 40 mph. Seemed to be worse on the front passenger side but hard to tell which side. I rotated my tires but the noise was still there and got progressively worse over the next 4k miles. Dealer replaced right front bearing under warranty which lessened the sound but something was still there. Took it back and they said it was uneven tire wear and rotated my tires. This also lessened the noise but I still could hear something. At this point I figured it was because my ear had been so tuned to hearing this humming and it probably wasn't worth the hassle with the dealer so I let it go.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a whoob, whoob, Curly Howard noise coming from my left front wheel. This is also the wheel that has a goofed up tire plug that the dealership repaired for me. I do get the whoob whoob sound as well as a grinding noise. I am apprehensive about having my delaership look at it and may go elsewhere to have it checked. Tire still looses pressure, unfortunately. JustTires has the Goodyear LS for $125.57 plus tax, etc to come out to $153.00. Goodyear Tire Center wants $163.95 for the same thing. Going to Justtires, I guess, soon.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You can always put the whoob whoob tire on the rear. :)

·
Mo Love!
29 Posts
I was just at the dealer this morning to have this "whoob whoob" noise checked out, for the second time. First time, they thought it was the wheel bearing (front, drivers side). They replaced the bearing, but it still did it. Took it back in this morning and we road tested it, had a tech look at it.. checked the suspension and tire and he said the only thing they could see might be some uneven tire wear which is causing this. I really like my service manager so I trust him, but he said I would basically have to deal with it until I get new tires (probably in about 10k). And.. unfortunately, it will probably get worse as the tire wears. Hopefully when they move that tire to the back on the next rotation, I won't notice it as much.

My question... why is this my problem? The car has less than 15k on it and I have had the tires rotated according to the indcator on the screen as needed. They check the pressure and inspect everything when I go in for an oil change (or at least they are supposed to).

Am I being unrealistic?

·
Registered
10 Posts
rainbowfarm said:
Oddly, I like my dealer so much that I really don't mind so much. I am just curious whether anyone knows if there is a weakness in the bearings that they would go at 30,000 miles, first driver side front, then passenger side front.

Each time, the noise was unmistakably the grinding of bearings, and the car started to have trouble progressing forward: foot off gas; car slows very quickly.

They just changed them, and say no other MO has lost bearings yet, around here.

I had the left front bearing go south around 23,000 miles.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Is this becoming more than a coincidence that the left front bearings are going bad? I haven't confirmed mine yet with my dealership, but the sound is definitely coming from left front.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
eurocarlov said:
...checked the suspension and tire and he said the only thing they could see might be some uneven tire wear which is causing this. I really like my service manager so I trust him, but he said I would basically have to deal with it until I get new tires (probably in about 10k). And.. unfortunately, it will probably get worse as the tire wears. Hopefully when they move that tire to the back on the next rotation, I won't notice it as much.

My question... why is this my problem? The car has less than 15k on it and I have had the tires rotated according to the indcator on the screen as needed. They check the pressure and inspect everything when I go in for an oil change (or at least they are supposed to).

Am I being unrealistic?
Tires can be damaged internally due to manufacturing defects, wrong rotation pattern, etc. If your tire is indeed out of round or has uneven wear you need to find the cause because it could be trouble. At low speeds (5-10mph) do you experience slight vertical movement as if the car is going over small bumps? If so, that could be sign of a broken belt and you do not want to be driving on a tire with broken belt as it could come apart without warning. Take your car to a reputable tire place and heave them check it for you. Your tire carries a warranty up to 2/32 inch thread left on it. Granted it is prorated but at least you will not have to pay the full replacement cost if it comes to that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently noticed that I also have that whoob whoob whoob sound, best heard at about 50 - 60 kph (30 - 40 mph), but I can't say for sure that its the wheel bearings. I had my tires rotated about 500 miles ago, and it could possibly be tire noise, but likely I never noticed before as I don't often drive without the CD player on and the windows open. It's not NEARLY as loud as when the bearings went in my old Explorer (could it be that they may not be as worn either?) The MO only has 22,000 miles!

rainbowfarm said:
There is also occasionally a definite slowing that occurs when I take my food off the accelerator, but could also be the CVT, which does that sometimes also, particularly when going downhill (no?)

I have an appointment on Friday with the dealer, but I haven't found them to be the most receptive to any other problems experienced to date (including the great alternator failure of 2004) The service mgr said we would go for a test run and see, but can't they check for wear by by LOOKING at them? Alternately, are there any other warning signs of failed bearings that I can check for and use as ammunition?

Thanks!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am sweating out bringing my car in to have this checked. My dealership seems to try to blow off warranted repairs. I may take it to another Nissan dealership whose service department has a better rating.

I did have a left front tire replaced due to a puncture, but the whobb whoob Curly Howard noise continues on the left front wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts