Nissan Murano Forum banner

Have you had your car undercoated and/or rustproofed?

• undercoating only

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • rustproofing only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • undercoating and rustproofing

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • none of the above

Votes: 42 89.4%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many people has gotten undercoating and/or rustproofing?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"how many people has gotten undercoating and/or rustproofing?"

Everybody that bought a Murano.
It comes "undercoated with rustproofing" standard.

I'm sure that you can participate in additional dealer profit and a have Ziebart installed, but it isn't necessary.

If you do have an aftermarket goop put on, there is good news and bad news.
The good news is that the stuff acts as a kind of noise dampener.
The bad news is they usuallu vover a drain hole or two allowing for a clogged drain and eventual rusting..........the very thing they are trying to stop.

Homer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hfelknor,
Thanks for the reply. I bet alot of people are thinking "Is she ever going to just buy one already!" Husband likes to get all the information he can to make sure it's just right.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I was told by my dealer that I would not need the rustproofing on the Murano...and that was the only correct thing they told me about the car. :4:

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Snow MO said:
and that was the only correct thing they told me about the car. :4:
Did your dealer also tell you that thanks to the dynamic braking system, the nose won't dive during hard braking? I was going over 80 on the test drive, and he suggested hitting the brakes hard on the exit ramp to get a feel for the braking system. He said the system moves some of the braking to the rear to keep the car level.

·
Registered
438 Posts
OMG what a waste of money. Although some dealers include a lifetime of free headlight fluid (full synthetic of course) changes with it :p

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
EasternPA said:

Did your dealer also tell you that thanks to the dynamic braking system, the nose won't dive during hard braking? I was going over 80 on the test drive, and he suggested hitting the brakes hard on the exit ramp to get a feel for the braking system. He said the system moves some of the braking to the rear to keep the car level.
nope, I read that on the website before I bought the MO! Brakes

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yepper

I had always noticed from the first week that the Mo brakes way level compared to most cars. I was behind a Trooper the other day and it looked like he was a low rider with hydraulics in the rear only: every time he hit the brakes his rear end shot skyward---I was going, "how odd".
snicker

:2:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just don't be suprised when your REAR brake pads wear faster than your front ones (due to the brake force distrbution system)!

Additional rustproofing is a waste of money IF you wash your car once a week or so during the winter (assuming you drive in the snow belt with lots of road salt).

None of my Nissans ever showed any rust of any kind and all I did was wash them roughly every week, year round, which included an under body flush during the winter.

95 Max had 192,xxx on it when totaled in 2003.
00 Max has 143,xxx on it today.
03 MO has 30,xxx on it today.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Sound quieting

I just ordered 50sq.ft. of B-Quite Supreme (Dyna-Mats competor) and will be installing it in the MO. Does anyone have experience with this. Advice would be appreciated. I an going to start with the trunk area, folowed by the from passenger floors and then go until the material is gone. I was also interested in spraying an external sound deading coating on the undersides of the MO. Any thoughts on that? GRIP :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Undercoating / Noise Reduction

First off, Moonbuggy is wishforamurano now that I got one . My husband is into Street Rods "BIG TIME" and has a 1934 Chevrolet Cabriolet Show Car with a modified 350 ZZ4 Corvette crate engine and all that high performance stuff. In Pa. where we live they put so much Calcium Chloride down on the roads every time they think its about to snow that the roads turn white with the stain. Therefore, we had the Merlot Mo undercoated to help with the underside corrosion. When the dealer had the Mo up on the lift my husband went over to see the underside of the Mo. He noticed Nissan sprayed some undercoating on only crucial spots, but left most parts untouched. Black Armor Clad was sprayed on the floor, unibody frame, and rear wheels wells again, and in every nook an cranny. except suspension parts. Looks good. However, we noticed the the Mo seems quieter now, no more road noise and the sound of tiny stones hitting the bottom of the car. Great for listening to the Bose Stereo now. And for $70.00 my husband didn't have to do it himself like he did the F-150 and Expedition. :2:

·
4,994 Posts
Hello!Moon Buggy! Wonderful. Money well spent. Glad he did not have to do it himself I am still scrubbing that stuff off. :eek:

·
5,244 Posts
Re: Sound quieting

GripperDon said:
I just ordered 50sq.ft. of B-Quite Supreme (Dyna-Mats competor) and will be installing it in the MO. Does anyone have experience with this. Advice would be appreciated. I an going to start with the trunk area, folowed by the from passenger floors and then go until the material is gone. I was also interested in spraying an external sound deading coating on the undersides of the MO. Any thoughts on that? GRIP :D
Hi Don,

did you actually apply any sound proofing material? I am interested in doing front wheels wells and front floor. Any thoughts?

·
4,994 Posts
I used a spray on undercoating I got at Checker Auto Supply on the out side. I use B-Quite on the insides, a clone of Dynamat. I bought a bulk roll for $130 turned out to be way too much. I am now adding it to the SKL. It's easy in the Cargo area of the MO but harder elsewhere in that you have to remove the carpeting!!! and some interior side panels. It's an on going project but adds to a quiteness that makes my MP3 and Sat listening more enjoyable.

·
5,244 Posts
Thanks Don, what type of spray?

·
4,994 Posts
I went out and looked and I used all the cans and try as I may I can't remember it's name. It was nothing special just one of the ones at the auto supply store. :confused: Sorry.

·
5,244 Posts
Thanks!

·
4,994 Posts
3M Undercoating PN 08881, 16 oz Aerosol - $4.95 Found it :D

·
5,244 Posts
Thanks Don!

You are the man!!!!:D

·