Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Murano owners

Well bought the Ebay CVT and it was installed. The dealer said it worked and sent me home.

Next day transmission started leaking and fuses were blowing left and right.

Took back to the dealer and they said it needed a new gasket. The new gasket was installed and then a new leak sprouted up. This one is not serviceable so I have to purchase a new Transmission.

Also just so you know My 2003 Murano SL AWD appraised at $12,000.00

Good luck to all you MO owners as I am dumping the Mo and will not be purchasing another Nissan Product.

Randy

·
Registered
120 Posts
I sympathize with you, Randy. It is scary that problems of this magnitude can happen in a 2 year old vehicle. As more trannies hit the 90k mark, we'll see how well they are really made. In the meanwhile, for the rest of us, extended warranty sounds better and better.

·
4,601 Posts
Hmmm... Two dead trannies.... Sounds like an opportunity to make a decent one out of the pair. But you need someone brave enough and with a mechanical aptitude and experience to tackle it. (Unlike most mechanics) Reminds me of the days I used to buy trashed motorcycles and piece them together. Got a really nice Kawi 750 really cheap, by doing that...

Sounds like an opportunity for a transmission shop (a good one) to learn more about CVTs... Make a deal. I'll let you experiment, you learn more about the technology, I don't pay you a huge amount of money. Someone who knows what they're doing (truly knows) would have a very good chance at bringing them back from the dead, as long as there's not a common failed part.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That just sux Randy, I'm sorry this happened to you. It's certainly worth watching if this is an isolated incident or the first signs of something much more.

Maybe Nissan figures if Honda/Acura owners don't mind replacing transmissions so often, Nissan owners will grow to accept it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't understand wasn't this covered under warranty? Why did he have to purchase one from ebay? What did Nissan say about this whole thing?

Best of luck, I understand your frustration.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Gonzo said:
I don't understand wasn't this covered under warranty? Why did he have to purchase one from ebay? What did Nissan say about this whole thing?

Best of luck, I understand your frustration.
He had 90,000 miles, well out of standard warranty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Man this really sucks. I doubt that Nissan has given hardly any techs training on the CVT. I bet this was the first CVT that the dealership installed and they screwed it up during the install. I guess if you had gotten it from the dealership, you would have gotten a 12/12000 warranty on the unit.

I had my Murano with 40,000 miles appraised at $22,000 a couple of months ago. If you think your MO depreciated badly, be glad its not GM, Ford or Chrysler. You probably would have to pay someone to take it from you (my wife's Trailblazer depreciated $13,000 at only two weeks after purchase and is worth less than my MO even though it is younger with less miles). I don't blame you for wanting to dump the Nissan and never coming back. They should have put the CVT in more models to bring in economies of scale for failures and lower the replacement costs. Maybe this particular CVT was/is not ready for prime time and longevity. I don't plan to stick with it long enough to find out. Probably dump it withing a year or so. Love the MO, but this could be a systemic issue and these units just may not last. I know the engine is bulletproof, buy it is probable that the CVT on the Murano will fail long before the engines do.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Isn't that always the case in these cars... everything around the engine falls apart but the engine continues to run.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I thought the powertrain warranty went out to 100,000 miles... or is it 50,000? Can someone confirm? I know it's longer than the basic warranty of 3/36,000.

·
Registered
842 Posts
HuskyFan said:
5 years, 60000 miles powertrain
And in Canada it is 5 years and 100,000 Kms. But like all mechaincal parts there are Pm's that will help you extend the life of them, like changing the transmisson oil as required, engine oil, and last but not least how we all drive( a personal choice for all) . If you take care of your car , it will take care of you.:7:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah I do not buy the "100,000 mile CVT" fluid interval (actually its 60k under severe conditions, and no set interval under normal conditions). I plan on changing mine (even if its expensive) every 30k.

Off topic, but the myth of today's "maintenance free" cars are convincing more and more people that all the car needs are oil changes. Sure, platinum plugs *might* last 105,000 miles, but good luck getting them out without stripping the threads (as cartalk would say, they have "become one with the engine") after 100,000 miles!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Stoker said:

And in Canada it is 5 years and 100,000 Kms. But like all mechaincal parts there are Pm's that will help you extend the life of them, like changing the transmisson oil as required, engine oil, and last but not least how we all drive( a personal choice for all) . If you take care of your car , it will take care of you.:7:
100,000km = 60,000 miles. :)

Eric L. said:
Yeah I do not buy the "100,000 mile CVT" fluid interval (actually its 60k under severe conditions, and no set interval under normal conditions). I plan on changing mine (even if its expensive) every 30k.

Off topic, but the myth of today's "maintenance free" cars are convincing more and more people that all the car needs are oil changes. Sure, platinum plugs *might* last 105,000 miles, but good luck getting them out without stripping the threads (as cartalk would say, they have "become one with the engine") after 100,000 miles!
Some people even believe that oil changes are no longer needed. :eek:

My dealer inspects and cleans (and hopefully gaps) my spark plugs every 4th oil change, so they should come out fine.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:

100,000km = 60,000 miles. :)

Some people even believe that oil changes are no longer needed. :eek:

My dealer inspects and cleans (and hopefully gaps) my spark plugs every 4th oil change, so they should come out fine.
I would be surprised if your dealer checked the rear bank of plugs. You need to remove the intake manifold to get to those, and there is a non reusable intake manifold gasket that needs to be replaced in the process (probably a $35 part).

·
Registered
50 Posts
So to change the plugs you have to pull the upper intake manifold? Thats ridiculous. I though it was a PITA to do the Z but this takes the cake.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
TonyD(90Z32TT) said:
So to change the plugs you have to pull the upper intake manifold? Thats ridiculous. I though it was a PITA to do the Z but this takes the cake.
Yep for the rear (or RH) bank. Its a compromise in design, and in the Murano the engine is pretty far back under the hood, making access even more difficult.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
And I thought my 75 Chevy Monza V8 was bad. To remove two of the left spark plugs I had to undo the engine mounts and raise the engine a few inches to get to them!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
[
Sure, platinum plugs *might* last 105,000 miles, but good luck getting them out without stripping the threads (as cartalk would say, they have "become one with the engine") after 100,000 miles!
I suspect that very few plugs threads are stripped removing the plugs. It's putting them back in that does it. I always chase my threads (carefully) when the plugs have been removed from an aluminum head, and lube the threads with a little synthetic oil.

OTOH, I have never encountered a bad or fouled platinum plug.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, I have piece of mind....I have a 100K powertrain warranty that came with my MO when I bought it.:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
As part of my car insurance, I have "breakdown" coverage with a $250 deductable... I hope it never comes to that - but if it does, I wouldn't be ruined by paying $250 for a new CVT, installed by dealer and warranted for another year or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts