Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUst came back from dealer today. Chit chat with part dept manager about HID.

Anyway, he confirmed that there is a significant investigation conducted by nissan USA on the stealing of nissan's HID headlight.

Several customers lost the headlights, mostly maximas and one or two muranos. All happen in east coast, northeast state: Newyork, New Jersey, and some around baltimore and philadelphia. The parts depts in those states order the parts from my local dealer.

He also told me the reason why nissan projector headlight is a 'hot comodity' in the black market is because nissan projectors (the lenses inside) are easy to be disambled and retrofited to other cars, while if they steal Audi/BMW 's lenses, it has limited compatibility market. (compatibility = size wise)

So Murano with HID, becareful where you park.
To replace MO's HID headlight system, it will cost $1700 for parts and $300 labors plus tax. For the maxima, there is a bolt that you can buy to prevent theft. For murano, there is none yet.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Thats what it costs if you just replace the lights. When they stole mine they damaged the bodywork and the final bill was $4,000.

I spoke with Nissan USA the day it happened. They are aware of the Maxima problem and have an etching and upgrade program in place, but have no knowledge or plans to address Murano HID theft.

For me, It's the Murano's only downside. I sweat everytime I park at night in a less than ideal spot.

·
SHIFT_ passion
85 Posts
What year of Max are they making the bolt for? I have HID on both my Murano and my 04 Max. I havent really seen much about it in the Maxima forums. :eek:

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
'04 Maxes already have the fix. The recall applied to '02 & '03.

I still don't know for sure if the Murano has been designed to include these modified brackets. They looked pretty weak to me, but then again maybe my thieves caused so much body damage because the lights are harder to get out.

Who the hell knows? Certainly not my dealer!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Malaycobra is right :eek:

The HID's for the 02 &03 Max's have the highest rate of theft on the nissan market for the HID's.

So having a Murano and a Maxima puts me on DOUBLE RISK :3:

·
Registered
104 Posts
you can always get an aftermarket alarm that send you a message if the car is being tampered with. after i read what happened to malaycobra, i went out and got one installed. will it def stop thieves from busting my hood to get to my beloved HID lights? not sure. but if they do screw with my hood, and my MO starts yelling for help, i'm out there quick with my louisville. at least minimize the damage. who knows though...maybe i'm just givng myself a false sense of security?:1:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Quick,

What brand of alarm and how much did it cost? I am considering one too since someone like to steal my wiper blades. LOL. I am thinking it's only a matter of time till they graduate to something else.

·
Registered
120 Posts
WHat about cable locks, such as the ones used in computers?

I understand they are not a visible deterrent and will not avoid damage to the body, but may cause a thief to abandon the theft. Moreover, stylish warning decals may be placed just above HIDs to warn the thief of protection.

One can adapt the following computer cable locks:

http://www.tryten.com/products/Wc377d8f3cc7f3.htm

A kit can be assembled from this website: http://www.tufnut.com/category.aspx?id=12#Security_Cables

Nice equipment here: https://www.compu-lock.com/three.asp

A nice kit here too: http://www.meritline.com/universal-mng040t-rail-kit-lock.html

And, finally, a laundry list of numerous security products with quick reviews.

If someone installs something like these - please post pictures and walkthrough:) We need a solution fast.

Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The HID theft on Maximas are heard about a lot in the NY area. But this is a problem becase Maximas are very popluar in the northeast (like accords acnd civics). Theives will steal the cars just for the parts, particularly the expensive parts, like $1500 HIDs!!!

-A friend of mine park his brother's Maxima in Seacaucus, NJ overnight. In the morning he comes back to find the HIDs ripped right ou of their sockets.... cheap plastic brackets.-

As much as everyone on this board loves the Mo, maybe we should keep things on the low to keep the Mo's popularity at a level overlooked by thieves... :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The 02-03 Maximas have reflector HID assemblies, not projectors. The reflector assemblies can be easily retrofitted into lower end cars like Civics and Accords without a problem (as those have reflector headlamps as well). The 04 Maxima and HID Muranos have a projector setup which may be more difficult to retrofit to vehicles with reflector assemblies without a hack job.

Although if Nissan USA made an antitheft bolt for the Murano's HID assembly, I would buy it immediately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts