Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I test drove Murano in June 2003 I tried both the SE and SL. I preferred the SE but my better half had different opinion and I ended up with SL (mind you 6 months later she ended up with FX35 with much stiffer suspension and better handling. Never understood women…;) .). I like how SL drives but I do miss the tighter steering of the SE. I have been considering changing suspension to that of SE.

Anybody out there has done it? What would be the pros and cons?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. It seems that if you compare parts between the SL and SE, the springs and the shocks are different part numbers.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris,

I agree with dmako that the springs and shocks may be different, but I would also check the stabilizer bars, they may be a few mm larger.

Also, I checked the 2005 service manual and the SE has slightly different alignment and ride height specs.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think the stabilizer bars are the same for both models. I have a parts list and the only differences are the springs (front and rear), struts (front), and shocks (rear). The SE also rides 1mm or 2mm lower than the SL as well.

I never drove an SL, but I love the steering on my SE. I never really find the "stiff steering issue" reported by CR to be that annoying, since the lack of boost also translates to tighter steering in normal driving, which almost feels Audi-like (the stiffest steering I've experienced).

Probably the worst steering I've ever felt is BMW's Active Steering, which is completely nonlinear and has zero feel. Doesn't stop BMWs from handling well though.

·
4,601 Posts
I'd say do it. I don't miss how my SL would lean, not that it leaned a lot, but my current car goes around corners like a slot car, and I love it! Flat as a pancake.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jaak said:
I'd say do it. I don't miss how my SL would lean, not that it leaned a lot, but my current car goes around corners like a slot car, and I love it! Flat as a pancake.
I know what you mean - FX is like that. And I love it!

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric L. said:
I think the stabilizer bars are the same for both models. I have a parts list and the only differences are the springs (front and rear), struts (front), and shocks (rear). The SE also rides 1mm or 2mm lower than the SL as well.

I never drove an SL, but I love the steering on my SE. I never really find the "stiff steering issue" reported by CR to be that annoying, since the lack of boost also translates to tighter steering in normal driving, which almost feels Audi-like (the stiffest steering I've experienced).

Probably the worst steering I've ever felt is BMW's Active Steering, which is completely nonlinear and has zero feel. Doesn't stop BMWs from handling well though.
It seems like quite a bit of work - springs, struts, shocks.....cost maybe a prohibitive factor. I do not plan on keeping Murano longer than 2.5 years. Have to check how much it would cost...

·
Registered
301 Posts
jaak said:
You also have to give credit to the lower center of gravity, I think that makes a big difference in the amount of body lean. You can eliminate the body lean on the Murano, but the ride would be soooo stiff, that you'd feel every pothole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts