Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy,
I’m a long time lurker but first time poster. I have a 16 Murano SL that I use for road trips and teaching my daughter to drive. She’ll be getting it within 2 years.

I’m I really want to upgrade the radio for CarPlay. I’ve been reading lots of post and could use some input on a 2017.5/2018 head unit replacement or an aftermarket head unit (I was looking at the alpine ilx-f309 or ilx-f259).

I’m worried the OEM CarPlay is the a little buggy. But I’m not sure if I want to lose the OEM look and lose the 360 degree camera which has been great for parking lessons.

any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If I was upgrading, I would personally go aftermarket. Usually cheaper, better screen and apps. Also has Google Maps which is arguable the best map system out there. The only thing is that you need to have the know how to install it as sometimes the harness isnt what its supposed to be. Also, I heard some people say that the 360 cam no longer works.

I dont have an aftermarket, but a fair bit of the folk on here do. Maybe they can guide you a bit more....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Guy,
I’m a long time lurker but first time poster. I have a 16 Murano SL that I use for road trips and teaching my daughter to drive. She’ll be getting it within 2 years.

I’m I really want to upgrade the radio for CarPlay. I’ve been reading lots of post and could use some input on a 2017.5/2018 head unit replacement or an aftermarket head unit (I was looking at the alpine ilx-f309 or ilx-f259).

I’m worried the OEM CarPlay is the a little buggy. But I’m not sure if I want to lose the OEM look and lose the 360 degree camera which has been great for parking lessons.

any input is appreciated.

Go with Dasaita px6 from Ali express. May want to hold off with buying anything from China right now. The unit is solid and you can add custom rom to take it to another level.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just for the heck of it you could go to Maxima.org and search the 8th generation Maxima forums. Several members have swapped out their head units for newer ones and there is a lot of information there that you could probably use

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are several threads on here from those of us who have done it, filled with part numbers and everything to look for. I'm sorry I don't have the time to go back and look for them, but I will say I did mine and am happy with it. I have not issues with CarPlay and I like to keep the factory look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback. I have read over the existing threads here and on the maxima forum which is how I know if I use the right OEM Radio it’s a pretty simple swap. My concern is even with CarPlay the rest of the unit isn’t great and I’ve read lots of other posts from owners of 2017.5 or 2018s that have had CarPlay issues. So this given me reservations on oem. On the other hand I’m not an aftermarket person. Factory appearance is important to me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback. I have read over the existing threads here and on the maxima forum which is how I know if I use the right OEM Radio it’s a pretty simple swap. My concern is even with CarPlay the rest of the unit isn’t great and I’ve read lots of other posts from owners of 2017.5 or 2018s that have had CarPlay issues. So this given me reservations on oem. On the other hand I’m not an aftermarket person. Factory appearance is important to me.
just my opinion but I think a lot of issues related to CarPlay are actually caused by the phone and not using a Apple cord. I have had mine in for a few months now and I have not had any problems. I can toggle back and forth between CarPlay and the stock features at will. It is a simple swap. I got mine from a salvage yard using Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market You just have to make sure you are getting the exact model match (for example 11 speaker Bose) as the connections are different. If the unit isn't immediately identifiable, you can message the yard via that website and get pictures etc. It will also help you gauge the physical condition of the unit.

I had my dealer do the swap. One piece of advice if you do it, DO NOT let anyone (dealer included) try and flash or otherwise replace the SD card to try and match the radio to the car by VIN or anything. That could render the unit useless. It is literally plug and play. As a side note; when re-activating SXM with the radio unit number, it will identify the vehicle as a 2017 (because that's what the radio is). That does not effect SXM services. I transferred them over easily. Added bonus, Maps were updated one year too.

You would just have to remember that your radio is now a 2017.5 and let the dealer know in case there are any updates to a 2017.5 unit, and ignore any updates for 2016. (The unit I used was model 25915-9UC1A which is 11 speaker Bose)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm about to have the Dasaita PX6 Max6 android 9.0 10" ordered for my 2016. Amazon.ca shows inventory. I will be getting a local installer to switch it out. I thoroughly discussed the purchase with him before committing as the reviews are all over the map. However when you dig deep there are are many car forums where many users have bought it. Yes some have had problems but many others are quite happy. It also seems to me that with the right harness you can keep the 360 cam view as well as on dash video feed for music,GPS etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm about to have the Dasaita PX6 Max6 android 9.0 10" ordered for my 2016. Amazon.ca shows inventory. I will be getting a local installer to switch it out. I thoroughly discussed the purchase with him before committing as the reviews are all over the map. However when you dig deep there are are many car forums where many users have bought it. Yes some have had problems but many others are quite happy. It also seems to me that with the right harness you can keep the 360 cam view as well as on dash video feed for music,GPS etc.
Curious....you said you discussed I thoroughly with the installer you’re going to use. Did they confirm without a shadow of a doubt that the harness they will be using will let you retain the 360 cam and everything else? Asked because you only said that it seems to you that you should be able to....seems like something your installer could confirm before you made the leap. This is assuming you have all of those features (sorry not familiar with if yours has them).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Curious....you said you discussed I thoroughly with the installer you’re going to use. Did they confirm without a shadow of a doubt that the harness they will be using will let you retain the 360 cam and everything else? Asked because you only said that it seems to you that you should be able to....seems like something your installer could confirm before you made the leap. This is assuming you have all of those features (sorry not familiar with if yours has them).
None of the parts that your installer would normally use will allow for retention of the 360 camera, so he will have to assume based on whatever the website you order from says, and then whether they ship you the correct harnesses. I work in a high-end car audio shop and have a '15 platinum and went through every possible option with "traditional" aftermarket (i.e. Alpine, Pioneer, etc) head units simply trying gain apple carplay. Bottom line is that you can either do the OEM swap with the '17.5-18 models like others have mentioned (which isn't a slam dunk - I'm on my 2nd attempt at that with very mixed results), or try one of these android-type models. My shop installs things like this a few times a month and the problems that typically arise are mostly incorrect parts/wiring, and/or reliability. A LOT of these come back to us with problems and many don't work right out of the box. I was very hesitant to buy this type of product from a brand that I have never heard of and I have been deeply involved in car audio for over 30 years. With that said, many folks on here are having success with them. Either way, please let the community know what you end up doing and what kind of results you get. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
None of the parts that your installer would normally use will allow for retention of the 360 camera, so he will have to assume based on whatever the website you order from says, and then whether they ship you the correct harnesses. I work in a high-end car audio shop and have a '15 platinum and went through every possible option with "traditional" aftermarket (i.e. Alpine, Pioneer, etc) head units simply trying gain apple carplay. Bottom line is that you can either do the OEM swap with the '17.5-18 models like others have mentioned (which isn't a slam dunk - I'm on my 2nd attempt at that with very mixed results), or try one of these android-type models. My shop installs things like this a few times a month and the problems that typically arise are mostly incorrect parts/wiring, and/or reliability. A LOT of these come back to us with problems and many don't work right out of the box. I was very hesitant to buy this type of product from a brand that I have never heard of and I have been deeply involved in car audio for over 30 years. With that said, many folks on here are having success with them. Either way, please let the community know what you end up doing and what kind of results you get. Good luck!
Well I have been discussing this with the installer. I suggested Dasaita as I saw it on this site from other Murano owners as well on other forums with Maxima, Honda, Toyota, Jeep owners. We were both hesitant to Jump right in but after scouring mega auto forums but rationalized that there are more successes than there seem to be failures. He’s had limited experience with these Android units and it’s been positive. I’m sick and tired of the many issues I’m having with the stock head unit.
Regarding 360 and other functionality I’ve seen pictures with it working and understand it’s critical give Auto model details to the seller so they can send the correct harness. myunit is on order and I hope to have it installed and working very soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts