Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bose system sound terrible; I needed to upgrade. Reading the forum I learned to leave the head unit and replace everything else. Installing new speakers would not work because the factory amp could only handle the tiny 1 or 2 ohm speakers and nothing else.

Since the system was factory equalized I needed to flatten the audio repsonse. A CleanSweep system was added. Two JL Audio amps were added; one to drive the rear speakers and the JL 12" sub-box and the other to power the front speakers and tweeters. I installed Polk but would also suggest JL and other higher end manufacturers.

I put in about $2,500 to get a decent sounding system which should not be required in a $35,000 vehicle.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
lorenzarch-

And don't forget that the system you are referring to is the upgraded, Premium system. You would expect it to be worthy of the vehicle it is in. Nissan missed the mark on that one.

-njjoe

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
So with the cost of the head unit

This is a $3K sound system or 10% of the cost of the MO? :eek:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't forget the sat radio. :18:

What amps are you running? Which sub?

I just ran the numbers on my upgrade....
sirius sat receiver & lifetime subscription - $700
amps (both used) - $450
speakers (new) - $250
sub and custom box (new)- $300
wiring/misc - $600
b-quiet extreme deadener - $60
cheap labor
beer
some sleep
total - $2,360.

Was it worth it? Definitely. I'm sure others have better things to do with that kind of money, but I'd go crazy without it....I do 3 hours, on a good day, in the Mo, and 8 at my desk. I can't say enough about the satellite radio. Not having to deal with cds, or transferring files, all at my thumb's disposal....priceless.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I started to comment on this yesterday but decided it would be hypocritical. There was a time in my life (about 10 years and 2 stolen cars/systems ago) that I put similar money into car stereos because it was what I wanted to do.

The repeated thefts, a little age and better places to spend disposable income made me appreciate factory radios much more :D. Of course I do have to say I feel like a minority that is actually VERY happy with my upgraded Bose stereo in my Mo. I'd have to argue that aside from maybe a lack of bass enough to annoy the he!! out of the guy next to me in traffic it's probably far better than most of those attempts at "upgrading" I did way in the past.

Note: although I've probably mellowed a hair and I do like my music loud and clear, I've gotten to hate that moron in traffic that I used to be!

·
Registered
94 Posts
This was my first go around with adding amps and speakers, so I'm glad I was able to put everything back together without breaking anything or blowing anything up (other than a few fuses). It was my brother's car that got me thinking about the upgrade. His doubles as a defibulator, with ear splitting volume, but sounds incredible. I just can't take that much pressure.
I was happy with the Bose at the lower volumes. But when a song came on that required a bit more, or the windows were down, it just couldn't handle the job.
I hope that I get to hold onto this system for a while. If it was stolen, it would just make me sick. :16:

·
Registered
204 Posts
The defibullator becomes less important, evenutally you learn it's no longer fun when the blood from your ears stains the carpet :2:

My stolen experiences were all in S. Florida where it's a lot more common than it should be, glad to be out of hell personally :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
gseepes said:
Don't forget the sat radio. :18:

b-quiet extreme deadener - $60

How easy was it to install hte b-quiet?

Also, what areas did you install it?

Looking at a 12' roll, can't imagine needing more.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sharlin...the b-quiet is a snap to install. Just clean the area, cut, peel, stick, and roll. Of course, removing the plastic to get at the metal is the hardest part. If you search, you'll find instructions on door removal.
I ordered the 50 sq ft roll, and have done the entire rear cargo area (under the spare, rear wheel wells), the rear cargo door, the rear passenger doors, and the front doors. I have a little b-quiet left over, maybe another door, but not much else.
The 12 ft roll should get all 4 doors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts