Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching around looking at tires and wheels (rims), and so far the only "non-standard" (eg. non-nissan) options are a P235/60/R19.

But I can't find any wheels for those tires...

anyone managed to find some?? I'm looking for rims larger then the 18" ones..

thanks..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
You must be on Crack! :shock:

Just kidding...I love the wheels on there but I could see using 20" rims like the FX45 will have.

I searched Tire Rack and they didn't even have the tires that came with the vehicle. The OEM tires are 235/65 18 so the 235/60 19 would not be wide enough. You may be better off waiting for the Infiniti FX45 and find a 20" rim that would fit its tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
darrylburke: you are going about it all wrong my friend. what you should do is find the rim you want THEN get the tires that will fit. it's the rims that adds flavor to your car, not the tires. find the rims you like and that will fit too(lugg wise).

now, where to find them...try looking in car magazines, especially "lowrider". that magazine is packed with rim/tire catalogs. i think "car & driver" mag has a few catalogs of rims in their mag. just go to any magazine rack and go through all the car mags. i'm sure you will find what you will like.

here are a couple of sites i found that you might like:
onlinetires.com
wheeltech.com
allstarwheels.com/mainframe.htm
 

·
Custom Knife Creations
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dubfly said:
darrylburke: you are going about it all wrong my friend. what you should do is find the rim you want THEN get the tires that will fit. it's the rims that adds flavor to your car, not the tires. find the rims you like and that will fit too(lugg wise).

now, where to find them...try looking in car magazines, especially "lowrider". that magazine is packed with rim/tire catalogs. i think "car & driver" mag has a few catalogs of rims in their mag. just go to any magazine rack and go through all the car mags. i'm sure you will find what you will like.

here are a couple of sites i found that you might like:
onlinetires.com
wheeltech.com
allstarwheels.com/mainframe.htm
I've been looking around all the sites. but the problem is not in the size of the rim but the width..

you can't find. and 19" or 20" in a 234 or 245, they are WAY wider (which the car will not handle)

a 245 would be the widest that I would date put on the car.. according to the calculators you could put a 245/55-20 on it .. but again the rims are to narrow. no one makes them (or the tires)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
darryl:

you should be ok with a tire width up to 265. murano comes stock with 235/65/18. i'm sure nissan left plenty of room for us to customize it. your turn radius should be fine and shouldn't rub. plus, i don't think they make large narrow rims anyway. if they do, you will probably pay a pretty penny.

i was at the auto show in san jose california this past weekend and the salesman told me they just put 20's on a black murano. said, it lasted 2 days, didn't even get to bring it out from the back...said, a guy came in, drove it, loved it and bought it. so, if my nissan is willing to put 20x8.5 rims (8.5 is probably the norm for 20's) on a murano which the tire width would range from 245-265, i'm sure you will be ok.
 

·
Custom Knife Creations
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dubfly said:
darryl:

you should be ok with a tire width up to 265. murano comes stock with 235/65/18. i'm sure nissan left plenty of room for us to customize it. your turn radius should be fine and shouldn't rub. plus, i don't think they make large narrow rims anyway. if they do, you will probably pay a pretty penny.

i was at the auto show in san jose california this past weekend and the salesman told me they just put 20's on a black murano. said, it lasted 2 days, didn't even get to bring it out from the back...said, a guy came in, drove it, loved it and bought it. so, if my nissan is willing to put 20x8.5 rims (8.5 is probably the norm for 20's) on a murano which the tire width would range from 245-265, i'm sure you will be ok.
In theory yeah, I would agree. but I've had a bad experience with this in the past.. the problem is not the inside of the tire., but the outside.. I've had problems where if there is a load in the back, and you hit a bump, the tire raises up and hits the lips of the sheet metal in the wheel well..

I'd have to see it in person, but from what I can see the tire (rear) is already pretty far out. the question is if the suspension lets it go up high enough to normaly go behind the lip (in the case of the larger tire it would hit..)

hmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
darryl

i see what you are saying. seeing is beleiving. i still think you/i will be ok, even with that scenario. sooner or later we will find out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
hey darryl,

i just went to a dealer ship that previously had a black murano with 20" rims on and they had a midnight blue murano on 20's. they fit perfect. the tires don't stick out to a point to be concerned about it rubbing with the body when carrying a heavy load. check this out! they had this size on the murano.....275/45/20 (i couldn't beleive how little difference from 245's to 275's would be)?!! yes, 275's!!!! i thought originally that maybe 265 but not 275. i would have a thicker tire on than 45's to close up the gap but it fits nonetheless!! if it had been any wider, it wouldn't work for you. honestly. if you had a heavy load and were on the freeway and came across a dip, the tire would rub on the inside of the wheel well as apposed to rubbing on the lipps of the wheel well. it's really close though, like i said.

as far as i'm concerned, i'm still going to get 20" wheels/tires but not as wide as 275 on the tires. i dunno, we'll see.
 

·
Custom Knife Creations
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allright.. thanks.. I'm going to check it out locally and see what rims I can get that will fit..

Thanks a lot..


dubfly said:
hey darryl,

i just went to a dealer ship that previously had a black murano with 20" rims on and they had a midnight blue murano on 20's. they fit perfect. the tires don't stick out to a point to be concerned about it rubbing with the body when carrying a heavy load. check this out! they had this size on the murano.....275/45/20 (i couldn't beleive how little difference from 245's to 275's would be)?!! yes, 275's!!!! i thought originally that maybe 265 but not 275. i would have a thicker tire on than 45's to close up the gap but it fits nonetheless!! if it had been any wider, it wouldn't work for you. honestly. if you had a heavy load and were on the freeway and came across a dip, the tire would rub on the inside of the wheel well as apposed to rubbing on the lipps of the wheel well. it's really close though, like i said.

as far as i'm concerned, i'm still going to get 20" wheels/tires but not as wide as 275 on the tires. i dunno, we'll see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
that's another thing. you can always go to a rim shop and try a set of 20's on to see how they fit. you don't have to buy them to try them. if you are still unsure, i would do that.
 

·
Custom Knife Creations
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dubfly said:
that's another thing. you can always go to a rim shop and try a set of 20's on to see how they fit. you don't have to buy them to try them. if you are still unsure, i would do that.
Did just that today.. :) there are a few combo's i'm looking at.. the rims are 20X8.5 and the tires 275/45/20's

I'm looking around $5,500 CAD.. there should be a lot more selection in the spring (as the vehicle gets more popular, and more rims and tires come out)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
hey darryl,

just a suggestion, think about getting a thicker tire than 45s. 45s are low profile tires, very thin, and if you hit a pot hole (depending the speed) you risk damaging your rims. so, they could get bent, not to a point where it is visible, but to a point where you can feel it when you drive. when it comes time to rotate and rebalance your tires, if the rim is bent, it becomes difficult to balance the tire perfect. when you drive you will feel your steering wheel shake at certain speeds (been there-done that). plus, a thicker tire will close up the gap between the wheels and the wheel well which looks/feels a whole lot better! plus, you REALLY feel the road with 45s.

the only problem is that you can't test drive tires, so take my word, go thicker or try on a thicker tire. actually, when you have time, look at the fx45. look at the tire size and the gap between the wheel well and the wheels. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
If you choose to go with a wider tire, you can't usually choose a higher profile tire. If you do, then they'll be too tall and potentially rub the inside of the wheel well. If you want more sidewall then you have to go with narrower tires. I don't know if the 45 profile would be too low considering the tire is 275 wide. It is true, however, that you will definitely feel more of the road including the bumps, but the car should also handle better and steer more quickly.
 

·
Custom Knife Creations
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well there a limit to the options you have.. actually there are non.. the stock or the 20"s.. you have to keep the same outter circumfrance (for a certain %) and there are no combinations that match that are made by any manufacturers.. you can go with a 19" and a 50" but the width is smaller , and again I can't find anyone wh makes 19's in that size..

The 275 with a 45, are not too bad.. the wall is "thicker" then regular tires so there is more support for the tire (as it is required)

The problem is finding the right combination and manufactures who actually make them.


Taylormade said:
If you choose to go with a wider tire, you can't usually choose a higher profile tire. If you do, then they'll be too tall and potentially rub the inside of the wheel well. If you want more sidewall then you have to go with narrower tires. I don't know if the 45 profile would be too low considering the tire is 275 wide. It is true, however, that you will definitely feel more of the road including the bumps, but the car should also handle better and steer more quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Work out the numbers:

Stock tires:235X65R18=9.25 wide X 30.03 diameter

255/50R20=10.01 wide X 30.04 dia (best fit)
275/50R20=10.83 wide X 30.83 dia
275/55R20=10.83 wide X 31.91 dia
285/50R20=11.22 wide X 31.22 dia

Be careful with larger dia tires (not only for clearance) but for sake of ABS. I put larger diameter tires on a Ford Explorer and lost my ABS.

Also, what about the tire pressure monitors????? The transmitters are mounted on the rims inside the tires. I doubt if they would fit on the 20" wheels and if they did they would have to be recalibrated for the larger diameter and I doubt if they can be.

If anybody has any expertise in this let me know. I have a set on my Passat W8 from Tire Rack and they work great with tire temperature and pressure warning system.

I have been looking at wheels for my Murano also but the pressure sensors has me thinking NOT

Try www.discounttiredirect.com they even list 265/40R22=10.43 wide X 30.35 dia.

You just have to find wheels with a 5 on 114.3(5 on 4.5") pattern and a 35 to 40mm positive offset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Tires Sizes

My problem will be quite the opposite of all posted here: I will need some winter tires, and there are none, even going down to 17" rims, there are none in the appropriate size. BTW here is a tire size calculator/comparitor that some might find useful http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Cheers
Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
It is fairly easy to calculate:

tire size (235) X metric conversion (.03937)= tire width (inches)

tire width X aspect ratio(65) in decimal form (.65) = sidewall height

sidewall height X 2 + wheel dia (18)= tire diameter.
235/65R18
stock tire= 235X.03937=9.252 wide X .65 X 2 + 18=30.03 diameter
255/50VR20=255X.03937=10.04 wide X .50 X 2 + 20=30.04 diameter.

The larger the diameter the slower your speedometer will read. A smaller diameter will make your speedometer rad faster (and odometer).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
darryl - you may want to look over on the "other" Murano board (Freshallo....) there are some MO pictures wtih 20 & 22's
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top