Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a new member to this forum and owner of a 03 Murano SE, no Nav, no Bose.

I'm looking over the options for ipod integration, and, of course, we can wait for Apple, Neo and others to get their products ready but it may take a while !
So I have a question about a USA SPEC product (http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.htm). In theory it doesn't work with the murano, but so was the USA SPEC SCD-N66E CD changer ! (as mckwong as shown us)
Since PA10 is emulating a CD changer, my guess is that it should work too.

1) Did anybody try it ?
2) What's the difference between PA10 and PA11 ??? you can google those
3) Question for Jaak: have made some progress with your interface design ?

Anyway, I already ordered a PA10 but they are backordered ! so I need to cancel and find another source. I'll let you know what happens

Actually I don't specially care for the apple ipod, I'm just looking for a way to take my music collection on the road. Any other seamless integration of mp3 players that you know of?

Vincent

·
4,601 Posts
Hi Vincent, welcome to the forum!

I'd say you're on the right track, and it's possible the USA-Spec product will work.

It's so new, it's not even delivered, so no one knows for sure.

There is a possibility that it won't, or it will and the internal CD changer would be disabled in the process.

I'd be fine with the latter, because who needs CD's if you have an Ipod on there. Don't know if the title and track will work, either.

But for what they want, it's worth trying one.

So to answer your three questions:

1) Does anyone have it?
2) "Direct Mode – Optional mode allows manual control of iPod as if in normal use!" is what I suspect is the difference.
3) No, as I'm just too busy and the release of the Pac interface made the whole thing less urgent.

I'm going to watch for when it's available, and if no one else jumps the gun, I may buy one...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USA SPEC sources

Hi Jaak,

Thanks for the answer.

I agree with you for the difference between PA10 and PA11.
I've read somewhere people complaining about PA10 locking the ipod, and PA11 description at usaspec.com has this additionnal feature clearly stated.

Now sources for this thing:
- I found one ebay store that claims to have 7 PA10-NIS in stock for $117 + shipping
- I ordered a PA11-NIS from cardomain.com for a total of $110, but, as I said the item is backordered... In fact PA11-NIS doesn't even show on usaspec.com. Anyway I called cardomain and they told me they've had some of those already and should receive more within 3 weeks

So now, what should I wait for the PA11 or go for the PA10... ARG-

Anyway, I'll keep you posted

Vincent

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cancelled order

Yes it's so new... that now it shows as "This new item is not available yet. Pre-order today (you can always cancel it later)" at cardomain.

They called me couple of times saying November then December, so I cancelled the order.
At any rate, this would be an improvement from PAC since it should let you control the ipod though the radio commands, but it still doesn't display anything

So maybe I'll try something else

Vincent

·
4,601 Posts
Well, we've been waiting for a while for something else...

USA-SPEC knows how to do this, so I hope they actually improve on the product.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed this in my wife's '05, no bose, no nav and it works great! I bought it from Crutchfield for $140 with free shipping. The ipod controls still work or I can use the stereo/steering controls. My only complaint is that I can't seem to fast forward or rewind the tracks. Other than that, the PA11 is an awesome product!

I figure that I did enough lurking on this forum to warrant this update for you guys. :D

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Evil8-

Was it a simple, straight-forward install?

-njjoe

·
Registered
11 Posts
The instructions sort of sucked. There are three plugs for the head unit side. Two of them work in conjunction where one plugs into the head unit while the original factory plug is attached to the second, thereby allowing some kind of signal intecept/modification. The third, smaller plug replaces the factory one all together. I didn't look at the Nissan wiring diagram, but I figured that the original wiring is intended for hooking up a factory cd changer. Keep in mind that USA Spec does not list this as a Murano-specific product. However, I figured it was worth a shot with free shipping and Crutchfield's 30-day no questions asked return policy.

The rest of the install was really simple. There's plenty of room in the center console (by your feet) to hide the 3"x3"x1" device. I attached the ipod cable to it and had PLENTY left after routing it up in the dash and out below the AC controls. That little change container is a perfect spot for my wife's Nano.

The Spec's playlist mode (factory setting) is annoying, so be sure to flip the second jumper switch (you'll see what I'm talking about) and run the ipod in direct play mode. Playlist mode is also very slow to respond to the track up/down inputs. Direct play responds without the annoying hesitation.

The factory display counts track numbers, but doesn't display any track names, titles, etc. In direct play mode, the ipod's screen is still active and works as Apple intended (minus FF/RW). I even successfully tested the photo viewer while playing music. The volume wheel still is active on the ipod, since you can hear the clicking and see the volume display, but it doesn't affect the volume out of the speakers. I guess the PA11 is too smart for that. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
IPOD interface PA11-NIS ( It Works dudes )

Fellow Muranettes,

I just got the PA11-NIS installed this weekend at Al & Ed's audio. They are a big chain over here in So Cal. $150 for the part, $50 for install. I was so excited to hear that the adapter finally existed 2 weeks ago. I did have to order it in advance since they were receiving numerours requests to get this installed. One of the install techs owns a Infiniti 35 coupe: i also own an 06 G35 coupe. He installed it the moment it arrived in the store, and he did my car. Most newer Nissan familiy cars have the same head unit/dual climate control issues we have in the Murano.

As stated, it connects to your CD-Changer output. You can switch between playing a regular CD and then to IPOD/changer just by pressing the CD button. The interface is smart enough to PAUSE/PLAY the IPOD when switching between all modes on the stereo plus when the ignition is turned off. It also charges the unit.
The track buttons on the stereo change the IPOD songs liken normal.

I am inserting the link to the website with all the features. Its pretty sweet and so far has been the best integration that I know to date.

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-237-166-nissan-infiniti-to-ipod-interface-w-auxiliary.aspx

Shoot me an email if you guys have any questions. I still have to play with the Playlists, but so far so good.

·
Registered
741 Posts
<<This interface does not support artist, album, or song title information>>

That's a feature that I would not get rid of with the Nissan interface. Also, it keeps my iPod out of sight without having to hide it everytime I get out of the MO.

If only the steering wheel controls would let me control the iPod, it would be terrific. But, nothing is perfect...

·
Registered
11 Posts
^^^True, but I know what song I'm listening to pretty much right after it starts playing. If its not the song I want, then no problem! I'll just flick this switch here on the steering wheel....:2:

Isn't the Nissan unit expensive? I think that was the main reason I went with the PA11.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can PA11 be used with Satellite as well?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Krush, no according to what they say in the description. This is one other advantage of the Nissan interface. You can always hook the Sat radio to it using the proper cable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The nissan unit costs $50 more, but you can install it yourself (saving $50). The main difference between this and the nissan unit is that you can't control the IPOD on the IPOD, you have to use the stereo to control it, but it does display song info on the RDS display which is why I bought it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts