Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason , other than performance, that I should use high octane fuel? I've been running 87 octane almost all the time since new, 10K miles now, can this cause any engine damage?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Some have reported knock when using 87. In general, there is about a 10 cent increase between grades i.e. 89 is $.10 more than 87 - 93 is $.10 more than 89. This is only about $2 per tank of gas. We get slightly better mileage using 93 than 87.

We have had knock using 87 - but it seemed to be only on one particular fill up - so it could have been bad gas. If I have a choice I go in the middle with 89.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I have run 87 with no negative effects...
I have noticed that I do get better mileage with the better fuels though, but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have been using midrange fuel (Shell Silver ) since I got my Mo and have been able to get pretty good mileage numbers. The only time I really notice a difference is when I am pulling my tent trailer. I find that using premimum fuel instead of midrange I get better fuel economy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The MO's aerodynamics numbers must be pretty good because just adding the roof crossbars and a Thule bike rack (even with no bikes on it) has increased consumption. You can actually hear the wind drag on the highway and consumption was up close to half a liter per 100 km using 91 octane gas.

93 is not available anymore around here since a few years when Sunoco was bought by Ultramar.

·
Registered
416 Posts
87 octane works fine for me...I can't say I notice any mileage difference between reg and prem...noticeable loss in acceleration at WOT with reg....cost difference here; premium 10 cents more per litre or (4.54 x .10) 45.4 cents/gal....approx. $8.00 CAN per tank...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Other than performance, no damage. You can use it without a problem.

If you are noticing knock on regular, your knock sensor is not working right.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Eric, isnt some knock upon accel, when using 87 okay?
It goes away after a sec or two when first starting out .

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
jimthor said:
Eric, isnt some knock upon accel, when using 87 okay?
It goes away after a sec or two when first starting out .

In my experience the knock sensor is sensitive enough to detect the slightest knock, and retard timing almost immediately so the driver never notices the knock. If you can hear the knock, then something isn't working right. I have own two vehicles with Nissan VQ engines - they both recommend super, and I have run regular in both without ever noticing knock.

If it is really hot where you live, then I suppose its possible using 87 could cause more knocking than normal, even with the knock sensor. In that case I would try using midgrade when it is especially hot out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Eric You are correct. It was Very hot out when I noticed it.
It was only at the first couple thousand rpms. then It was gone.

I put 1 tank of super in per month

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am cheap when it comes to gas. I have run 87 most of the 23,000 miles on my MO. I get the same mileage with 87, 89 or 91. I recently switched back to 89 because the low range performance felt better and gas prices have fallen some and with my new job I get paid $0.375 per mile while driving for "business". ;)

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
rugiles, same here i get paid 0.375 per mile too ;)

I have been using the 89 (medium) since i bought Mo with ocasionaly fill up of 93.
So far so good. no pinging.
I have never use 87 though....I just feel guilty putting 87 in ;\;)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
SugarRushMurano said:

I have never use 87 though....I just feel guilty putting 87 in ;\;)
Wow! That is exactly how I feel! - I just run 91 but to make up the extra cost I try to fill-up in stations that sell gas at warehouse prices (Costco - Safeway). I have had no pinging or knocking, even at 100+ outside temperatures.
I am trying to get myself to put in 87 on my next fill-up just to see if I will experience the pinging or knocking problem.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by SugarRushMurano

I have never use 87 though....I just feel guilty putting 87 in ;\

The oil companies love guys like you! Absolutely no insult or disrespect implied, but I had to say it!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I use super because its the recommended octane for maximum performance. I purchased the Murano to drive it fun and fast, not like a Highlander.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
ekaxel said:
quote:
The oil companies love guys like you!
You may be right, but half of what we do with our MO comes from emotional side of things anyway. The reason I do not want to feed my MO anything less than the best in the market is no different than those who spend multiple days cleaning and shining the car just to stand at a distance and admire it. It just feels good!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
in response to ekaxel...

The oil companies love guys like you! Absolutely no insult or disrespect implied, but I had to say it!
Hehehe :rolleyes:
In a way, I am a citizen of an OPEC country.
So a portion of the money do goes back, the more ppl like me the better. But i agree with what u said ekaxel, it is more emotion than logic that are involved in this issue. ;)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There have been only two tanks of econo gas in my Murano.

I always fill up with 93 octane. There is no 91 here in Florida.

However a couple of weeks ago I evacuated to northern Florida to get away from Ivan the terrible.
Because Frances had gone through the area where I went, just a few days before, things hadn't gotten back to normal.
All they had was 87 octane.
With trepidation, I did the deed.
We stayed there for several days running around looking at the area, so I did it again. AFAIK they still don't have premium gas up there.

NO Pinging/knocking.

Homer

No acceleration either! VERY noticeable. :1:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I drove from Portland to Vancouver BC yesterday, 70-75 mph, averaged 20.5 MPG on 87 regular. If I use premium, mileage may go up about 2 mpg.

·
the rally racing nut
83 Posts
i use 87 because i believe that is what the owners manual of my 03 SL AWD says to use. Going up will add more performance, and more gas mileage however, i believe it is all in your head. The price difference between two of the octane levels is so different per gallon compared to the gain in gas mileage. I prefer to save the $2-3 every fill-up and spend it on her oil changes (better synthetic oil). But hey thats just me. And I think the acceleration is all in your head. Yeah, it gives better performance, but so does a K&N air filter. The difference is barely noticable on a dyno, let alone while driving.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts