Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since nobody in this country seems to use their turn signal, this may be a strange occurrence but...

Every now and then when I turn on my turn signal, my finger is in just the right (or wrong) position on the turn signal arm and I accidentally turn off the headlights. This occurs because the headlight on/off switch is on the end of the turn signal arm and is rather loose.

I have had Nissan Service look at it, and I was told that all the new cars that the tech compared were the same, so replacing the item will not repair the problem.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, we certainly need to escalate this higher up in Nissan and/or the appropriate government safety agencies, as it is quite disconcerting to be preparing to make a turn and suddenly be driving in pitch black.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah this happens a lot to me too esp when driving on the highway. The light switch should be parking - auto - on. By having auto between off and parking, one flick will turn off your headlights. Very poor design.

·
4,664 Posts
I don't have a problem with the integration, but I do think it needs to be a bit harder to turn (not difficult) and click into each position, so it's not as likely to move.

I've done it too, and while it doesn't happen often, it's usually when you're trying to do something quickly, that you move it. Like trying to get out of the way of something!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Happen all the time to me during 1 month of owwnerships

This is just the design, nothing loose i think.

Most japanese car has the turn on/off headlight switch as turn knobs in the end of the stick. When one go for a turn signal, the movement of the finger(s) intertia has torque residue and usually that torque turns the headlight on/off switch. This caused you to either turn on ur headlight or turn it off un intentionally.

Bmw or audi uses an extra smaller stick to get headlight on off.
So there are 2 sticks on the left side of the steering wheel instead of one in Murano.

Just like the wiper mode, when you click the headlight stick down one notch, it switch on the driving light and click 2 notches, you get the lo beam. Talk about design for usability :rolleyes:
The turn signal stick and the cruise control on/off swith are combined though.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Japanese twist to turn on headlights have been the norm for as long as I can remember. On many European cars, the headlight switch is on the dash with a knob or pull switch.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Eric L...what time did you go to campuss today?

I have been waiting for your arrival from 9 to 9:30 am CST via the webcam to take ur pic and your mo, but seems that you never come :D

I gave up as there is a conference call I have to attend at 9:45 am CST ...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Eric L...what time did you go to campuss today?

SugarRushMurano said:
I have been waiting for your arrival from 9 to 9:30 am CST via the webcam to take ur pic and your mo, but seems that you never come :D

I gave up as there is a conference call I have to attend at 9:45 am CST ...

Someone did catch me this morning walking in. I guess I'll make a post to that thread 30 minutes before I leave to alert people who want to try to snap a pic again. hehe....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts