Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what a defective Vacuum pump sounds like? Would it make a clicking sound when the engine is at idle?

I thought at first it was the engine knocking as a result of bad gas (lower octane). But, I'm on my third tank and the noise / sound is still there.

It's not very noticeable when the engine is first started, but does get louder when the engine is hot....and, its only audible when the engine is at idle.

I also haven't really noticed any performance degradation, however, I have noticed some hesitation upon pulling away when stopped at a light.

Any ideas from those of you who are mechanically inclined?

Thanks,

Phil
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I can't imagine an engine knocking at idle, if it does, it has a serious problem.
Vacuum pump....hmmmm. I don't think it has a vacuum pump. Most engines use the vacuum from the intake plenum to actuate stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Perhaps you are just hearing the ticking of the fuel injectors.

·
4,664 Posts
Or your engine, believe it or not, actually needs an adjustment. A buddy of mine's New Maxima, needed the valve train looked at, as it definately had a tick in the engine.

Take it to the dealer and tell them you want it fixed. If they say it's normal, get them to show the noise to you on another Murano.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
This might be obvious, but maybe the sound is the AC compressor or fan cycling on and off? My condensor fan cycles on and off all the time when the car sits at idle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No....it's not the AC fan cycling on/off. I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday. I'm very interested to find out what it is. Hopefully, it's nothing serious.

I'll post the finding's on either Friday or over the weekend.

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts