Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues with my rear hatch not opening with any of the buttons. Checked the valet switch in the glove box, and it was set so the hatch should open. Had it at the dealer and they said it was all fixed. They just had to clear out a code in the system. When I got home, I noticed that the hatch opened with all the buttons except for the ones on the hatch itself. I also couldn't close the hatch with the close button on the hatch itself. So, back to the dealer I go. First thing they do is check the glove box switch. It had been turned off, apparently by someone there the last time I had it in for the hatch problem. Turning it back on fixed it.

So here's my question: What is the point of that switch in the glove box?? It doesn't keep anyone from opening the hatch. I could still open with the button on the dashboard, and the key fob. I could even open it with the hatch button. I just had to manually lift it when I did that. So why have that switch at all?? Makes zero sense to me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've never tried it, but you're right. If that's all it does, what's the point?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Exactly. What's the point? Even the guys at the dealership couldn't figure out what purpose it serves. LOL
Just a guess but there are probably people who do not want the door to open and close automatically when they are standing in front of it. Either to reduce wear on the motors or because it scares them.

The same people probably still want the key fob and the button on the console to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The purpose of the switch in the glove box is to turn off the electricity to the power lift gate when going through an automatic car wash. You should open your glove box and push that button before entering a car wash. Turn the button back on when exiting the car wash.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
748 Posts
The purpose of the switch in the glove box is to turn off the electricity to the power lift gate when going through an automatic car wash. You should open your glove box and push that button before entering a car wash. Turn the button back on when exiting the car wash.

I hope this helps!
Why? Will the water activate the hatch? I only wash my car by hand or touchless in the dead of winter, but never switched this off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why? Will the water activate the hatch? I only wash my car by hand or touchless in the dead of winter, but never switched this off.
The potential exists for the water jets or the washing mechanisms inside the car wash to inadvertently open ur rear power door. The switch inside the glove box shuts off power to the exterior buttons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts