Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Nissan Murano Burns oil about a quart every 2,000km.
I replaced the PCV valve and added an oil catch can, also the engine bay is pretty dirty but i cant find any leaks anywhere.
when i had the intake off i noticed the intake manifold was wet with oil.
however,I see no blue smoke from the exhaust.

i have been reading and apparently the baffles can get clogged with old oil, restricting the flow of air back into the intake.
has anyone ever replaced the valve cover and find it fixed their oil burning?

·
Super Moderator
7,996 Posts
I think the more accurate term is "oil consumption". If it's not going through the combustion chambers, you're not burning it.

If you have enough oil leaking that it's wetting the intake manifold, then you may have a problem - which would be vastly preferable to actually burning oil. I'm not familiar with the baffle issue, and the only one I found reference to is inside the valve cover. But a cracked valve cover could result in a significant oil leak.

It would help to clean off the engine and start looking for a visible leak. If you'er losing enough oil to matter, it should be visible pretty quickly.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I believe there are a number of reports of the spark plugs seals in the valve cover leaking requiring replacing the valve cover.

Try searches like this in the 1st gen forum:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually, i found a leak today to what appears to be the forward camshaft position sensor.
will clean and replace and see what happens.

i am getting alot of white smoke though..cant seem to notice any tint of blue, and its not black either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts