Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have any notable VDC experiences? I mean specifically, incidents specifically related to VDC (not simply the ABS activating, as in a sudden stop). I am not even sure how you could tell the difference between the VDC, TCS, and ABS systems activating. It may help those of us with VDC learn about its advantages and limitations, and for those who are comtemplating getting VDC on a new Murano, whether or not it's worth it.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
there are two things which I've expereinced with the VDC, one positive and one negative..

I've had the "decelleration" on the hard turn with the wheels hitting gravel.. it was very predictable and handled good.. the not so positive was during the winter.. I find the back end swings out (and keeps going..) for a FWD (then convert to AWD) I find the back end kicks out to early and hard to predict/get back in.. (in power) I think this is more handling then the VDC

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
I recently posted a story about how the VDC saved my butt on the way to work. I took an exit with a sharp curve way too quickly in the rain. I usually drive in the mid-80s, so when I slowed down to the mid-40s for this curve, I thought that was slow enough. No way. I got into the turn and the rear end immediately let go. It just went right into a glassy-smooth slide. After about 5-10 degrees rotation, the front let go. After the front slid a few inches to the left, that's when the VDC kicked in.

I felt the front left and both rear brakes get applied on their own. The g's shifted sharply to the front left corner. The VDC immediately recovered from the slide in time for me to execute the second half of the S curve without incident. The whole incident lasted between 3 and 5 seconds, although that is probably a long estimate. It happened very quickly. The end started to come around, the front let go, the VDC saved it, the car dove to the front left corner on its own, and then I had slowed down enough to execute the second half of the exit without incident. Whatever the VDC cost me, I'm sure it saved me more in axle, wheel, and frame damage and lowered resale value as I was heading for a fairly tall concrete curb at the time that would have ruined my day.

The first time I felt it, though, was during the first few weeks of having the car, when I hit some loose gravel exiting a highway. I've been used to sliding through that gravel for many years, so it was a little shocking to feel just the front left brake apply on its own (and take all the fun out of that exit ;) ) If you regularly do "spirited" driving or have to face wicked ice every winter, its quite worth it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yep most definitely. I had just moved for graduate school to Illinois from sunny California, and experienced my first snowy winter ever! Driving on the highway in the middle of a blizzard (ok ok I know, not too bright) I took a off ramp at moderate speed. Being cautious, I decided to slow down before the turn, and as soon as I tapped the brakes, the ABS chatter started and I lost complete control as the back end started to kick out. As I struggled to countersteer, the SLIP light came on, the ABS chattered away and suddenly I was straight on the road again. Amazing system.

The first time the VDC ever activated for me was when I was making a lane change at 65mph on the highway. It was early evening when the sun was directly on the horizon, and very difficult to see ahead of the car. Well a Passat to my right must not have seen me signalling because the woman just gunned it as I began my lane change. I saw it and cut back to my lane, and in the process noticed the SLIP light come on. The manuever was without drama because of the VDC.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I 'tested' the VDC last winter to see how well it worked. Under heavy acceleration in the snow the rear end does slide a bit, but the moment the SLIP light comes on the car seems to have a life of its own and makes a bunch of groaning noises for a second and then everything is under control. I tried to do a slide in an empty parking lot last winter and found that the VDC was very controlled and easy to predict. In my mind, the VDC makes this a great winter vehicle. Any SLIP that is detected is promptly corrected and simply removes any qualms I have with this car.

I don't fool around on the road in the snow and feel that the VDC is simply looking over my shoulder offering assistance when necessary.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Snow MO said:
I 'tested' the VDC last winter to see how well it worked. Under heavy acceleration in the snow the rear end does slide a bit, but the moment the SLIP light comes on the car seems to have a life of its own and makes a bunch of groaning noises for a second and then everything is under control. I tried to do a slide in an empty parking lot last winter and found that the VDC was very controlled and easy to predict. In my mind, the VDC makes this a great winter vehicle. Any SLIP that is detected is promptly corrected and simply removes any qualms I have with this car.

I don't fool around on the road in the snow and feel that the VDC is simply looking over my shoulder offering assistance when necessary.
Ditto to all of that. I've never had the VDC come on except when I purposefully caused it to. I feel that if I had had VDC when I was involved in the accident that claimed my Jeep, I would not have even been in an accident.

Of course I learned a valuable lesson in writing off my Jeep... slow down when it's slippery!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts