Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the blower motor in my 2006 Murano with a new VDO motor. (part nuimber PM 9316)
It works well. But has one very odd behavior. When turning the heat/ac off (push the "off" button on the console), the blower will race to full speed for a couple of seconds and then shut off. It also does this on start-up (it zooms for 1-2 sec, then settles into the correct speed).
Everything else about it works correctly. If I turn on the heat with a cold engine, the system won't run the fan at all until the engine temperature rises a little. Then it starts the fan on low speed and increases it as the engine warms up, which is the correct behavior.
Also... if I put the old blower back in, these weird start/stop behavior is NOT there. So it is definitely an attribute of the new blower.
Has anyone else ever seen this? I could understand if it was completely whacked and didn't set the speed correctly at all. But it works perfectly except for this odd start/stop behavior.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I replaced the blower motor in my 2006 Murano with a new VDO motor. (part nuimber PM 9316)
It works well. But has one very odd behavior. When turning the heat/ac off (push the "off" button on the console), the blower will race to full speed for a couple of seconds and then shut off. It also does this on start-up (it zooms for 1-2 sec, then settles into the correct speed).
Everything else about it works correctly...
Any time an aftermarket part is used to replace an OEM part and system functionality is not the same, you have to consider the possibility that the aftermarket part is faulty. Another possibility is that the aftermarket part is not quite built to OEM specifications so while it generally works fine, it doesn't handle the intial current surge well when the circuit is energized.

Also... if I put the old blower back in, these weird start/stop behavior is NOT there. So it is definitely an attribute of the new blower.
If the original blower motor still works then why did you replace it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any time an aftermarket part is used to replace an OEM part and system functionality is not the same, you have to consider the possibility that the aftermarket part is faulty. Another possibility is that the aftermarket part is not quite built to OEM specifications so while it generally works fine, it doesn't handle the intial current surge well when the circuit is energized.

If the original blower motor still works then why did you replace it?
The original motor was starting to make an annoying ticking sound at low speed. There is no debris in the fan. And trying to oil these things is usually a temporary fix at best. Once the bearings start to wear a little, you can't really make it run super quiet again without replacing it.

It's not just when the circuit is turned on. It does it when I shut if off as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,521 Posts
The original motor was starting to make an annoying ticking sound at low speed. There is no debris in the fan. And trying to oil these things is usually a temporary fix at best. Once the bearings start to wear a little, you can't really make it run super quiet again without replacing it.

It's not just when the circuit is turned on. It does it when I shut if off as well.
Not having looked as closely as you have, is it possible to swap any electrical board that might be present on the housing?

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
A spike happens when an electric motor is shut off as well. Clearly, there's something wrong with the VDO part. Frankly, I would suggest returning it citing that it was defective and see if a replacement works normally. Any replacement part should be expected to at least work like the original even if it isn't manufactured with the same level of quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was tempted by the idea of swapping out the controller circuit board that is attached to the motor. If money were no object, and I could screw around for a week diagnosing this, I would have loved to do that, just because I like to know WHY things don't work. But in the end, with a replacement warranty on a new part, the smart thing to do was just return it and get another one, which I did, and the replacement works flawlessly. In fact, it is QUIETER than the VDO blower.
Curious story. The first one was VDO, even though AutoZone says the part should be Continental. The replacement was actually a Continental. The Continental is made in China, but there's no denying that it runs whisper quiet and has the exact speed range of the original, while the VDO was audibly louder, although not so much that you'd think it was bad.
Other stores all stock this replacement part as "Continenal / VDO" as though they sell both brands and they are interchangable. But they are not the same. The housings do not look exactly the same, and the blower wheel has a nut on the end of it on the VDO, but not on the Continental. These are small things, but it does imply that they are not coming from the same factory. I also noticed that the Continental has a few small metal clips on the blower wheel in random locations, which I assume are there to balance it - no such things on the VDO, which may explain why it was louder. I find it impossible to believe that wheel is balanced right out of the mold. The Continental one was clearly balanced by somebody checking it and adding weights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was tempted by the idea of swapping out the controller circuit board that is attached to the motor. If money were no object, and I could screw around for a week diagnosing this, I would have loved to do that, just because I like to know WHY things don't work. But in the end, with a replacement warranty on a new part, the smart thing to do was just return it and get another one, which I did, and the replacement works flawlessly. In fact, it is QUIETER than the VDO blower.
Curious story. The first one was VDO, even though AutoZone says the part should be Continental. The replacement was actually a Continental. The Continental is made in China, but there's no denying that it runs whisper quiet and has the exact speed range of the original, while the VDO was audibly louder, although not so much that you'd think it was bad.
Other stores all stock this replacement part as "Continenal / VDO" as though they sell both brands and they are interchangable. But they are not the same. The housings do not look exactly the same, and the blower wheel has a nut on the end of it on the VDO, but not on the Continental. These are small things, but it does imply that they are not coming from the same factory. I also noticed that the Continental has a few small metal clips on the blower wheel in random locations, which I assume are there to balance it - no such things on the VDO, which may explain why it was louder. I find it impossible to believe that wheel is balanced right out of the mold. The Continental one was clearly balanced by somebody checking it and adding weights. cps test chatiw
Obviously, something isn't quite right about the VDO part. To be honest, I would propose returning it refering to that it was flawed and check whether a substitution works typically. Any new part ought normal to at minimum work like the first regardless of whether it isn't produced with a similar degree of value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts