Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i guess i ddi not catch it till too late. I replaced the lf hub bearing and both lower control arms yesterday and the clacky-ratcheting noise is quite loud now (now that the other noises are gone). Its quite pronounced around town, but gets quiet above 35mph.

Im going to add fluid today, as I thought it was the CVT leaking, but it was the transfer case. I am hopeful it will help, but im not deaf and know its probably too late.

My question is this. When it fails, will it be undrivable, or will it just lose AWD and be FWD till its replaced?

I gotta wait till i get the used one from ebay ($300ish) and I dont want to be stranded.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,098 Posts
Well i guess i ddi not catch it till too late. I replaced the lf hub bearing and both lower control arms yesterday and the clacky-ratcheting noise is quite loud now (now that the other noises are gone). Its quite pronounced around town, but gets quiet above 35mph.

Im going to add fluid today, as I thought it was the CVT leaking, but it was the transfer case. I am hopeful it will help, but im not deaf and know its probably too late.

My question is this. When it fails, will it be undrivable, or will it just lose AWD and be FWD till its replaced?

I gotta wait till i get the used one from ebay ($300ish) and I dont want to be stranded.
I would park it until the new transfer case comes...

·
Super Moderator
8,580 Posts
I would park it until the new transfer case comes...
I agree. My transfer case split in half without making noise before the failure. Left me stranded. (Series 1 Murano.)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
It could also make very loud noise /clank as metal parts break scary enough for you to stop and get towed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well last weekend it failed. Unfortunatly my wife decided to take it on a trip last weekend.

Thanks to AAA we got it home.

The answer is it failed by making more noise, then it stopped rransfering power and she just pulled over. No drama, no loud bang.

I have a used transfer case in hand, and will be doing the swap this weekend. Not sure if im going to be pulling the transaxle out the top, or supporting it and lowering the cradle.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Glad it failed without drama!

From everything I have heard over the years, the seal between the CVT and transfer case can be very difficult to get correct... Nissan service shops sometimes need more than one attempt at getting it right...

I wish you good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts