1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
yes, :rolleyes:

Did you see who is the head man here?
Malcolm Bricklin!

So OK, the Bricklin was an "interesting" car.

But the Yugo!? :p

And rember the BMW?
Oh, sorry!
It was the Zmw wasn't it?
Due here last year I think?

I smell a shyster in the mold of DeLorean, only with more Chutzpah.

I'm sure a lot of money will change hands.

I have doubts that any cars will show up.

And I have serious doubt that any Good Cars will show up.

Neat link tho, SugarRush. I enjoyed it.
And very well deserving of your rolleyes!

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Recent news has Visionary Vehicles coming to the US 6 months later than expected, sometime towards the end of 2007. Rumor has it they are reengineering the cars to meet US crash test standards.

I believe that the launch of Chinese cars in the US market will be more successful than say, the initial launch of Hyundai vehicles, which were originally junk, but now are pretty good cars. I doubt the new Chery cars (I think they agreed with GM to use a different name for the US market since Chery sounds like Chevy) will lead off with Hyundai quality (did I just say that? well admittedly recent Hyundais are way better now), but will quickly catch up (well at least less than the 20 years it took Hyundai to catch up). If they can launch with a stellar 10 year warranty, I don't see why open minded people won't try them out.

Of course there will always be the folks who say "buy American" and then buy a Chrysler built in Mexico, or a Ford built in Canada.

There has however been some controversy that Chery is outright copying the designs of other cars. The Chinese domestic market Chery QQ was an outright clone of the "Chevy" Daewoo Matiz. That matter has been privately settled between GM and Chery through the courts I believe, but the results were not made public. The Chery convertible looks like a Solara from the side and the front fascia has a resemblance to the Aston V8 Vantage! :p

Also before we condemn Bricklin, he had many flops, but he also brought Subaru over to the US!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
It will be interesting to watch

No pensions, No medical, Us emissions, Crash testing to do, Disritbution, Service training, Wow Waht a bunch of tasks. Very crowded segment of the market. But I guess their production cost will be less than half of ANYBODY else in the world.

Be very interesting to say the least.

Grip.

·
5,244 Posts
I had a chance to witness opening of GM Buick Plant in Shanghai in 1999. At that time China relied on foreign car manufactures. Since then, may things have changed. It is public knowledge that China does no respect patents and copyrights. So all “Chinese” cars are direct copies of American, European and Japanese cars. The car companies however seems to be quiet about it as they do not want to upset China and its potential market. The true is that China does not spend money on R&D, shamelessly copies everything from the west, utilizes slave and prison labor, controls currency exchange rate etc. There is nothing we can do about it. And yes, they will be successful. It is only matter of time. I am giving them no more than 10 years and we will see many “made in China” cars here. If you do not believe – look at Walmart and other supermarkets. The true is China learn quickly. And yes we do export know-how and technology. If they cannot get it legally they steal it. So we may laugh now but wait 10 years. There will be nothing to laugh about.

Just to prove how quickly China acquires technology here is exerpt from a press release:

"The Chinese government and Airbus have signed a deal which could see the European aircraft maker assembling some planes in China. The agreement emerged as Chinese Prime Minister, Wen Jiabao, toured an Airbus plant at the firm’s headquarters in Toulouse. ... "

·
4,994 Posts
Kris is right

China aims to be the dominant world country by 2025. We need to buy carefully, Establish trade agreement that are fair. You can sell as much as you buy. etc.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yep, China will be the dominate buyer in 2025, I have no doubt.

An economy that has never had a recession.
The largest amount of buildings ever being built simultaneously.
Over one billion consumers domestically.

Anybody with any money better get in there while the getting is good. Many hundreds of trillions will be spent buy the Chinese public by 2025.

But QUALITY cars by 2007?

...hmmmm......

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
May turn out like Subaru.
Yes Malcolm imported the Subaru.
The Subaru 360.
The 360 stood for engine size in CCs.

Many people here do not remember, or choose not to, but Japan built and brought to the US a LOT of pure garbage.
And they had No service. No parts.
The Subie 360 was a prime example.

After Malcolm went broke (His dealer network had multiple lawsuits against him) subaru decided to try it on there own.
They establishd a HQ in the US (Cal) and basically set about setting up a proper service and parts environment as they slowly spread across the US.
The rest as they say is History.

Think Malcolm. Think Yugo.

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
Homer,

Malcolm is not important in this equasion. What is importan is your mention of Japan. China is simply following Japan and Korea. And is doing it very well. And it scares me.......

·
4,994 Posts
The biggest problem is

Their total unwillingness to ever see the other side of a situation or if they do, to not care about it. They are completely one sided in their relations and IMO could care less about others. The integration of commerce, government, military and social spheres is really frightening.

·
5,244 Posts
GripperDon, add one more thing - they do not have Wallstreet and do not care about quarterly earnings. They think longterm. And it really scares me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts