1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this article
Vote your fav car.
it is interesting how much hype is on the corvette :rolleyes:

·
Registered
792 Posts
The new Corvette really is quite exciting when you think about what you get for the price. Very close to Viper beating number for about 20K less. Run with a high percentage of cars built for less money. I read an article about the engineering built in to the new Vette and it is quite stunning.

Of course - if you aren't a sports car fan - this isn't an issue.

There are lots of cars I don't understand the hype. The biggest one has to be the H2...It has no more off-road capability than any GM truck/SUV it shares it's platform with. It isn't pretty to look at. If I were AM General I'd be pissed that they screwed with the Hummer name - which actually is an off-road machine. Now, for the percentage of the buyers who actually use it off-road.....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The last Vette I test drove (I had an 88 for several years) was a 2001 (Or 2002) . It was a Z06 model.

Maybe because I had one, I don't consider the excitement around vettes as "hype".

Most folks have never even drove a new vette.
They are quite simply, World Class Supercars.

I am just going to have to fork that new 400HP vette.
The 350 was amazing and far more sophisticated than the much more expensive (but maybe slightly faster) Viper.
And the Z06 that I rode was even better.
Although I don't know if I can handle a car that can beat 4 seconds flat 0 to 60. And that's what that Vette was rated at, I belive
Put it this way, it buried you in the seat.

It was perfect to do that old money trick in.
That's where if you could reach a $100 bill that was taped on the dash of a Cobra while accelerating to 60MPH, it was yours.
Well, I doubt that you could do that in any machine that can do 0-60 in 4 seconds flat.

It just BURIES you in the seat.
AND it Corners .
AND it Stops.
AND it runs 175 MPH top end.
AND it gets Great Gas mileage of 18/28.
AND if the Z06 is a bit much, you could have given up "maybe" a .5 sec to 60 and saved several thousand dollars.

NOW the new standard vette has 400HP.

Oh my.

I don't think it is "hype".

Homer

·
Registered
792 Posts
To go along with our anti-American car post :)

The Corvette is by far the most exciting vehicle made by GM - possibly any American car company. While the Viper wins a lot of the straightline tests - the Corvette is far more refined. It'll make fo an interesting Motor Trend High Power Shootout :)

I'd love to have a Viper GTS and a Corvette in my garage - although I don't see either happening any time soon. Now where's my PowerBall ticket :)

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apology on using the phrase "hype about corvette".

I was bluntly saying it without reliazing that lots of ppl here in the forum are a big corvette enthusiast. ;)

From my earlier post, you all will be able to guess that i am not an arden supporter of corvette. Dont get me wrong. I read and see lots of good review about the new vette. One of the manager in my dept drives a maroon vette, and yes it is a real fast, reasonably affordable and sexy car.

Personal taste, I am more into convertible/roadster that are imports and not too intoxicatingly zoom zoom (horsepower is not top of my list).
Such as:
Germany ==> Z4, SLK, TT, MB SL, Porsche boxter
Asian ==> Z, S2000
Exotic ==> Aston Martin DB Vanguish; my fav.
Sat in one before and planning to get it oneday when i am 45.

For now, i just settle with the MO :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts