Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching Speed Channel...........just saw drag racing - 350Z with VQ engine with "slight modifications", just a little bit of boost etc. (not my words!)..............the guy went off the line, but in no time at all he had > 150 mph! Apparently the VQ was developing > 1,000HP..............is that real?

If so, do we really know what are we driving......................

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK,

let's get rid of CVT, make a few mods and surprise more than a few Murano and not only Murano drivers....................but than again my is only FWD...............I guess AWD would be needed.........too early to trade in (unless you are Don;) )...........will wait a bit......

:D

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Smarty Pants! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
The motor can certainly handle this kind of power... However, the weakest link in the VQ is the rods, which absolutely need to be replaced for this kind of application.

Heck... People adding a S/C or a turbo to their G35s are having catostrophic results since the boost builds up so non-linearly. Rods snap, and KA-BOOM!

:eek:

And adding any kind of power to the CVT =

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I'll never forget the VW bug I saw waaaay back in the 80's do a 10 second pass at the pro/am drags in Rockingham.
:eek:
Had to come back and edit cause I was away workin on stuff before I submitted and saw the other responces.
I noticed that the rods they were using in that car were carrillo rods, a must for any 7+k rpm motor or engines that have their compression ratio so drastically upped by turbos or blowers. Also, you have to clamp the main caps better and the heads as well. I get a kick outta the kiddies when they say they are gettin a turbo or NOS or something like that and have no idea what they will do to a standard engine. I just grin and say, "Really? Kewel."
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts