Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, slow down and remember I've got no savvy about GPS or anything regarding wiring into a car or what-have you...

That said, I wanna Nav for roadtrips. I didn't buy it with the Mo, I'd like to be able to take it out in the other car as well, plus a couple other preferential reasons.

Should I go standalone like a Garmin unit? I already have a PDA (Palm Tungsten-E) that I use only for taking notes at work, and balancing my checkbook -- not sure if I'd want to use the PDA for nav, is my point; and my home computer is a Mac -- don't know if Garmin software will run on it, it didn't mention on their site.

I'd like [whatever GPS] to run off the 12V socket in the armrest, and if possible have its own audio or an FM modulation option.

Also to consider is any updatability of the map bases, which I know Garmin doesn't exactly offer -- may or may not be a hindrance.

*sigh* just a Nav system and a Gamecube to add, then I just may have the perfect vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW the reasoning is mainly because I'm usually the guy screaming at the Mapquest printout ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Garmin StreetPilot III. I picket garmin because they offer good maps for Canada, particularly if you are not near the US border.

Their MapSource software does not run on a Mac. I use the 12V outlet near the glove compartment.

If by updatability of the maps you mean you doing it manually on a computer I am not sure this can be done. I recall seeing how to do it on the web but am unable to find the link again so maybe I was mistaken. Phoning Garmin would likely get you an answer - I have been impressed with their support. If by updatability you mean do they produce newer maps that are compatible with existing equipment the answer is a qualified yes. I can only speak for the SP III but so far I have added V5 Mapsource and Canadian maps. Magellan has the reputation of having better US maps.

The SP III has worked well for me.

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
I love Macs, but it's often a pain finding applications that run on them... So this will restrict your choices.

I'm delighted with my iPaq running navigation. I started a two hour drive yesterday and 10 minutes into it, it was giving me an accurate estimated time of arrival. It was 1 minute wrong at 10 minutes into the trip, as I found out 105 minutes later. Not bad!

If all you want is standalone Nav, the Garmin product is nice... There's also others out there, like Navman, etc.

Take a peek at www.gpspassion.com

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Magellan Roadmate 700 (which I have and like), and Garmin 2620 have all the maps on an internal harddrive, eliminating the need for a computer.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
jammadave, i am using the same setup as jaak...

This is my opinion:
---
IF you already have a plam tungsten, what you need to be able to do pda- navigation is a good GPS antenna and a good navigation software. Maximum investment is around $250 ish dollars. $100 for software and $100ish for hardware. If you get the bluetooth gps receiver, it will cost 2x more, so set $300 budget in total.

Visit the gpspassion forum for reviews of hardwares and softwares.

My setup is:
- nateq iguidance software, www.navteq.com
Navteq is the same company that build mapquest (and gps in audi and bmw and land rover)
- holux gps receiver, non bluetooth version, www.holux.com with WAAS enable and SIRF protocol support allowing <7meters of accuracy

The goodness of using pda are:
-- cheaper, gven that you already have color TFT pda or pocket pc
-- you can find and use any GPS softwares that you like.
(interface, point of interest, display method etc).

Why not try the pda way first? Then if you dont like it, go get the garmin (or other dedicated gps unit).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts