Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
NISMO apparently has cams available for the VQ35 as well. Which ones are better all depends on who you ask.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
strange I know with the GA cams getting a retune is what unleashed the full potential.The stock ecu is set with the timing of the cams for the stock shafts(obviously)but opening valves longer and deeper and to get full potential you would need a retuned ecu.The nismo ones I believe would act the same also but the site doesnt say anything about it.Lemme ask Mike about it.

·
5,268 Posts
danifilth said:
indeed its correct(ecu retuning for full potential)

How improved engine performance will affect the CVT?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
The JWT intake cam is advanced 2 degrees. I agree that a tuned ECU will make quite a bit of difference, but does anyone do that for the Murano yet?

Also, intake and exhaust work would help a lot too.

I think the CVT would take the extra power fine. I have been quite hard on mine, with many, many off-the-line starts at WOT in Low, and I have 26,000 miles with no CVT problems. It would shorten the life of the CVT, but probably not much. I wouldn't go all out and add more than 40 or 50 hp, but that much should be fine. Also, the cams add mostly top end power, not much torque. I think torque is what you need to worry about with this transmission. Just look at how the ECU limits throttle from a stop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah same as he said.As for the ECU retuning I am sure JWT could/would do it.I think the price is 695 or 595 and if you get more mods its 100$ less than the first price everytime after.As for the CVT this is the first time Nissan has used this type of CVT and no one else had the balls to do it in fear of it not working.So its my understanding that this is still experimental in a way.There is no way its going to take too much HP,TQ more and also when you add these numbers you should be changing the fluids you use and with the CVT you cant.You have one choice(or so Im told)Personally I think the idea of modifying an SUV for performance is kind of dumb because you arent going to get too great a thrill in an SUV scared you are going to flip taking turns at 50mph.Besides it is an SUV.If you want to create lots of power get a sportscar they were made for it.Im not trying to talk bad about the MO I just believe its a transporter enabled to get to point A to point B better than an Explorer is all and if you have a bigger family get a Quest.HAHA.I dont have kids but my fiance has a Murano so I joined to discuss with you guys.Nissan builds a great stock car keep it how it is.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
danifilth said:
Nissan builds a great stock car keep it how it is.
Sorry, can't do that. I'm a tweaker at heart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts