Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mo owners,
Just want to share my experience with you.

1. Oil dip stick, its very hard to read the oil level. So I just used file to make a few scratches and sharpie marker for contrast. So far so good and reading
Is much clear now.

2. I bought brake main cylinder adapter
from amazon to bleed brakes.
Works very well.

ARES 18002-50.7mm Master Cylinder Adapter - Use with Most Imported and Some Domestic Vehicles - Use with Brake Fluid Bleeders https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQ6MYG...abc_9V8E3S35QT6031KBCYSV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,093 Posts
Both should work nicely!

Remember that before checking oil with the dipstick you should let the car sit with engine off for at least 10 minutes. Oil returns to the pan very slowly on the Nissan V6.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Both should work nicely!

Remember that before checking oil with the dipstick you should let the car sit with engine off for at least 10 minutes. Oil returns to the pan very slowly on the Nissan V6.
Also dont check your oil when the car is completely cold. It will appear to have too much oil. I checked my oil in the morning after the car sitting overnight and thought it was over filled. Ran the car then checked again in 15 mins was perfect

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
IMO, the overnight reading was the more correct one...

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also dont check your oil when the car is completely cold. It will appear to have too much oil. I checked my oil in the morning after the car sitting overnight and thought it was over filled. Ran the car then checked again in 15 mins was perfect
Interesting, i had similar situation with Mercedes, so I just pulled dipstick out at night and in the morning did reading.
Newer had issues.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I think the main point Pilgrim was trying to make is that taking the oil level reading right after the engine has been running will not be accurate as quite a bit of oil that would normally be in the pan is still in other parts of the engine.

A reading on a cold engine should be the most accurate since most of the oil that was circulating through other parts of the engine should have drained back into the pan since the engine was last running. And, keep in mind that an acceptable oil level is really a range with some margin for error. As long as it measures within the high/low marks on the dipstick then nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the main point Pilgrim was trying to make is that taking the oil level reading right after the engine has been running will not be accurate as quite a bit of oil that would normally be in the pan is still in other parts of the engine.

A reading on a cold engine should be the most accurate since most of the oil that was circulating through other parts of the engine should have drained back into the pan since the engine was last running. And, keep in mind that an acceptable oil level is really a range with some margin for error. As long as it measures within the high/low marks on the dipstick then nothing to worry about.
Except every oil change procedure I've ever read says to run the engine first and then check after 10-15 minutes for the exact reason given by joesatch.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Except every oil change procedure I've ever read says to run the engine first and then check after 10-15 minutes for the exact reason given by joesatch.
The reason for running the engine first after the oil change is because the oil filter is empty and you won't have an accurate measurement of what's in the pan without doing so (i.e. the level will appear more "full" than it actually is).

·
Registered
154 Posts
The manual even states to run the car then shut off for 10 mins then check. If you check a completely cold car, all the oil has seeped down into the pan. This is thin oil folks i

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason for running the engine first after the oil change is because the oil filter is empty and you won't have an accurate measurement of what's in the pan without doing so (i.e. the level will appear more "full" than it actually is).
I usually add some oil into a new filter before I get it on. Just do this way so many years ))

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The manual even states to run the car then shut off for 10 mins then check. If you check a completely cold car, all the oil has seeped down into the pan. This is thin oil folks i
Is that what it says?

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

I usually add some oil into a new filter before I get it on. Just do this way so many years )
This is a great practice to preserve the main and rod bearings, but not quite as practical with the horizontal position of the Murano's oil filter, IMO. I very much wish it had a vertical oil filter, not just for this reason but also to limit oil spillage when removing it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, you want to run it and then check after an oil change for the reason you stated. But my manual (for 2018 Murano) states in at least two different places that for checking oil (not just after a change) the car should run and then sit for 10-15 minutes. Maybe you can share where your image came from since it's possible they changed the procedure over the years or different model years have different engines.

Here is from my manual:
Page 8-6 Do It Yourself
CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL 1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply the parking brake. 2. Start the engine and let it idle until it reaches operating temperature. 3. Turn off the engine. Wait more than 10 minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan. 4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean. Reinstall dipstick. 5. Remove the dipstick again and check the oil level. It should be between the H (High) and L (Low) marks B . This is the normal operating oil level range. If the oil level is below the L (Low) mark A , remove the oil filler cap and pour recommended oil through the opening. Do not overfill C . 6. Recheck oil level with the dipstick.

Page 9-4 Maintenance and Schedules
Engine oil level*: Check the level after parking the vehicle on a level spot and turning off the engine. Wait more than 15 minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan.

Comments that the overnight or cold engine reading are "most accurate" are flat out wrong. Is the difference large, no. But the dipstick is a tool designed to measure the warm engine oil level, as indicated by the part I made bold above. A cold reading could give a reading that is in range but then drop under the low mark after completing the proper check procedure.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum 2WD White
27 Posts
I don't care what the manual says. I been changing oil for over 55 years on my cars and on others when working in the garage. Filing the filter is a great idea and I have been doing it for many years. Any oil added to the filter even if its horizonal mounted is a plus. Letting the engine for a small amount of time it also a good idea to check for leaks(although 10 to 15 minutes is excessive). If you know the amount of oil you put in and it is the amount that is required then it is a waste of time checking it on the dip stick. Most of the time if you check the dip stick right after changing you will have a hard time reading it as the oil will be super clean.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I changed my oil to dead accuracy then ran the car down the street. I decided the next morning to check the oil when the car was completely cold and it was way over the full line on the dipstick. I ran the car to warm it up then shut off and let it sit for 15 mins. When i checked it after that it was perfect. In the old days, yes, you can check oil level on a completely cold car , not this car.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
But my manual (for 2018 Murano) states in at least two different places that for checking oil (not just after a change) the car should run and then sit for 10-15 minutes. Maybe you can share where your image came from since it's possible they changed the procedure over the years or different model years have different engines.
The snapshot I posted is from the 2016 service manual. Out of curiosity, I checked the 2016 owners manual and it has the same language as what you posted from the 2018 owners manual. If the 2018 service manual was publicly-available, I'd guess that it has the same language as the 2016 service manual since Nissan hasn't made any noteworthy changes to these engines in years. So, why is there a difference between the language in the owners manual and service manual? I don't know--maybe because both manuals were written by a different group of writers and they obviously didn't talk to each other.

Nevertheless, both the service manual and the owners manual state that if the engine has been running then one should wait (at least 10 or more minutes) before checking the oil level. The reason is to allow enough oil to drain back into the pan to get a reasonably accurate measurement. If you check the oil 10 minutes after and then wait another hour, you will likely find that the oil level has changed on the dipstick (higher) because oil is still draining back into the pan long after 10 minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts