Nissan Murano Forum banner

How long do you warm up the car for before driving it?

• Yes, until the car has completely warmed up (3-5 mins)

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Yes, for about 1-2 mins

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Yes, for less than 1 minute

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • No, i do not

Votes: 16 30.2%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I was wondering if you warm up the car before driving (especially in the winter) and for how long do you do it.
Input is greatly appreciated!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Yes I warm up the car more than 2 min especially if it is really cold outside!

I read from somewhere that FOR modern car letting the engine idle too long will do harm on the o2 censors and catalic converter. :bonk:

Yet, imho, warming up the car will give sufficient time for the engine oil to flow into engine parts and reduce start-up "damages " caused by lack of lubrication.

Sometimes, i let it idle for a minute or two, and drive away with gentle gas-ing and smooth rpm climbing.
When it warms up, then i drive it hard LIKE THIS: :runaway:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I find myself waiting even when it isn't cold if it is the first time starting it. After it has been driven I just go. I know some people that start them up and hammer down. Too each his own.

·
5,268 Posts
I live in Atlanta so is quite warm here. Mobil 1 synthetic oil is my choice so lubrication is not an issue even in cold condition. I do not ‘warm up engine”, however, I do not floor it at the beginning of driving either. I usually wait for torque converter to lock up. Then it is time to really drive…..

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
When the stick is below the bottom of the temp scale, I usually bring it up to the bottom of the scale before leaving. And when I do leave, I, too, drive very gently to coax it up before hittin' it. I have about a half-mile drive strictly at 25mph to get out of my townhome community, and then about a mile at 40mph with 4 lights to get to the highway. She's always warmed up by the time I hit the highway. I commute over 75 miles each way, so when I was using the Mo to commute, I found enough stuff to do to get ready for the trip while it was warming up, sometimes stopping at Starbucks halfway to that highway.

Now I start up the rental before breakfast when its 32 or below. My parking spot is highly susceptible to frost, and I hate scraping.

·
5,268 Posts
EasternPA said:
My parking spot is highly susceptible to frost, and I hate scraping.
many options: get a garage or better move South!:D

Did you say your mother lives in Florida?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I have a terrible cold and maybe it has settled my brain, but I don't know what you mean when you refer to "the stick" is below the bottom of the scale and bringing it up to the bottom of the scale. Does that mean getting the temperature indicator to not be resting on the lower pin of the indicator scale? If so then I understand and I did not have brain death just the body died. Damn bad cold. Grip :16:

·
5,268 Posts
GripperDon said:
I have a terrible cold and maybe it has settled my brain, but I don't know what you mean when you refer to "the stick" is below the bottom of the scale and bringing it up to the bottom of the scale. Does that mean getting the temperature indicator to not be resting on the lower pin of the indicator scale? If so then I understand and I did not have brain death just the body died. Damn bad cold. Grip :16:
Ye, I had the same brain stall...........in the end I worked out it the same way as you did. So we must be right:D

Get better, do not let the cold bring you down....

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Yeah, sorry to over-simplify, but you guys worked it out. Once the temperature indicator starts to move, then it doesn't take long to to get the the normal operating range. I usually wait until the indicator has moved up to the bottom of the temperature range, then take it real easy getting to the first highway of my commute. It is invariably warmed up by the time I get to that first highway, and just another minute or two before I start pissin' people off!

:2:

Feel better, Grip, and you're right Kris, my Mom lives in Central Florida. I'll be driving down on Dec 26, staying until New Year's Day. May make a midweek visit to family we haven't seen in ages down by Homer.. we're still up in the air on that. We don't normally stay in Florida for less than a week, at least when driving it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Car warm up

I usally only warm the car up when the temperature is down to -15C. I to use mobil 1 year round so I don't worry about engine lub when it gets cold. When the temperature goes down to -30- -40C ( at that temp, it is reading the same as that olde F scale) I will let the car warm up for up to 5 minutes before I leave work, the Mo warms up rapidly.:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I live in a freaking cold place (though not this year so far!) but also have a heated garage, so normally just start and launch. This will be the first winter for the Mighty Mo.

If I've left it outside for a long time, long enough to get real cool, I have a couple of things I have to figure out.

The first: can I leave it running, and still lock it with a second key fob or key? Some vehicles canot be locked from the outside with the engine running.

The second item is whether to leave the Mo in Neutral, rather than Park, when starting it in extreme weather? On reguar automatic transmissions, it's much better to leave the tranny in Park while warming up in extreme cold (like -40 and colder). The tranny can get a hole pounded in the fluid. I admit I don't really know how the CVT works, but if it has heavy thick fluid - perhaps in Neutral with the emergency brake on is the way to go. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I don't know about the CVT questions but if the car is running (and in Park) and you try to lock the door with the door auto lock the MO will unlock it. I never tried it with the FOB... I will tomorrow. However and unfortunately the MO WILL let you lock the door with the engine (running and in Park) manually.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The CVT fluid is synthetic so it retains its ability to flow, even in extremely cold temps. Coldest weather here last winter....-43C... no problem for CVT....

·
Registered
844 Posts
senza said:
The CVT fluid is synthetic so it retains its ability to flow, even in extremely cold temps. Coldest weather here last winter....-43C... no problem for CVT....
I understand it did not warm up last summer either from the -43C temp of the winter. Hopefully it will be a mild winter as I have family in the PEG and they were a pretty miserable group last summer.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Stoker - your right...last summer is referred to as the "non summer"
May/June/July /Aug was the coolest summer ever recorded....

·
5,268 Posts
so what was the temperature during the "summer".....just curious

·
Registered
418 Posts
Kris - these temps are in Celcius (C):

Month May June July Aug Sept

Normal 19 23 26 25 19
High

Last 14 17 19 17 17 Aver for 5 mths -5.6 below norm
Summer

Atlanta 26 30 31 31 28

It was a dam poor summer......

·
5,268 Posts
Man, that’s sucks……….

A few years ago I had the pleasure of living in a city with very boring weather………..every night Wilky, the weather man would start “not much happening”…………you would wake up and see blue sky, everyday. Normal during summer (8 months) +34C, what they called “winter” +24C. Once, and I mean once in a few years time, the temps dropped to +5C at 4 AM only to go up to 20C and 9 AM. Entire town talked “how freezing” it was for 2 months. Did I mention no rain for 7 years?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I'm not sure where the poster of this poll lives, but here it takes more like 20-30 minutes (at idle) to fully warm up the engine in winter.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Wow! I hope nobody lets a cold engine idle for 20-30 minutes! Then you'll need to do oil changes every 1000 miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts