Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
My first time posting on here. I have an odd question.
I own a 2016 Murano Platinum.
Today, I was driving with my wife & family. All of a sudden, the car beeped twice and I saw a car symbol flashing on the dashboard that I believe was a goldish color..It is in the area that I have circled below in the screenshot.
At first I thought it was a blind-spot alert. But there were no cars in my blind spot nor any cars in front of me.
I am unable to locate what this is in the owner's manual.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
It was warning you of traffic slowing ahead. It monitors the car in front of you and the car 2 cars ahead. If you ignore that and keep going that's when it does the red / white flashing alert and will then brake on its own.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hello all.
Today, I was driving with my wife & family. All of a sudden, the car beeped twice and I saw a car symbol flashing on the dashboard that I believe was a goldish color..It is in the area that I have circled below in the screenshot.
At first I thought it was a blind-spot alert. But there were no cars in my blind spot nor any cars in front of me.
Thanks.
Dave
View attachment 53774
That looks like the cruise control display area, I don't recall hearing any beeps associated with it...

I wonder if maybe what you heard was a TPMS warning for your left rear tire being severely underinflated?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Seems logical that your driver-rear tire indicating low pressure at 25PSI was probably why you got that alert. That low on air should be easy to see with a visual check. If the tire seems okay, then it's probably a failed/failing tire pressure sensor. I suggest using a manaul gauge to check all of your tires. I check my tire pressure every so often because I don't want to relay on a sensor to do it for me.

EDIT: I don't know which thread I read it in, but it mentioned something about the earlier/older 3rd Gen Muranos having a more integrated system. I seem to recall something about a front camera failure prevented cruise control from working. I believe one of the members responded about that problem being fixed starting with the 2019 model. Not sure if the tire pressure system is linked to all of that in the 2016 and is possibly causing the problem. Does your cruise control work with that warning thing showing?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
EDIT: I don't know which thread I read it in, but it mentioned something about the earlier/older 3rd Gen Muranos having a more integrated system. I seem to recall something about a front camera failure prevented cruise control from working. I believe one of the members responded about that problem being fixed starting with the 2019 model. Not sure if the tire pressure system is linked to all of that in the 2016 and is possibly causing the problem. Does your cruise control work with that warning thing showing?
The front windshield mounted camera was introduced in the '19 MY... The front camera is not associated with ICC... ICC is disabled in MYs prior to '19 if the front 'radar unit' is disabled.

The TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) has no association with ICC operation for any of the 3rd gen Muranos...

·
Registered
700 Posts
The front camera was introduced in the '19 MY... The front camera is not associated with ICC... ICC is disabled in MYs prior to '19 if the front 'radar unit' is disabled.
Looks like it was a front sensor that was damaged in a fender bender that caused a 2017's cruise control not to work. It was worth a shot...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ramness is correct - see post #2 above.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
View attachment 53774
I should have looked at your post more thoroughly, as should have others. You said there were no cars around or in front of you, so AEB should not have been a factor, and ICC wouldn't be looking so far ahead of you that it would trigger anything even if it's able to.

I feel you may have two things that happened. I'm going based on my 2021 SL which may not operate or display the same as your 2016. Do you normally use ICC for driving, and not "regular" conventional cruise control? I ask because perhaps you're not aware that you have two modes of cruise control, and perhaps you've always pressed the "cruise on" button for a long second and that activated regular cruise, and this time you hit the "cruise on" button quickly, which activated ICC.

With my iCC on, that icon cluster displays white. When a speed it set, a part of it turns green (refer to pics). Several times today, I allowed ICC to do its thing from 60MPH down to a traffic light where it slowed to nearly nothing, and nothing ever flashed or blinked or changed color. That is, until I tapped the brake pedal and ICC disengaged and the green part of the icon returned to white. The system merely performed a function to slow the car before getting closer to the car in front of me, but no warning or alert happened.

Since you provided a broader snapshot of your area, I suspect what may have happened was, a warning icon may have flashed (but not in the area that you think) and an alert sounded that was related to the low tire pressure. Or, around the time the beeps happened for the low tire pressure alert, ICC kicked off and the icon cluster for ICC changed colors. I'm not trying to say you don't know what you saw, but merely attempting to provide an alternative to what happened, since I can't duplicate what you experienced, even with cars all around me. As the low tire is highlighted in gold (the color you said you saw) perhaps it's just what caught your eye. :)

EDIT: BTW, I'd have to read the manual to be sure, but I think when the car icon appears above the ICC distance bars, it means there's a car ahead of you. Refer to the last pic that shows ICC on and set, but there's no car icon showing above the bars. Your picture is also showing that car icon. I'm sure MuranoSL2003 will chime in with the correct information...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
[QUOTE="Cryogenix1, post: 763387, member: 158700"
I'm sure MuranoSL2003 will chime in with the correct information...
[/QUOTE]

Where would I begin... 😁

Me thinks you are way overanalyzing, grasping...but that's me... :)

I would think that the OP's pic of the TPMS low pressure indication is most likely the cause of an audible and visible alert given the OP mentioned there was no traffic in front or the side of the vehicle at the time...

Reactions: Candy

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
@David from Gilbert, was your driver's display on the TPMS screen prior to hearing the warning beep and flashing on the screen?

If not, that would further support it was the low tire pressure warning, which seems likely given how low the tire pressure its displaying is...

·
Registered
28 Posts
The OP mentioned there weren't any cars in front of him...
Every once in a while my ICC will alert like that with no cars ahead due to a combination of a pedestrian overpass and uphill grade in the road. The radar senses the overpass and alerts for a split second.

Also, to address a few other comments here, my '18 has the front camera (along with the ones on the side mirrors) and the front radar is often disabled in the winter as it gets caked with snow/ice.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Also, to address a few other comments here, my '18 has the front camera (along with the ones on the side mirrors) and the front radar is often disabled in the winter as it gets caked with snow/ice.
I should have been more clear, I was referring to the windshield mounted camera introduced in the '19 MY for pedestrian detection, lane marker recognition, road sign recognition, etc. The windshield mounted camera is not used for ICC, other than it will disable ICC and begin emergency braking if it detects a pedestrian.

The other cameras mounted in the front and rear bumpers and side mirrors are only used as parking cameras, not ICC. However, they do have the MOD (moving object detection) alerts for things moving near your vehicle when parking.

·
Registered
700 Posts
[QUOTE="Cryogenix1, post: 763387, member: 158700"
I'm sure MuranoSL2003 will chime in with the correct information...
Me thinks you are way overanalyzing, grasping...but that's me... :)

I would think that the OP's pic of the TPMS low pressure indication is most likely the cause of an audible and visible alert given the OP mentioned there was no traffic in front or the side of the vehicle at the time...
[/QUOTE]

What am I over-anazlying? My first post stated I felt it was the tire pressure issue that caused the beeps, then someone else posted later saying it was AEB that was the cause, so I went back to see if my ICC triggers anything like that, and it doesn't. I also thought that if the OP was typically using conventional CC and then accidentally used ICC, maybe he wasn't used to seeing that regular CC's icon cluster.

The only thing I felt you'd confirm is if the car icon appears over the distance bars only when ICC detects a car ahead. I've concluded today that's exactly what happens. When ICC is set and there's no car within maybe 300 feet ahead (I noticed the distance between telephone poles seems to be the distance at which a car will be detected and make the icon appear...) the car icon will be gone. Once you approach a car within the "telephone pole zone" the car icon lights up.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The OP mentioned an audible alarm and glimpsed a display alert. There's a glaring 11 pound underweight TPMS warning being displayed. It seems most of the talk had been about ICC, AEB (automatic emergency braking), cameras, and radar sensors... I find it a bit perplexing that the alarming underinflated tire pressure warning seems to be lost in all the conjecture about ICC and AEB, which to me seems irrelevant given the glaring TPMS warning of a tire that's severely underinflated and may deteriorate further without recognition and correcting...but that's just me... :unsure:

Reactions: Cryogenix1

·
Registered
28 Posts
A few more points to add:
--The OP posted a picture of a Murano dash display but never said it was a picture of his/her own vehicle. Could be a pic lifted off the internet for all we know. So unless the OP comes back and confirms that the pic is from his/her Murano, any speculation on the low tire pressure causing the alert isn't really grounded in reality. The picture also shows a vehicle with cruise set at 45mph, which would of course be an unsafe condition in which to be snapping pictures. Why not just take a pic when the car is stopped? I think it's far more likely that the OP hunted down a photo once he/she sat down to post the question.

--Thanks for the info, MuranoSL2003, about the additional cameras...I didn't not know about that system in the more recent Murano.

--Cryogenix1: The different cruise control modes that you mention was not a feature in the 2016 Murano, and I know my 2018 does not work that way either. In my Murano the ICC is on by default when you turn on cruise control. I believe the ICC can be deactivated in the settings, but I'm not sure if "regular" cruise control will still work or not.

--I looked at the ICC section for my 2018 and there is a note stating: The approach warning chime may sound and the system display may blink when the ICC sensor detects objects on the side of the vehicle or on the side of the road. This may cause the ICC system to decelerate or accelerate the vehicle. The ICC sensor may detect these objects when the vehicle is driven on winding roads, narrow roads, hilly roads, or when entering or exiting a curve. In these cases you will have to manually control the proper distance ahead of your vehicle.
So clearly the system can alert even if there are no other vehicles around, which is the condition I explained in my earlier post (although thinking on that more, I don't typically have cruise control on when I'm on that section of road, so it might actually be the Automatic Emergency Braking system alerting).

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Today I saw a glimpse of the car icon the OP mentioned turning orange or gold (I was wearing brown lens polarized eyeglasses which tend to distort color a bit) along with a barely audible chime when I was quickly approaching a car in front of me, maybe a bit too close... It's the first time I noticed it, and I don't know if my '19 experience is relevant for a '16...

So, yeah, I agree, it's all conjecture given the OP hasn't chimed in with feedback... lol

·
Registered
700 Posts
I wonder
Today I saw a glimpse of the car icon the OP mentioned turning orange or gold (I was wearing brown lens polarized eyeglasses which tend to distort color a bit) along with a barely audible chime when I was quickly approaching a car in front of me, maybe a bit too close... It's the first time I noticed it, and I don't know if my '19 experience is relevant for a '16...
I wonder why I couldn't get mine to chime or blink or change color when I tried the other day. Did you have ICC on and pressed the gas pedal to accelerate towards the car in front of you? If so, I didn't do that. I just let the ICC control the gas and deceleration until I felt it was time to apply the brakes to come to a stop. I know what AEB does and sounds and looks like, but I didn't realize ICC might also produce some warnings. Guess I'll try some different things...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I wonder why I couldn't get mine to chime or blink or change color when I tried the other day. Did you have ICC on and pressed the gas pedal to accelerate towards the car in front of you? If so, I didn't do that. I just let the ICC control the gas and deceleration until I felt it was time to apply the brakes to come to a stop. I know what AEB does and sounds and looks like, but I didn't realize ICC might also produce some warnings. Guess I'll try some different things...
No, I didn't have ICC engaged at the time.

I was going ~20-30 MPH and approaching a bit too quickly and closely while maneuvering in traffic... The alert will only occur if your foot is not on the brake pedal. If you're on the brakes even a little, the system assumes you are in control...

It's difficult to produce the AEB alert on demand. The natural tendency is to touch the brakes when approaching cars in a fashion that will produce an alert...

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Murano Platinum
3 Posts
Hello all.
Thanks.
Dave
View attachment 53774
I have a 2016 Murano Platinum as well. I had issues with my "Sensor" as well flashing for no reason saying there was a veh, but only one was in the other lane, or 2 lanes over. In the Spring, the Warning came on about Radar Obstruction & I lost the ability to use my Cruise Control (along with Hundreds of others per the Web). Obstruction notice popped up after about 15 min of driving. When I took it in, the dealership said the Sensor was "Out of Alignment" and charged me about $400 to Re-align it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts