Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, out of the blue, I run into a problem w/ the driver side rear door open indicator. It states the rear door is open on the console and also has a little display in the dash. I checked all doors and the hatch. I even went as far as to open and close the gas door. Everything is frickin closed yet the indicator still tells my arse that the door is open.

All the dealerships are closed on Sundays, so I can't get it looked at until next week. I turned off the dome and removed the "door lights" so the battery won't drain.

I remember reading some posts a while back, but don't know if there was ever any definitive cause that could be identified. Some ppl blamed the cold, others didn't think it was cold related.

All I can say is WTF? First my fan motor goes and then this malfunction? What next? The car is only a year old and we bought it brand spanking new (12 Miles on it). Should I trade my MO in?:mad:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"Should I trade my MO in?"

Certainly.
Your expectations are too high for a vehicle of this class, IMO.

Mine were too.
As a domestic car maven for 40 years, I came to the Murano with all the hype about japanese vehicles.
I knew they never failed, because that's what all owners of the Japanese brands had told me.
I had 6 "failures" in the first 6 months of ownership.
Some, like the steering rack being loose, was directly tied to the vaunted Japanese workmanship.
For comparative purposes, my last car was a 97 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan.
It was the LXI, abslutely top of the line.
It never had a single failure or visit to a dealer thru the basic warranty period.
At about 5 Years it had an idler pulley freeze up which caused the Serpentine belt to shred.
Catastrophic failure.
But it was the ONLY thing that ever went bad in 7 years of ownership.

I was ready to sell/trade the car after 6 mos.
On my first extended road trip, I took the Title with us. That was documented right here on the .org
It was a 5000 mile odyssey from FL to Tx/OK then MO a week in TE climbing up and down the mountains, and then home. About 30 days on the road.
I knew that we would leave with the Murano, it would fail, and we would return with something else.

But something happened on the way to the expected trade in.
The car performed flawlessly.
And it has continued.
I have now owned the car for 30 months and there have been no failures after the initial spate of problems.
I now consider it one of the best cars I have ever owned and am willing to accept a modicum amount of failures as I intend to keep the vehicle until the 2009 cars are out.

Expectations are individual.
IF you feel the car is not up to your standards, you must follow the mandate of John Wayne who said,
" A man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do."

A man shouldn't drive a car that he cannot bond with. Ever.
I certainly wouldn't think less of anybody who feels the Murano is not for them.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would make sure the sensor/plunger on the door is working correctly (just press it in) before resorting to such extreme measures as getting a new car.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Coness-

Let summurize... You've owned the car for over a year, have had two problems (this one being relatively minor) and now you are questioning whether you should trade it in for a better-built, more reliable car. Out of curiosity, what car would you get in place of the MO? What car in this price range would you expect to have absolutely zero problems over a year period?

I concur with Homer, I believe your expectations are a bit high. The M) is a pretty decent car that has raven to be very reliable once the kinks were worked out after the first two model years.

-njjoe

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that it is not comparing apples to apples, but I am comparing my MO to my A4. I have had 0 issues w/ that car for the first 4 years. We bought that one brand new too. I baby both cars and don't understand why a fan blower would go out and now this.

My frustrations are with this specific car and not all MO's. I just don't want to run into more problems with this car after the warranty runs out. I would more than likely trade it in for another MO.:D

Eric - I tried looking for the sensor / plunger and couldn't find it. Perhaps I am just blind.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Coness said:
I know that it is not comparing apples to apples, but I am comparing my MO to my A4. I have had 0 issues w/ that car for the first 4 years. We bought that one brand new too. I baby both cars and don't understand why a fan blower would go out and now this.

My frustrations are with this specific car and not all MO's. I just don't want to run into more problems with this car after the warranty runs out. I would more than likely trade it in for another MO.:D

Eric - I tried looking for the sensor / plunger and couldn't find it. Perhaps I am just blind.
You are right....there is no plunger! I just checked myself. I guess its part of the door latch then.

·
Registered
781 Posts
An A4 that didn't have any problems??? That's one of the only I've ever heard of...Seems like any A4 owner I talked to had problems.

Eh - I had the door sensor thingy. Took it in to the dealer - they couldn't reproduce it - it never came back. Dumb luck?

The Murano is one of the only vehicles I could recommend to anyone who asks. It has a little bit of everything that seems to make it a great vehicle.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
The A4 is great

But the Murano is even better. They are not comparable in purpose or complexity. THe Murano is still the best combo of Price, Design, Material and Construction around.

Just slam the lid harder and get on with it. If that doesn't work go to the dealer. I thnik you are overreacting.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The MO is a great vehicle and I love it. That is why if I needed to trade it in, I would get another and rid myself of the other possible issues that may arise from this specific one. I've slammed the door many wonderful times w/ no luck. Oh well, it goes in tomorrow morning.

Serious, I have had 1 problem w/ the A4 in the 5 years that I have owned it. Outside of regular maintenance stuff. Knock on wood that I don't have anymore...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Trade it in on a Ford or GMC They recall millions of cars/trucks( and have a lot more that need recalling). They have a great deal of experience dealing with problems.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Never had a Ford that caused as many problems as the Nissan. And their sunroofs open all the way.........

Haven't been many GMs in my life.......but GM is looking better.
GTO is interesting and the SOL and SKY are DYNAMITE.

Homer

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
FORD Family !!

all my inlaws have Ford ..... im talking about 6 Fords, including Mustang, f-150, taurus, minivan(yea i forgot the name) and bla bla ..... i wanted my first vehicle to be a nice and one heck of a nice looking car.... so when i tested MO..... while waiting for an oil change on Da wafe's taurus i made my mind for it. but i must say, Taurus never had any issues with it except for minor problems, like battery, break lights etc.... but after owning murano i was faced with real "car breakdowns" .... but damn i still love my MO.....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK...WTF....The temp has dropped and now the sensor magically turned itself off. I can now lock my doors when driving.

Like the other people that have stated the problem, I believe that it is temperature related.

OMG - I only hope that I can reproduce the issue!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let's just hope that this is a one time deal. I am still going to have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am having the same problem with my MO. It even happens while I am driving but always goes away when I get near the dealer. Got the old can't fix what I don't see. This has been going on for about a year now. Trips the alarm in the middle of the night and dome light stays on. Have since learned to keep the dome light off and the spare remote next to the bed. It happens for about a week at a time then works fine for a month or 2. :rolleyes: Has anybody had any luck getting this fixed?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kevin150 said:
I am having the same problem with my MO. It even happens while I am driving but always goes away when I get near the dealer. Got the old can't fix what I don't see. This has been going on for about a year now. Trips the alarm in the middle of the night and dome light stays on. Have since learned to keep the dome light off and the spare remote next to the bed. It happens for about a week at a time then works fine for a month or 2. :rolleyes: Has anybody had any luck getting this fixed?
Kevin150-

It's a shame you can't park your MO in your dealer's driveway so when the alarm goes off in the middle of the night he can attest to it. :p

-njjoe

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, the thing mysteriously disappeared the night before taking the car to the dealer. I've since turned the dome light off and popped out the driver and passenger side door lights. Don't for get to do that Kevin150;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts