Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across an interesting problem with the Mo, and figured I'd share.

About 2 years ago, some friggen kid stole 2 of the vavle caps (alum) so I got 2 replacements(metal) and. Tightened them up (with a wrench, but not to tight, just so you can't use hand pressure to take them off)

Well..... Yesterday I went to adjust the pressure, and guess what.

Both of the stems with the alum. Caps snapped right off. Air completly out. Damn. The 2 metal caps were fine. Seems the alun ones oxidized enough to sieze to the stem.

Big $$$$ later, and I have two new stems (with pressure sensors) and 2.5 hour job at the dealer.

Lesson: 1) get rid of the alum caps 2) or don't tighten the caps (and see them on the local kids bikes later on)

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you live in an area where roadsalts are used, aluminum caps are not recommended. I replaced mine with locking valve caps. They just spin around when you try to remove them.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I've never actually known valve caps to be tightened with a wrench, I always just hand tighten. The metal valve cap is actually part of the TPMS, serving as an antenna for broadcasting out the signal.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CopperKat said:
If you live in an area where roadsalts are used, aluminum caps are not recommended. I replaced mine with locking valve caps. They just spin around when you try to remove them.
Funny how Nissan Canada, didn't know this :S

also.. the final bill for 2 TPM's $450 CAD..

OUCH!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yikes, I've seen the monitors for about $80 US each. Of course that isn't installed, but it should not have cost that much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts