Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Murano started having vibration issues a year and a half after purchase, After four trips to the dealer to find the issue was informed vibration caused by a missing bolt on the exhaust manifold support. Dealer states that missing bolts is not covered under the warranty thus charged $372 for replacing the bolt. Any similar issues where Nissan has denied warranty coverage?

· Registered
3,562 Posts
I would expect the bumper to bumper warranty to cover EVERTHING except for misuse or abuse...

I would contact Nissan consumer affairs.

Reactions: Pilgrim

· Registered
3,562 Posts
2020 Murano started having vibration issues a year and a half after purchase, After four trips to the dealer to find the issue was informed vibration caused by a missing bolt on the exhaust manifold support. Dealer states that missing bolts is not covered under the warranty thus charged $372 for replacing the bolt. Any similar issues where Nissan has denied warranty coverage?
Can you describe the vibration, like when it occurred, and what speed?

· Registered
244 Posts
Was it not covered due to mileage? If that is the reason and you can show you brought it in multiple times while it was still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty you can force the issue for Nissan to repair. Otherwise…check to the details of the warranty to see if it explicitly excludes the bolts associated with the exhaust manifold. Also…just to be sure…you didn’t have anything done aftermarket that may have involved the exhaust manifold that they are able to use as a way to void any coverage for the bolt that you would have had? Again…assuming bolts aren’t explicitly excluded under warranty.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you describe the vibration, like when it occurred, and what speed?
The vibration was like a harmonic rumbling and was present at 18-48 MPH. Normally happened at 20 mph as well as 40 mph. Dealer says these were the shift points in the transmission.
Was it not covered due to mileage? If that is the reason and you can show you brought it in multiple times while it was still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty you can force the issue for Nissan to repair. Otherwise…check to the details of the warranty to see if it explicitly excludes the bolts associated with the exhaust manifold. Also…just to be sure…you didn’t have anything done aftermarket that may have involved the exhaust manifold that they are able to use as a way to void any coverage for the bolt that you would have had? Again…assuming bolts aren’t explicitly excluded under warranty.
Only 19000 miles on vehicle, 12 months warranty left. No one has touched the Murano other than for lube/oil and Nissan while searching for the vibration. I have sent a note off to Nissan Consumer services about this issue. Find it hard to believe the dealer stated someone must have worked on the exhaust when the vehicle still has the original exhaust on it. If someone needed to work on the exhaust why would I take it to someone else when the warranty would have covered any defects? I think the charges may be the dealership trying to make up for the other 3 times they were working to find the source of the issue. Service represenatives stated the first two visits that the rumbling was normal on the Murano's. On the third visit, insisted on test driving another Murano which did sound normal then had the representative go for a drive in our vehicle which was not normal. At times I could lock in the vibration by putting on the cruise control.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
The vibration was like a harmonic rumbling and was present at 18-48 MPH. Normally happened at 20 mph as well as 40 mph. Dealer says these were the shift points in the transmission.
I have had a similar rumble/resonance when the revs drop to 1000-1100 at ~20-41 MPH -- is this the same range as your rumble?

My resonance would go away if I shifted into manual mode (which raises the revs 100-200 rpms).

Is the rumble/resonance completely gone now?

I always felt it was something to do with the exhaust system, I just didn't find anything when I looked... I need to check my exhaust manifold bolts...

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rumbling is gone now and only hear what a normal transmission sounds like. I never looked to see what rpms I was at but the rumbling would drive you nuts since it was at the speeds we normally drive at around here.

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
I have some problems understanding "vibration."

A loose exhaust manifold bolt will cause noise, but not vibration. Where and how does "vibration" manifest itself? A rumbling sound is not vibration, it's noise.

And since I've had a loose manifold bolt more than once in different cars, usually it causes either a "tapping" noise or a fairly obvious exhaust sound, which might indeed be called a rumbling noise.

I'm just trying to get a clear idea of whether there are two problems (noise + vibration) or just one.

Either way, a missing or loose bolt is absolutely a warranty problem. I sold cars for two years and there is no other answer for a vehicle under warranty.

Reactions: Robotaz

· Registered
15 Posts
Makes one wonder if an oil drain plug fell out after an oil change at a dealer.under the 12000/36 warranty

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The noise/vibration was a rumbling sound which has disappeared since the bolt was installed. The dealer says missing parts that should be there are not covered under Nissans warranty so have opened a case with Nissan to reimburse me for the repair. Not my fault the bolt fell out or is missing.

· Registered
933 Posts
The noise/vibration was a rumbling sound which has disappeared since the bolt was installed. The dealer says missing parts that should be there are not covered under Nissans warranty so have opened a case with Nissan to reimburse me for the repair. Not my fault the bolt fell out or is missing.
Horrible and lazy dealer response. I assume by “dealer” you mean an idiot service person who doesn’t represent the actual dealer. No way is that person, the owner, not calling Nissan to get parts for free if left to him/her.

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
Its the fault of Nissan for not tightening the bolt correctly - or for installing a bolt which is faulty and breaks. This is exactly why warranties exist.

If the dealer balks, you can go past them to the Zone Manager or whatever they call their next step up the company.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Contacted the Service Department Manager as well as Zone representative who both say parts that are missing are not warranted. Have opened a complaint with BBB as dealer/Nissan has refused to take care of the issue on the bumper to bumper warranty. Per the dealer's word "Repair costs due to a missing part that should have been there are not covered under the warranty". The missing bolt that was not there but should have been should be covered. As the Service Manager stated, it is a very time consuming repair to replace the missing bolt. My qustion is why wasn't the bolt there that should not have fallen out?

· Registered
3,562 Posts
It's absolutely absurd this is not covered under warranty, period.

I'd keep going up the chain...

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
Contacted the Service Department Manager as well as Zone representative who both say parts that are missing are not warranted. Have opened a complaint with BBB as dealer/Nissan has refused to take care of the issue on the bumper to bumper warranty. Per the dealer's word "Repair costs due to a missing part that should have been there are not covered under the warranty". The missing bolt that was not there but should have been should be covered. As the Service Manager stated, it is a very time consuming repair to replace the missing bolt. My qustion is why wasn't the bolt there that should not have fallen out?
If a bolt was missing, the vehicle was not assembled properly.

Therefore the bolt replacement should be covered under warranty. It doesn't matter if it's a complete engine teardown - if one bolt had been left off inside the engine and it was discovered, the warranty would cover the labor to replace it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts