Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

So took my car in for an oil change at the dealer, had a coupon so saved about $20 or $30 -- but more importantly there was this terrible noise coming from the front of the car -- constant whining.

It was not the radio and I am 100% certain of that.

But had the service guys look at it. Ended up spending just over $600.00 CDN.

What did I get done?

1. CVT transmission fluid drain and fill $260.00
2. Drive belt area making noise $162.00 (can't remember what they said it was -- but no noise anymore)
3. BG rear differential service $128.00

My Murano is just over 104000 km (64000 miles) -- did I need to get this done?

They mentioned tires (51% - 75% but I had them changed last year, and I don't drive that much), brakes (also done last year but front 4mm, rear 6mm), cabin air filter, AC service.

Also they found rodent activity, and I know we caught several mice in the garage. What can can I do to keep mice from chewing away? We have traps set-up but haven't caught anymore mice but the last thing I want is a huge bill due to mice (and having to file an insurance claim).

What's next to get done? Do I trust them on it and get it done? What absolutely should get done?

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
The price for each of those services sounds reasonable to me. I would bet the noise was a worn accessory belt.

Try doing some online searches, but I personally would trap and release the mice. Dead mice smell bad.

What else needs to be done? Take a look in your owner's manual and see what services are recommended at 100K. The CVT and rear differential are a couple of good candidates, and you've done those.

Reactions: mos2009murano

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
Place a few sticky traps, with a dap of peanut butter in the center of each one, around your garage. If they're around, you'll know real quick because they love PB.

If you have a lot of mice, do a little research on making a "mouse bucket trap". Lots of videos on YT. Better then a mouser cat.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey All,

So took my car in for an oil change at the dealer, had a coupon so saved about $20 or $30 -- but more importantly there was this terrible noise coming from the front of the car -- constant whining.

What did I get done?

2. Drive belt area making noise $162.00 (can't remember what they said it was -- but no noise anymore)

They mentioned tires (51% - 75% but I had them changed last year, and I don't drive that much), brakes (also done last year but front 4mm, rear 6mm), cabin air filter, AC service.

Also they found rodent activity, and I know we caught several mice in the garage. What can can I do to keep mice from chewing away? We have traps set-up but haven't caught anymore mice but the last thing I want is a huge bill due to mice (and having to file an insurance claim).

What's next to get done? Do I trust them on it and get it done? What absolutely should get done?
1. Have you bought this car new or used?

2. Have you serviced this vehicle based on the mileage and the specific services for it?

3. I use this site to get a fairly accurate repair cost estimate based on my zip code and the dealer so far they have matched the cost kicking and screaming. I am not sure if it works in Canada. For example, the CVT flush was estimated at $181.00 and the dealer originally asked for $250.00. Well, they honored the $181.00...! The estimated cost of Cabin air filter replacement (2 filters involved) is $80.00. The Dealer wanted $130.00 but they gave in and honored the $80.00. I asked to see the two filters. They showed them to me and they were let's say not clean and they gave them to me based on my request. I collect dirty air filters. Just kidding.......,:p

4. I have 26600 miles on my MO which is like yours. I replaced the back wheels rotors last year and the front brake pads seem to still have life-based on the last month's inspection.

5. Looks like you have mice nest somewhere in your garage, basement, etc. Find the nest and destroy it!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The estimated cost of Cabin air filter replacement (2 filters involved) is $80.00. The Dealer wanted $130.00 but they gave in and honored the $80.00. I asked to see the two filters. They showed them to me and they were let's say not clean and they gave them to me based on my request. I collect dirty air filters. Just kidding.......,:p
2 cabin air filters?

I am only aware of one cabin air filter... Maybe you are including the engine air filter in that count?

·
Registered
297 Posts
2 cabin air filters?

I am only aware of one cabin air filter... Maybe you are including the engine air filter in that count?
You are correct. I did include the engine one. I have replaced both of them at the same time twice since I purchased the car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The engine air filter and cabin air filter are both available at Walmart for about $13.00 each if I remember right. The engine air filter is a very easy install. The cabin air filter is a bit of a PIA but can be done if you have the patience and don't mind hanging upside down. You Tube videos are great for instructions.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey All,

What did I get done?

Short answer for the 3 items listed is yes, #1 & 3 were both arguably overdue.
Maintenance manual suggests 96,000km for the CVT drain and fill and 48,000 for the rear diff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey All,

What did I get done?

Regarding your mice problem: If you park in a garage and have an electrical outlet, buy one of those sonic rodent repellants that emit a high pitch that rodents (rats, mice, squirrels,etc) can only hear. I don't think it affects cats, dogs, etc. I think you can get them at a hardware store. I bought mine online several years ago. Haven't been using them in the last year or so. If you park outside, may use an extension cord an place it underneath the engine compartment. These are not rated for outdoor so you'll have to protect it from the elements.
Another suggestion might put some fox urine crystals (I think you can get them at some hardware or farm supply stores) and place them (or maybe some mothballs) in a small tupperware container with holes punched in the lid.
Good luck.
I had a Mercury mountaineer many years ago and had rodents chew wires (happened twice). Cost me a few hundred each time. This was 10 or more years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The engine air filter and cabin air filter are both available at Walmart for about $13.00 each if I remember right. The engine air filter is a very easy install. The cabin air filter is a bit of a PIA but can be done if you have the patience and don't mind hanging upside down. You Tube videos are great for instructions.
Just an aside, we have had the cabin filters replaced twice in our ‘15 Murano, due to the intense wildfire smoke in Northern California. I think that was in 2017 and 2019. The offer was a pleasant surprise each time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just an aside, we have had the cabin filters replaced twice in our ‘15 Murano, due to the intense wildfire smoke in Northern California. I think that was in 2017 and 2019. The offer was a pleasant surprise each time!
I left out the most important part...the filters and labor were at NO CHARGE!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts