Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been lurking around here trying to absorb as much as I can before asking something stupid, but my new MO arrives either Thurs or Friday ('04 MidNight beautiful Blue Pearl SL AWD w/Touring Package, thanks for asking!!) and I want to keep her looking good.

Seems the majority like the Zaino or Klase products (think I will try the Zaino, but geez $$$). And now I understand the reason for using Dawn on that first wash, so here is my question...what do you use to wash the car with to prevent any swirls? Are those car wash mits safe (assuming they are clean) or should you use a cotton towel or a sponge for washing (I know you use it for drying)?
Thanks.

P.S. - also how long does it take to do that first Zaino treatment from wash to claybar to coats of Z2/Z5 etc. ? How much time should I set aside?

·
hail 2 the snail
775 Posts
pre-congratulations............

the mits (provided they are 100% new) should be okay....

the softer the better.........

always wash the roof/hood first, and work your way down (to help prevent bringing road debris/grime up to the top surfaces).....

i generally use a second mit / sponge todo the lower half (below the mid. of the door) as the sand from our roadways always seems to accumilate there.....

wash it (mitt or sponge) thoroughly, and try drying the car with the "absorber" (rubber mat..., comes in a plastic tubelike container - look in the chamois section).... this is best (imo) as you can machine wash it afterwards (jus dont put it in the dryer)

post pix when the delivery is taken!

S

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Zaino treatment will depend on

1. how many coats you put on (which is, in turn related to how obsessive you are and the color of your car)
2. the temp/humidity.

As an example, the first time I did it (on my black S2K), it took me a whole weekend. It was cold and humid so each drying cycle took almost an hour! I was doing other things around the house so it was no big deal. The steps were:
Wash with Dawn
Rinse/Dry
Clay bar
Rinse/Dry
Z1
Z5
Z2 x 6

I know, 6 coats of Z2 seems excessive EXCEPT that the finish just kept getting better with each coat.

I did the MO in one half day this weekend. It's been warm and dry around here and the car has much more surface area so by the time I was finished applying one coat of Zwhatever, it was dry enough to rub off. Also, there was almost no rail dust so the clay bar step went very fast. I skipped Z1 entirely. Finally, since my MO is silver (and the S is black) after 2 coats of Z2, I just didn't see any improvement so I stopped.

So those are probably good examples of the two extremes you might expect with the product.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can someone please tell me (in simpleton terms) what the deal is with the clay bar? I've always been a wash-dry-polish-wax guy but I have no idea what the bar is for nor any idea how to use it. ANY info would be great. Thanx.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Although I've never even used a clay bar. I think the clay 'pulls' dirt out from the paint leaving you with a smooth surface.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You should use a clay Bar on every new car you ever buy...........if you are anal. ;)

And I am, so..........

Here is an article that does a nice job explaining what a clay bar is, what it's used for, and how to use it.

http://tinyurl.com/ssbo

How do you know if you need to do it?
Well, if you have never done it on your car you need to do it.
Or, if you want proof, take some plastic wrap like Clingwrap, or even a Glad Bag, wrap it around your hand and drag your hand across the hood or the side of your Murano. IF it is smooth, you don't need to clay. If, on the other hand it grips and grabs, you need to clay.

I use a spray bottle with a capful of Dawn as the lubricant.
Just move the clay back and forth until the area you are working on is smooth. It doesn't take any pressure at all.
The article explains the rest.

I like the Zaino Clay (Twice as much as some vendors) and ClayMagic.
Meguiars "may" be alright, but they have had problems with their clay.

Homer

·
Registered
176 Posts
:29: Thanx Homer. That link was just the idiot-proof explanation I needed. Now to find a clay bar. I'm not sure who, if anybody, distributes Zaino stuff here in Canada, so I may have to try another. One last question: is there a requirement to do it in a cool shady place like what's required for waxing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info

I can hardly stand it. The new MO should arrive Friday and I plan on spending some quality with her on Saturday:claphead:
I just wanted to make sure I could get through the wash, claybar and coats of Z in one day.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
No req to claybar in the shade but it works better that way.
There are only 10 secrets to Claybarring.
1- only do about a 2'x2' area at a time, MAX.
2- use lots of lubricant
3- don't press down. You are NOT "Buffing" the car. IF there are contaminants, the clay will "Pull" them out.
4- "turn and fold" the clay often when it starts to discolor.
5- use lots of lubricant

Secrets 2 & 5 thru 10 are, use lots of lubricant. ;)

Be prepared to be surprised to see how filthy a "new" car is.

As to doing it all in one day.
Just some comments.
The #1 reason for failure with Zaino is TOO MUCH Zaino being used per coat.
There have been many failures because there was TOO MUCH Zaino used.
There has never been a failure because there was too little used.
Use TOO much and it WILL smear.

The #2 reason for failure is NOT WAITING LONG ENOUGH for the Zaino to dry. Try to buff it out TOO SOON and it WILL SMEAR.
You must wait until you can drag a finger thru it and it is dry and doesn't smear. Could be 15 minutes, could be a hour, could be a day as Halo mentioned.

Now having said all that, there is a thread here that talks about how much to use.
Look at the thread called "ZAINO APPLICATION" for some hints about what is too much and what is just right amounts of Z.

And once you have done it once, you are an expert. It's really easy to do, it's just that people are so used to slopping on some wax and THIS IS NOT WAX.

Homer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Claybar secrets

Thanks Homer, yeah, I have read that other thread about the amount to use. I have been trying to read as much of this forum as possible before posting. Thanks for the tips ( I hate doing things twice) so those will really help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
agree?

Halo said:
The steps were:
Wash with Dawn
Rinse/Dry
Clay bar
Rinse/Dry
Z1
Z5
Z2
Does everyone agree that this is the proper order? I've never used the stuff before and they have a dizzying array of products. Anything else anyone can recommend? What about for glass and chrome?

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
For CDN folks looking for a distributor for Zaino products contact:

Canadian customers:
Mike Adams
Crown Auto Emporium
325 Eramosa Rd.
Guelph, Ontario N1E 2N1
(519)763-8473
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't necessarily agree with this sequence

Originally posted by Halo
The steps were:
Wash with Dawn
Rinse/Dry
Clay bar
Rinse/Dry
Z1
Z5
Z2

Z5 is a Swirl treatment.
It does NG if you don't have swirls in your paint.
And it runs the cost up an additional 16.95

NOw if you do have swirls then you need it.

Homer

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree.

If you read my post, I skipped the Z5 on the MO because it was brand new and had no swirls. The fact that it's silver may have also helped that fact.

However, what I described above was for my S, and being a black car, I definitely noticed some swirls the first time I Zaino'd it (it was about 6 months old by then and had only seen Carnuba).

I also suspect that any new car that hasn't been washed/toweled/waxed with some crappy synthetic towel, Z5 would be unnecessary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Next

Thanks Halo and Homer.
Looks like I'll be making a purchase from the Zaino site soon.

Now, what about glass (inside and outside) and chrome rims?
Also (and I know I'm pushing my luck here but I want to treat it right when it comes in) leather and the plastic dash etc. on the inside.

Thanks again

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, Zaino has you covered on all those items too.

For glass, I just picked up some basic glass cleaner from a car parts store. For leather you can use the Zaino stuff (I've used it before and seems to be OK) but I've also used McGuier's Gold Class leather cleaner and protector. Watch out you don't spray the leather stuff on the plastic b/c it will stain. My brother in law uses mink oil (I kid you not) on the seats of his 911 turbo. Not sure where he gets it though.

For interior plastic I only wipe it down with one of those disposable dusting cloths (forget the name but they go on the end of a mop-type thingie). I want absolutely NO shine to the plastic on the inside of my car so I spray nothing on it. Just a personal preference.

The dowside of all the interior products, of course, is they cover up the new car smell. Which, as we all know, is probably the most attractive smell to anyone with a Y chromosome :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Zaino all the way

I have a Black M-O and I could see swirls very easily. I agree these are the steps:

Originally posted by Halo
The steps were:
Wash with Dawn
Rinse/Dry
Clay bar
Rinse/Dry
Z1
Z5
Z2

But only use Dawn that one time. After that use the Zaino soap. I also purchased the accellerator which when computed cost $98,000 a gallon or $25.00 for 32 drops.

I also use the spray on gloss enhancer. I have used lots of different waxes and glazes but the Zaino product is the best. The clay bar only has to used once a year at the most.
My M-O has a great shine to it that gets deeper with each coat. By far nothing beats this treatment.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: Halo

----------j---- said:
Halo,
Tell us which Zaino you used. I agree Its awsome on Black paint!!!
Your previous post essentially quoted the Zaino steps I used. But, like I said earlier, I wouldn't bother with Z5 if it's a new car since it won't have swirl marks/scratches.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts