Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I found after all the rain we are having that my car is getting moisture on the inside windows which is a red flag that there is a leak inside. I can't find any standing water just some slightly wet areas where the rear seats fold and down below them. The metal rods where the seats fold are rusting, which wasn't happening in March. I know it will be a nightmare. I can't figure out where it's coming from because there really isn't a puddle and the carpet jute (padding) isn't wet. Yet.... It's getting musty and I know it's there. Any suggestions before I take it in. I moved so I'm lacking the good relationship I had with my selling dealer :(

·
Registered
820 Posts
Most likely you have a clogged moonroof drain hose, it's mentioned here from time to time...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't clearly see the drain when I have the sunroof open, where's it located? Also, would that go down to the floor? I was actually starting to think it may just be condensation from the hot and humid weather. The car is sitting (I alternate with my other car each week) so it gets super heated then when it rains it cools and that's when I see moisture on the inside front windows, particularly the passenger front.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would think that if you're finding wet areas, it's a leak. If it's just slightly damp, then maybe condensation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just installed new speakers in all my doors on my 2019 and found 2 of the four doors had been leaking. The plastic seal that keeps the moisture out wasn’t pressed all the way down. I replaced it all with sound deadening so I don’t mind. Just figure this might be worth checking on yours and others with leak issues. Never noticed the carpets wet but when pulling the door panels off noticed the foam at the bottom of the doors was soaked.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think that if you're finding wet areas, it's a leak. If it's just slightly damp, then maybe condensation.

View attachment 51538

While I appreciate the diagram, it's wasted on me. I can't visualize the location of the piece it is pointing to. Also, It's definitely condensation. We had what was probably 4-6 inches of rain so I would think I would have found more than just some condensation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2015 Murano SL developed a moonroof leak during torrential rain this year. It leaks during the record breaking kind of rains and downpours. We've had NO problems with the vehicle until now. Unfortunately, the Murano's main parking place is in the driveway close to a huge 100+ year old oak tree. Apparently, parking under trees makes the moonroof and drain hoses more susceptible to clogs because of the dirt, dust, etc that comes from trees. I was unaware that the drains can get clogged AND that a moonroof requires regular maintenance to keep it clean and running properly. If I knew, I would have done the maintenance myself. The water comes in on the driver's side A Pillar. My Murano is currently at the Nissan body shop. They found the clog in the drain hose which was filled with packed in dirt/dust from the tree. Who knew this could happen? The total cost is $323.00. In all honesty, this is much lower than I was expecting, so I’m happy. I just wish I did it sooner instead of trying to figure it out on my own. I will now be doing quarterly moonroof maintenance (cleaning out the trough, running water through hoses, applying grease as needed) from here on out. If a 2 car garage dropped from the sky, that would be my ideal intervention. LOL

I’ve done extensive research on the internet about these moonroof problems. In all honestly, unless you are mechanically inclined, I’d take the Murano to have the moonroof diagnosed. My husband and I spent COUNTLESS hours trying to figure it out without success. However, if you want to give it a try, below is what we attempted for cleaning the clogged moonroof drain:
--We tested all four moonroof drains by running water down them and pushing compressed air (be careful) into the tubes. We used a water bottle to do this. If you do pour water just pour a little in the corner trough and it will find its way to the hose. The entire sunroof drainage system is a poor design and extremely difficult to work on as a “lay person”. The hose is difficult to access on the top part of the moonroof. There are 4 drains in each corner of the moonroof. To see the hose entryway of the front 2, you must push down the air dam/visor that flips up when the roof is open. We tried pushing a weed eater line down the hose from the top of the roof - it went down, but not enough to clear the clog. The water is suppose to drain out somewhere around the wheel wells. We could see it draining around the wheel well on the 3 that were working properly. We just couldn't find the exit around the wheel well. The clogged drain hose had just a trickle of water coming out. My husband even took the front wheel off to try to find the end of the drain hose.

I know how very frustrating, stressful, and disheartening this leak can be and I want others who have this problem to NOT go through what we’ve been through. Nissan should really have a maintenance schedule in their owner's manual for the moonroof. (I may tackle that one later-writing Nissan) This seems to be a huge problem for Nissan’s that are parked outside. Please let me know what you find out on your Murano.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Awesome post @Kand2010!

Very informative, it will help countless others that read and search this forum for the same problem, and prompt all of us with moonroofs to be more vigilant regarding moonroof maintenance.

Reactions: Kand2010

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome post @Kand2010!

Very informative, it will help countless others that read and search this forum for the same problem, and prompt all of us with moonroofs to be more vigilant regarding moonroof maintenance.
@MuranoSL2003 Thank you so much! I absolutely love my Murano. This is the nicest vehicle that we've owned. My family says I obsess about keeping it clean, so, as you can imagine, I was heartbroken when the leaking started.

I’m happy to help in any way. I may attach some pictures for further reference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 Murano SL developed a moonroof leak during torrential rain this year. It leaks during the record breaking kind of rains and downpours. We've had NO problems with the vehicle until now. Unfortunately, the Murano's main parking place is in the driveway close to a huge 100+ year old oak tree. Apparently, parking under trees makes the moonroof and drain hoses more susceptible to clogs because of the dirt, dust, etc that comes from trees. I was unaware that the drains can get clogged AND that a moonroof requires regular maintenance to keep it clean and running properly. If I knew, I would have done the maintenance myself. The water comes in on the driver's side A Pillar. My Murano is currently at the Nissan body shop. They found the clog in the drain hose which was filled with packed in dirt/dust from the tree. Who knew this could happen? The total cost is $323.00. In all honesty, this is much lower than I was expecting, so I’m happy. I just wish I did it sooner instead of trying to figure it out on my own. I will now be doing quarterly moonroof maintenance (cleaning out the trough, running water through hoses, applying grease as needed) from here on out. If a 2 car garage dropped from the sky, that would be my ideal intervention. LOL

I’ve done extensive research on the internet about these moonroof problems. In all honestly, unless you are mechanically inclined, I’d take the Murano to have the moonroof diagnosed. My husband and I spent COUNTLESS hours trying to figure it out without success. However, if you want to give it a try, below is what we attempted for cleaning the clogged moonroof drain:
--We tested all four moonroof drains by running water down them and pushing compressed air (be careful) into the tubes. We used a water bottle to do this. If you do pour water just pour a little in the corner trough and it will find its way to the hose. The entire sunroof drainage system is a poor design and extremely difficult to work on as a “lay person”. The hose is difficult to access on the top part of the moonroof. There are 4 drains in each corner of the moonroof. To see the hose entryway of the front 2, you must push down the air dam/visor that flips up when the roof is open. We tried pushing a weed eater line down the hose from the top of the roof - it went down, but not enough to clear the clog. The water is suppose to drain out somewhere around the wheel wells. We could see it draining around the wheel well on the 3 that were working properly. We just couldn't find the exit around the wheel well. The clogged drain hose had just a trickle of water coming out. My husband even took the front wheel off to try to find the end of the drain hose.

I know how very frustrating, stressful, and disheartening this leak can be and I want others who have this problem to NOT go through what we’ve been through. Nissan should really have a maintenance schedule in their owner's manual for the moonroof. (I may tackle that one later-writing Nissan) This seems to be a huge problem for Nissan’s that are parked outside. Please let me know what you find out on your Murano.
Awesome share, will have to check it out myself now... even though my '17.5 is parked under a carport. Thx.(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine was garaged from CPO purchase last August till this March when I moved. I suspect it’s been a slow drainer for a while and was overwhelmed by 4 days of S Florida torrential rains. I tested it and it does drain, albeit slowly, and the rains let up so for now it’s not leaked again. Taking to a local show tomorrow. The dealership fee to diagnose was $157 plus tax. I was told depending on how many drains and what they would need to do could be close to $1k to repair. Which is insane! Nissan corporate is no help until after it’s diagnosed and with no promises. Money being tight these days I can’t bank on a question mark. Local guy will diagnose and repair for $85-185 depending on severity. So that’s where I’m headed.

I love this generation for its comfort and convenience but it lacks the quality of my 2010. In retrospect I should have found a way to update 2010 seats and infotainment and kept on driving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts