Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 platinum murano. I bought it brand new from the dealership. It has never been wrecked. Every time there is a heavy rain, my trunk and floors (front and back) are drenched! There aren't any water stains on or around the moon roof. Is it coming in through the seals around the doors and trunk? I have to have the carpets shampooed now because there is mold under the car mats! Any advice?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
It's most likely the moonroof drains...

This thread is from the 1st gen forum, but it will give you an idea of how the drains are accessed:

Reactions: Doitagaingrace

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's most likely the moonroof drains...

This thread is from the 1st gen forum, but it will give you an idea of how the drains are accessed:

So, cleaned out 2005 moonroof. trim off the passenger 'A' pillar. Found hose disconnected/broken at firewall. Fine can fix later, but rain coming--so I completely tape off moon. No rain can get in there. After heavy rain, the disconnected A pillar tubing is wet and a puddle on passenger floor. How the he$% does water get into that tubing IF it just connects to the moonroof corner drain??? Put a bucket under the hose in fron passenger area, it rained again, and more water, not a huge amount, maybe a half a cup had dropped into the bucket from the hose. How???
I don't want to lower the headliner to see this and figure it out.
Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, cleaned out 2005 moonroof. trim off the passenger 'A' pillar. Found hose disconnected/broken at firewall. Fine can fix later, but rain coming--so I completely tape off moon. No rain can get in there. After heavy rain, the disconnected A pillar tubing is wet and a puddle on passenger floor. How the he$% does water get into that tubing IF it just connects to the moonroof corner drain??? Put a bucket under the hose in fron passenger area, it rained again, and more water, not a huge amount, maybe a half a cup had dropped into the bucket from the hose. How???
I don't want to lower the headliner to see this and figure it out.
Thanks, Bruce
The moonroof drainage system depends entirely on gravity and a clear path for the drainage. The gutters that direct water to the drains are "open". If you block off one tube then the water backs up and overflows. My 2019 was leaking water; started after 18 months of ownership. That coincided with a particularly rainy summer this year. This forum pointed me in the right direction. After disassembling most of the interior panels I found a kinked hose (right rear, Thanks Nissan!) that was causing the trouble. The heavy rainfall overwhelmed the ability of the one rear drain to do its job and voila - wet rear carpet. After fixing the one tube I tested the drainage system while the panels were off. That's when I discovered the open gutters. So I also re-ran the driver's side hose to add pitch for additional water flow. No problems since then.
This is not a job for the faint-of-heart. I have a digital Mo service manual and it was very helpful in guiding me through the process of removing most of the interior panels including the top one. All-in-all about 8 hours including the 1 hour spent diagnosing the leak(s). I could probably halve the time now.
One added note: the service manual says to cut the retaining straps that keep the "A" pillar trims from flying around in the event of air bag deployment. Don't cut and replace; just remove the screw on the trim piece.
By the way, the battery should be disconnected until the "A" pillar trim pieces are safely reinstalled.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Wow, that's an ambitious project!

Any chance you could post more and higher resolution photos of the hoses and hose locations?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure about the Murano but I know of a 2017 Honda HR-V that did about the same leak deal, it was the antenna on the back section of the roof that leaked. So along with the Sun / moon roof drains and seals, also check for any other accessory added to the roof, that needs a hole for either a wire or bolts. Roof racks ? Antenna's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts