Nissan Murano Forum banner

Water leak 2017 Murano

1077 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  mrmajestik
Wish I could upload the video. Coming thru the side window. Dealer said I needed a new sunroof, which they just replaced a few days ago. Clearly that wasn’t the problem. Took these pics this morning. I hope they can fix it! Anyone else successfully address this issue? Not sure how it results in all carpets thruout car getting wet.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
If they replaced it, then they should fix it.
Sunroofs leak water when their drain tubes get clogged. Replacing the sunroof does nothing to clear debris out of the lines. Why would they need to "replace" the sunroof?

The carpet gets wet because water obeys the laws of gravity and flows downward. Look in your spare tire well also.

Good luck. I have a friend with a Mo who had some bad sunroof leaks when his 2018 was quite new. I am glad not to have a sunroof on my Murano.
Reactions: 1
Sunroofs leak water when their drain tubes get clogged. Replacing the sunroof does nothing to clear debris out of the lines. Why would they need to "replace" the sunroof?

The carpet gets wet because water obeys the laws of gravity and flows downward. Look in your spare tire well also.

Good luck. I have a friend with a Mo who had some bad sunroof leaks when his 2018 was quite new. I am glad not to have a sunroof on my Murano.
Thank you, but this happened again right after they replaced the entire sunroof. Drains are clear.
Thank you, but this happened again right after they replaced the entire sunroof. Drains are clear.
They claimed that the seal around the sunroof was cracked and allowing water into the walls of the car. No water was actually leaking from the middle of the roof onto seats or anything like that. Wet carpet, coming thru side window area.
If they replaced the sunroof, you should have new seals(?) I am confused as to why the dealer is not completely responsible for finishing their job. Their parts and service should be warranted for some nominal time like 90 days(?). Good luck. Unless it was physically damaged, a '17 seems like too young a vehicle to have cracking rubber seals.
They claimed that the seal around the sunroof was cracked and allowing water into the walls of the car. No water was actually leaking from the middle of the roof onto seats or anything like that. Wet carpet, coming thru side window area.
There have been reports of a bad body seam near the rear, under the roof rail that allows water to enter just like you're showing.

I believe there's a photo that someone posted showing where their leak originated. A quick search should find it.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

PS Your Nissan's service dept is run by a bunch of idiots. Find one that doesn't use trained monkeys to just change parts. Car should have been put though a leak test before spending all that money and time.
Reactions: 2
There should be a whole dealership-hate thread. I have plenty of stories. It's why I started working on my cars myself. And found a good indy mechanic nearby through a trusted friend referral. This leak thing is the kind of thing I'd tear the interior apart myself to confirm the leak. Water leaks can be crazy to find because of how the surface tension allows it to travel unintuitively. You almost have to tear everything apart and hose the car down until it leaks to be sure.
With respect to all, there are indeed some bad dealerships; there are also many good ones. There is also the need for the vehicle owner and service department to communicate clearly, which often fails to occur.

I see no point in an ongoing dealer bashing thread and will delete one if started. Forum members are welcome to post specific information about specific dealers.
Reactions: 1
One or more of your drains is clogged. Here's how I dealt with it:

I had a leak in my '19 (it was still under warranty but I thought the holes were clogged). Since I'm a cheap bastard Idecided to look into it myself. As you can see from the pictures, this is not a job for the faint-of-heart. There are several panels along the sides that need to come off as well as a ton of electrical connections for various things like lights. Airbags on the "A" pillar need to be minded.
I found a kinked lne (rear passenger side where the leak was) that I believe was there since the car was manufactured. Thanks Nissan! from the above post it sounds like an endemic problem!
Anyway, after doing all that (but before buttoning it up and re-installing anything, I tested the system by pouring water in the drains. I still had leaks. The inner gutters are open and too much water flow is going to pour over the edges and cause the symptoms above. A heavy rainfall should make little difference as the seams, assuming they're relatively clean and tight, will not allow enough water to cause an overflow.
BUT, As I watched the water flow I noticed that the drain hoses were not routed in a way that allowed smooth drainage; there was minuscule lessening of the pitch of the hoses that obstructed the flow just enough to cause the problem to recur in spite of my efforts.
Fortunately I was able to re-arrange the lines to add more pitch and the problem has disappeared since. I did this last July and we've had some monsoons.
Hope this helps!
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Plant Tire
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
That's how you do it! Dealership isn't going to do that. At least not mine. Mine will misdiagnose it and change something easy and hope the problem just goes away on its own.
One or more of your drains is clogged. Here's how I dealt with it:

I had a leak in my '19 (it was still under warranty but I thought the holes were clogged). Since I'm a cheap bastard Idecided to look into it myself. As you can see from the pictures, this is not a job for the faint-of-heart. There are several panels along the sides that need to come off as well as a ton of electrical connections for various things like lights. Airbags on the "A" pillar need to be minded.
I found a kinked lne (rear passenger side where the leak was) that I believe was there since the car was manufactured. Thanks Nissan! from the above post it sounds like an endemic problem!
Anyway, after doing all that (but before buttoning it up and re-installing anything, I tested the system by pouring water in the drains. I still had leaks. The inner gutters are open and too much water flow is going to pour over the edges and cause the symptoms above. A heavy rainfall should make little difference as the seams, assuming they're relatively clean and tight, will not allow enough water to cause an overflow.
BUT, As I watched the water flow I noticed that the drain hoses were not routed in a way that allowed smooth drainage; there was minuscule lessening of the pitch of the hoses that obstructed the flow just enough to cause the problem to recur in spite of my efforts.
Fortunately I was able to re-arrange the lines to add more pitch and the problem has disappeared since. I did this last July and we've had some monsoons.
Hope this helps!
View attachment 56377

View attachment 56378
Can you provide a close-up and/or higher resolution photo so that we can see more clearly the routing issue you mentioned?
Can you provide a close-up and/or higher resolution photo so that we can see more clearly the routing issue you mentioned?
Sorry, the pictures you saw are the only 2 I took. It did not occur to me to document the repair more completely. Since you're not the first to ask this question I have taken to documenting all sorts of repairs (the latest was shortening bar stool legs so they come out evenly FWIW). Sorry!

I will say this: The problem was a kink in the hose, not a clog. Straightening it out was 1/2 the solution. The other was simply making sure there was as much pitch in the hose as possible without disrupting its primary function. So common sense should be your guide.

Good luck!
Reactions: 2
1 - 14 of 14 Posts