Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today by accident some water spilled on one of my backseat carpets. It鈥檚 only a small area. I removed the whole carpet so it can air dry. And I tried to soak up some water remaining on the car floor with a towel. How long will it take for that to dry? I鈥檓 concerned about mold growing too 馃槶

Registered
Ok so today by accident some water spilled on one of my backseat carpets. It鈥檚 only a small area. I removed the whole carpet so it can air dry. And I tried to soak up some water remaining on the car floor with a towel. How long will it take for that to dry? I鈥檓 concerned about mold growing too
It depends on the weather and humidity, im sure large fan running 24/7 wont hurt to get all moister out.
Spray with Lysol periodically.

I saw a good tip how to dry a car, is to get a few very big bags of rice from Costco and dump allover the floor, it will sucks the moister and very easy to pick it up with shopvac

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Ok so today by accident some water spilled on one of my backseat carpets. It鈥檚 only a small area. I removed the whole carpet so it can air dry. And I tried to soak up some water remaining on the car floor with a towel. How long will it take for that to dry? I鈥檓 concerned about mold growing too 馃槶
How much water?

If it's only a small area and amount of water I wouldn't be overly concerned, just dry as completely as you can and monitor it for awhile. If you get your nose near it, you should be able to tell if it's beginning to grow moldy...

Registered
2018 Murano SL
If you sop up the water with a towel and it's not a gallon, it should dry OK. If you need to drive the car, run the AC with the temperature up higher than normal and it will dry more quickly.

In snow country, we have dragged piles of snow into cars on our shoes/boots and carpeting gets wet.

When you say you removed "carpeting" do you mean the carpeted floor mat? I would leave the mats out for a few days or so to let the carpet underneath dry. If you need to protect the carpet from passengers, use a thin towel or something instead of the mat.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much water?

If it's only a small area and amount of water I wouldn't be overly concerned, just dry as completely as you can and monitor it for awhile. If you get your nose near it, you should be able to tell if it's beginning to grow moldy...
It wasn鈥檛 a big area. Just a bit. Like that one there for example

Administrator
Here in Colorado with 20% humidity, we'd ignore it. You may want to remove the floor mat over the carpet to let it air out. If you didn't fill the floor well with water, it should dry out just fine.

If you feel really concerned, put a small fan in the car overnight to circulate air and evaporate the water.

Reactions: misshely

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here in Colorado with 20% humidity, we'd ignore it. You may want to remove the floor mat over the carpet to let it air out. If you didn't fill the floor well with water, it should dry out just fine.

If you feel really concerned, put a small fan in the car overnight to circulate air and evaporate the water.
Awesome! Thank you! A friend told me that it鈥檚 nothing to worry about especially if it was clean bottled water. Unless it鈥檚 repetitive spills then yes but not once 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I removed the little mats to air dry in the sun. Just the floor carpet that is drying on its own since I can鈥檛 remove that obviously lol but yes that鈥檚 true. I鈥檓 sure this is very common with people that live in show or very rainy places. Thanks for the advice! 馃槉

Registered
2018 Murano SL
You're absolutely fine. This reminds me of when I had a large Wendy's Frosty (chocolate milk shake thing) on the back seat floor in one of those carry caddies and it fell over while I was driving. Fortunately it was confined to the carpeted floor mat but what a mess.

By the way, if your carpet mats ever get dirty, you can wash them in the laundry tub with Woolite and a scrub brush...which is how I got the Frosty out of my wife's rear seat mat. Full immersion and soaking first in Woolite, then a few times with clean water, then I blot them with some old rag towels and hang them on the line to dry. In Michigan the mats get terrible salt stains on them from winter salt.

I now use Weathertech or Husky mats in all of our cars and although they're not as cozy feeling as carpet, they are great to keep carpet clean and dry.

Reactions: misshely

Registered
If it doesn't dry, it could lead to mould. Say if you spill it under a couch or in a dark corner where it doesn't dry quickly, then mould might be an issue.Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox Mould developing takes 24-48 hours if the spores are present, so as long as it dries in an hour or two you should be fine. If this is whole floor carpet where you cannot access underneath it, then its very possible mould could develop there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it doesn't dry, it could lead to mould. Say if you spill it under a couch or in a dark corner where it doesn't dry quickly, then mould might be an issue.Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox Mould developing takes 24-48 hours if the spores are present, so as long as it dries in an hour or two you should be fine. If this is whole floor carpet where you cannot access underneath it, then its very possible mould could develop there.
It dried pretty quickly actually. Around 2 days. Doesn鈥檛 smell like anything funky. Probably because it was just clean bottle water 馃憤馃徎

Registered

I think we have all spilt water or drinks in any one of.our car along the way, and its not that big if a deal if it's a small amount, but I know I would try to absorb as much as I could just because it makes sense to.
Don't start dumping rice on it, as one said. That is not something most reasonable people would do.

Just make sure it's sopped up and air it out much as possible and you'll be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts