Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is such a wealth of knowledge around here about detailing products, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get water spots out of my windshield?

I washed the MO the other day and when I was cleaning the glass I noticed the spots. I use Invisible Glass and it's awesome, but it didn't touch the water spots.

I've heard everything from ammonia to vinegar to CLR. I'm a little nervous about something like CLR or LimeAway... I'm not sure if they would etch the glass.

Ideas?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
No suggestion for removing the spots but you may wish to consider using Rain-X after one you have them removed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
No advice for removing the water spots, but the net time you wash use the Mr Clean auto wash kit. It uses a filter to remove the minerals and stuff out of the water to prevent water spots. I've used it once already and works great! I have hard water where I live too.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Glass Wax

It has a very very fine abrasive for glass. It takes the spots off my glass.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good suggestions so far... thanks everyone. I might pick up that Mr Clean kit just for the filter but I'm not sure what they cost and if it would really be worth it. I tend to hand-dry my cars with a spray was or a real polish/wax anyway. (Eagle 1 "Wax as you dry" spray is great stuff!)
But who knows, maybe that would make it easier for quick in-between touch-up washes.

And I'll look into the Glass Wax...

Someone else recommended Bio Clean, anyone use that?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Bobby Likis of Bobby Likis Car Clinic (a radio show) recommends using Bon Ami (its like Ajax but less abrasive) on the windshield to give it a sparkling shine. I tried it, and it works!

Just don't use it on your paint, for obvious reasons.

You can find his show on:

http://www.carclinicnetwork.com

The show is much less entertaining than NPR's Cartalk and Bobby Likis is VERY arrogant when he explains a problem - he pretty much thinks avg people cannot understand cars and only mechanics should work on them. I would agree that avg people should not blindly attempt major repair jobs, but when equipped with the FSM, any average joe (like this Eric L. character) can fix almost anything on the vehicle. The show is also filled with a lot of advertising for his sponsors and he hocks the Tornado device (which is junk). If you listen carefully he says he always sells the Tornado along with a K&N filter and also inflates the tires to optimal pressure. Can you guess where the "increase" in fuel economy comes from? :p

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i also use invisable glass for cleaning the windows. i find it prety darn good for removing water spots. you must have pretty hard water in your area or you may have left the windows till the end to wipe off. i tend to chamios the glass before i touch any other part of the car which ensure only(sometimes) streaks are left behind and streaks are much easier to wipe clean then spots. try some vinager with water. my mom always uses it around the houseand it seems to work quite well. then use the invisable glass to get rid of that wicked smell haha. i have rainX on mu windows and they still tend to spot up but that's only in direct sunlight. just remember wipe your windows as soon as you finish washing your MO.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's input. Just for informational purposes, I found a product called "Bio Clean" at a local glass shop. It's not something you can buy off the shelf at your local store. He sold me one of his bottles and said if it didn't work I could bring it back to him for a refund.

I think I used too much because it was a little more of a pain to use than it should have been. It's a thicker almost pasty-like liquid that applies easily and then hazes over. I applied it with a towel and gave a good buffing action and a little pressure when putting it on. After it hazed over I simply rinsed it down with water (it dissolves easily) and then went over the window with another round of Invisible Glass and it looked perfect (except for the sand pits, of course! :) )

I found the stuff online:

http://www.perfectproductsonline.com/bioclean.html

100% safe and non-toxic, no harsh chemicals. I liked that... and it worked very very well.

Thanks again everyone. I will keep the other products in mind next time I'm at the store and I will try them to see how they compare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts