Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE KEYLESS ENTRY REMOTE SEEMS TO BE DEFECTIVELY DESIGNED.
I AM REFERRING TO THE SHAPE.

IN MY 2007 MURANO..THE WINDOWS ROLL DOWN THROUGH WALLS FROM A MAJOR DISTANCE WHEN THE KEYS ARE IN A PANTS POCKET OR IN MY PURSE.

IT IS ASSUMED THAT KEYS ARE STORED IN THOSE PLACES OTHERWISE WE WOULD'VE ALL BEEN BORN WITH RINGS THROUGH OUR NOSES FROM WHICH TO HANG OUR KEYS WHERE WE CAN KEEP THEM FROM BANGING ON OTHER THINGS.

MY KEY FOB IS SORT OF BULLET SHAPED WITH THE BUTTONS ROUNDED INTO THE SIDES FOR A SLEEKLY DESIGNED SHAPE. WHEN IN THE PANTS, GOD FORBID YOU NEED TO SQUAT...THE WINDOWS IN THE CAR OUTSIDE IN THE ELEMENTS, WITHIN EASY REACH OF STEREO THIEVES, ETC. ROLL DOWN FOUR INCHES IF THE MIDDLE BUTTON IS DEPRESSED TWICE.

IT'S HAPPENED TO US NOW TWICE IN 400 MILES USAGE.

I THINK NISSAN EITHER NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM OR I MAY JUST NOTIFY EVERY INSURANCE COMPANY ON THE PLANET AND FORCE THE ISSUE.

MY DEALER SAYS...JUST USE THE KEY...TOSS THE HOUSING AND REMOTE FEATURE. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE TO ME.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Parker,

First, please let the caps lock key go have a retirement :)

Second, the window rolling down is intentional. If you depress the button for five seconds and hold it the window will roll all the way down.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It is the sensitivity that he is complaining about, not the existence of the feature.

Never happened to me though.

Ummm please refrain from letting the insurance companies know. My premium is high enough!!! LOL. effin Jersey.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
It seems to me that this is a feature that should be fairly easy to disable. Obviously not on the settings screen to do ourselves, but perhaps a competent dealer (if that isn't a complete oxy-moron) should be able to disable that by hooking up to their computer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with you and have posted my issues previously. I am not happy about needing to go to the dealer but, the next (first) time I do, I will ask them to disable it. I had snow in my car one day because of this "feature". If anyone has any success with the dealer disabling this, please post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have been in contact with 1-800-NISSAN 1...follow the prompts until you get to the one where it says..any other issues you might need to discuss.... have your VIN NUMBER READY.

i was told that if a significant number of complaints are received engineering would consider redesigning the keyfob holder itself so that merely having it touch something wouldn't set it off. this is not something that can be disabled...not by the factory, the dealer, nor you. it is a simple keyfob SHAPE redesign ssue. they got carried away with beauty and sleekness and forewent practicality...and consequently overlooked safety.

i am serious when i say i WILL call every major insurance company in north america to resolve this issue..because it is a SAFETY ISSUE...
I HAVE HEAT IN MY SEATS. if they get wet they will cease to work.
jeffrey dahmer may one day notice your windows are down and be in that back seat of yours under your gear cover...or that fantastic Bose stereo of yours may be nothing but a bundle of dangling wires....think about it.

nissan says the feature CANNOT be disabled. several of you in this site have had the window motor replaced...because even the service departments are unaware of this issue and are so quick and eager to make the bucks from nissan for warranty work...but what happens when your car is out of warranty and the windows roll down while you are shopping in a mall during a rainstorm and your seat motors and heaters quit working...NOT TO MENTION WET AND MOLDY CARPETS... and what about the next time you go to buy a nissan and the cost of the car is double because of all the window motors AND SEATS that have been replaced...these costs are all passed on to the consumer.

THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE. that keyfob enables the window roll down feature through brick and block walls from a distance of over 75ft....in my case.
it happened at my warehouse from the bathrooms in the back of the warehouse through 7 interior walls and a two foot thick solid block, brick-faced exterior wall.

if you don't get nissan to deal with this problem NOW..YOU WILL REGRET IT THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENS TO YOU. if it does happen to you, let's just hope it does not happen the day after your warranty expires.

SO I URGE EVERYONE TO CALL 1-800-NISSAN 1 AND TELL THEM
THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE TO YOU. the fix may be as easy as sending us all a form-fitting plastic case that can house those buttons in a position where they are not predisposed to being inadvertently depressed just by bumping up against your leg in a pants pocket..or against something in a purse.

i live in a harsh weather area...very wet in spring...very snowy in winter...that keyfob cannot be trusted to ensure the security of the car...period. if you haven't had the problem yet...i can almost assure you that you will. perhaps some of our keyfobs are more senisitive than others...and if that is the case..how about the rest of you helping us out. i sure would help you out if the situation were reversed.

thank you.

PS nissan neither reads (so they say) this site...nor do they recognize this site in any way....so you must complain to the above phone number

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
OK Try this on for size.

How about you make a simple little keyfob cover that will have the thickness around the button so they are recessed and eliminat the inadvertant pressing of them. Seems easy enough to do. Some clear heat shrink in tubular shape then after shrinking cut out areas around the buttons. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOW ABOUT THIS?? instead of me fixing it.

HOW ABOUT NISSAN PROVIDES THIS TO THE PEOPLE WHO PAID ALMOST 40 THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR THEIR PRODUCT.

You may regret not informing nissan that this is a problem once your warranty runs out and the inside of your car gets swamped...or if someone steals your infant after gaining access to the car.

as i posted earlier...nissan buys these units on the secondary market..they are not going to lose a dime over this issue...that supplier will.

it's a defective design...period. it's a defective design that leaves you, your possessions, your safety, your children, and your resale value vulnerable.

require them to fix it...now, before more damages are reported...before jeffrey dahmer's demented wannabe rapes your teenager or kidnaps your baby.

·
5,100 Posts
Na I live in Scottsdale>>>>>

We don't have snow or rain here (ha ha ) Pigs do fly it snowed in Scottsdale last week I lived here over 20 years and never seen such temps.

To the main point. It seems you are mad. I am not just trying to help you as no one at Nissan or the Government is going to or has so far. Maybe you can return the Mo under a lemon law. :eek: If you are that upset.

PS I am going to be 73 in some weeks so no Babys to steal or teanagers to rape and I don't have the Mo anymore so it can't be pillaged. :2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm not mad...i paid, i would guess...probably well over 1000 bucks for a particular feature....the intelligent key.

the intelligent key is supposed to make my driving experience easier.
now i find, not only do i need to carry the keyfob merely stowing it on my person, somewhere....i have to carry it in my hand the entire time i am out of my car...so that i can insure that the windows do not roll down while i am off somewhere...that my car...full of possessions, purchases, stereo, etc etc...is not vulnerable.

sounds rather like a no brainer to me. who wants a key lock that unlocks the door, via the windows, after we have well satisfied ourselves that we have locked our car...just because some idiot engineer designed the keyfob incorrectly.

the feature itself is desireable...i like being able to let the heat out of my car. however, i don't want a bump to the keyfob to open my windows when i am not there to make that decision.

we all carry our car keys in a pants pocket or purse. a keyfob that allows a bump to it to open windows through building walls is defectively designed...because once you are inside that building you can't be sure your windows are up or down.

if you don't have a murano, and you don't have anyone you care about driving one...then, perhaps you should stick to issues that apply to you. this one sure doesn't....unless of course...in your retirement...you represent nissan as a paralegal reporting on sites like this.

i am no stranger to the lemon law. my second lawsuit was a victory, as was my first. the second victory was a no brainer..but the first accident caused by a defectively designed...that's not defective...but defectively designed....steering mechanism forced ford to try to save the lives of people whose lives they put in extreme jeopardy and who they clearly did not give one iota about in trial...and i have dealt with the physical ramifications of that for 38 years now.

i was happy to devote over three years of my life to making sure those cars were recalled. i would do it in a heartbeat again...to insure other peoples' safety.

i doubt you will see the rape victim who gets mugged in her murano posting on here...should, god forbid, that ever happen...but, i'll venture to guess that if she DID KNOW that the keyfob's defective design was the reason a rapist gained access to her vehicle..you would never see the end to her postings....and i'll betcha she WOULD be mad.

all i am asking is that nissan supply the purchasers of 40 thousand dollar vehicles a case for the old one that protects that center button from hyperactively responding to it brushing up against something by virtue of it's rounded shape...or a new keyfob that is shaped so this is not an issue....a safety issue.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Parker-

I appreciate your passion, but this is really not a big deal.

Having a poorly designed alternator that could stop working at any time is a big deal.

Having a crank position sensor fail due to a poor solder joint is a big deal.

Having a driver's seat that rocks is a big deal.

Having an unprotected gas tank that is vulnerable to road debris is a big deal.

Having a transfer case that is a proven weak link is a big deal.

Having a CVT that is not repairable and has a $5,000 replacement cost is a big deal.

Having a keyfob that has exposed buttons that can activate if you stuff it in your pocket or purse is not a big deal.

-njjoe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so...joe...
while you're callling nissan about all the other problems...
their number is 1-800-nissan-1.....tell them that even though your wife and kids survived the accidents from all the other issues...you're still a little concerned about them being raped in the mall parking lot.

with a list like that...you need an extended warranty...but, what good will it do your wife when she is too traumatized to ever get into your re-worked and re-designed murano...because the damn keyfob let her rapist in.

they could easily mail us all one...a small cover....a small precaution for potentially big problems...

if the rape thing doesn't grab ya...try this. they rectify all your problems...and you decide to sell that monster while everything is still working...the buyer arrives...you walk outside...oops, your winows are down...you smile to yourself and pretend you left them own on purpose...you open the door....and fifty gallons of rainwater pours out. kiss that buyer goodbye, baby....you're stuck with your lemon.

·
5,100 Posts
Ok Parker, Wow, Whew, !

I will depart this thread with only one thought, "Get a Life" or maybe finding things to try and make a big deal about so you can sue is your life. To be hones in the beginning I was not sure you wre even really serious about this as IMO it is so silly. However on the oft chance you were I thought I would offer a helpfull suggestion.

Now I can tell that you expect something that I think is a bit un obtainable, perfection. Plus you have nothing better to do than be ready "at a heartbeat" to devote 3 years of you life about the design of a keyfob! 2 B honest it blows me away, which is where I am going from this thread.
:eek: :2: :eek: :2: :eek: :2::eek: :2: :eek: :2: :eek: :2: :eek: :2::eek: :2: :eek: :2: :eek:

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Parker-

I truly do appreciate your passion and wish you success in your crusade. It is just that I do not believe this is as big a safety concern as you make it out to be.

Every month or so a new MO owner will start a thread and claim that he has a defective (or possessed) MO because the front windows will automatically roll down when no one is in or near his car. Once he learns that the feature is purposely designed into the MO and that the root-cause was him (or her) inadvertently activating the keyfob buttons they simply modify their habits and the problem goes away.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there ya have it folks.....

all i am asking is that if you've experienced this problem with your keys..that you call nissan and report it. it was their tech-rep who suggested this. she feels that if enough people who actually had the problem ...actually called...this could be rectified.

now...for the rest of you folks....as i said earlier...most responders on sites like these....who make suggestions to you like you shouldn't expect a feature for which you paid to work properly...to work properly...just stop and think to yourself...who is that guy, anyway????

in my experience they are paid paralegals...presented to you by automotive manufacturers...as is the tech rep who pretends to be from the engineering department at nissan...when your service manager can't solve your major malfunction. THEY ARE ALWAYS FROM THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT...just there to make sure that service guy doesn't say something he shouldn't.

been there, done that....got the tee-shirt.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Parker,

How long does the button have to be depressed before the windows go down?

Possibly you have a defective system or fob which makes the windows go down sooner than normal?

If that's the case, your problem should be easily corrected under warranty.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Re: there ya have it folks.....

parker said:

...most responders on sites like these....who make suggestions to you like you shouldn't expect a feature for which you paid to work properly...to work properly...just stop and think to yourself...who is that guy, anyway???? in my experience they are paid paralegals
Parker-

Are you suggesting that there are "paid paralegals" masquerading as members of this forum dishing out erroneous advice? :p

-njjoe

·
5,268 Posts
OK,
I will start the list of "paralegals":
1. Homer
2. Don
3. joe
4. Eric
5. Kris
6. ....;)

I guess I can continue with at least few hundreds more...but I won't. I just do not have time to continue with this absurd.

parker,

I wish you luck with your quest but please do not offend members of this forum. Say no more....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
suit yourself kris.
when i first logged onto this site..i thought...gee, imagine how many lives could've been saved before we were actually able to gather the victims in my defective design lawsuit against ford.

quite a few people died while searched for them without help from the manufacturer.

wait'll some innocent woman is victimized because her windows rolled down of their own volition...nissan techs having replaced her window motor...and telling her that should fix the problem.

i've had my say...you folks seem to think it's okay to have engineers skimp on safety issues for the products you purchase...no wonder they don't give two cents about your cvt's and alternators.

keep up the good work...and be proud of that pile of metal that cost you half your life savings...be proud of the color of the peeling paint...and all those extras that you paid for that don't really need to work correctly....it's your car and i can tell you are really proud.

that's what makes america great...and japan rich.

:2:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
20 Participants
Kris
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing