Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather being bitterly cold lately (-30C or worse) I discovered a problem with the drivers seat. The motor for the front/back movement stops working when it's that cold. All the other movements work fine.

After parking the car indoors or driving and warming the interior it starts to work again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have had the seat track TSB applied but I don't think they touched the motor. I'm sure when I go to the dealer they'll park it indoors all day and say it works fine.

---------------------------
2004 Murano SL AWD
Silver
Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 Winter Tires

·
Registered
844 Posts
sctb1 said:
With the weather being bitterly cold lately (-30C or worse) I discovered a problem with the drivers seat. The motor for the front/back movement stops working when it's that cold. All the other movements work fine.

After parking the car indoors or driving and warming the interior it starts to work again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have had the seat track TSB applied but I don't think they touched the motor. I'm sure when I go to the dealer they'll park it indoors all day and say it works fine.

I just went through -37C weather for a week and did not have any troubles with the motor. At what temperature did the motor start to work again?

---------------------------
2004 Murano SL AWD
Silver
Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 Winter Tires

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Weak Seat Motor

Stoker said:
I just went through -37C weather for a week and did not have any troubles with the motor. At what temperature did the motor start to work again?
This morning was about -15C and it worked, but very slowly and with lots of resistance. When I park indoors it is about +7 and it works pretty well.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Is the engine running, Is the battery fully charged, Are you sitting on the seat? The motor doesn't sound weak, at least not at normal temperatures. But having a difficult time moving at cold. Low voltage will show up on the more heavily loaded item. The load on the front back is a lot more than the seat back rest, a passenger seat with nobody in it is not loaded as much either. May to need a little grease, put a little Lithium grease on the track, run it back and forth to distribute. etc.

Doubt if it's a true weak motor. Motors tend to either work or not, as compared to "getting Weak"

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think it is time to visit a dealer, most if not all electric motors should work at very cold temps in fact they can work better as the motor is cooled more.

It is possible that in the cold temperatures, that Manitoba is famous for, that the seat tracks were not postion properly and when they contracted in the cold temps. It actually binded the track out of shape so that the motor could not over come the binding. This theory may be correct as the motor moved the seat when it warmed up to -15C.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Since I don't remember the problem happening before I got the seat track replaced, my guess is it is either installed incorrectly or not greased. As I mentioned before it seems like there is lots of resistance.

To answer Don's questions, this is with the motor running and nobody sitting on the seat. Battery should be good as the vehicle is only 3 months old.

Sigh, back to the dealer again.

·
5,100 Posts
OK that assures us we have good power and not differing loads. Further you have relayed that this started after having the seat track adjusted. Did they do the other seat as well? Does it act the same way. I would expect that the lube on the tracks was not removed but only mal adjusted in their zeal to make if tight they over did. Looks like you have it pin pointed. :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
It sounds like the seat tracks may not be parallel causing the seat slides to bind with the track. Can the seat tracks be loosened a liitle at one end to allow the tracks to adjust as the seat moves ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
sctb 1 - here's a wild one....maybe you have accumulated moisture/water in the seat track which would freeze at the colder temps and thaw ??? One would think evaporation would solve but??

How are the Dunlops working in our winter wonderland??? What size?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
senza said:
sctb 1 - here's a wild one....maybe you have accumulated moisture/water in the seat track which would freeze at the colder temps and thaw ??? One would think evaporation would solve but??

How are the Dunlops working in our winter wonderland??? What size?
It's possible but I'd be surprised, I'll look tonight. I called Birchwood and they are already trying to tell me that there is nothing they can do. He says the grease is probably too thick. That's ridiculous, I've had 2 Maxima's and they never had a problem. I haven't been very impressed with Birchwood.

I love the Dunlops! They are 235/65R18 - a perfect match. They look much more aggressive yet still ride very smoothly. I've only had them for a couple of days but in the severe cold on frozen roads the cornering and stopping is way better. I've tried and can't get the back to fish out like I could easily do with the Eagles. I've run it up to 50km and nailed the brakes on ice and they stop very quickly. I can't wait to drive home tonight in the fresh snow. I'm very impressed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
"I haven't been very impressed with Birchwood."

I walked out of Birchwood a year ago when the sales manager reneged on a verbal deal....went to Steinbach...service was great the only time needed(replaced altenator last fall)...not very convenient though....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee, why doesn't surprise me. :rolleyes: They seem pretty slimy there.

If I continue to have problems with the service department I'll go back to Ortynsky. Steinbach is just too far for service but I've heard good things about them.

·
5,100 Posts
I went out and tried to move my track (since I was under the seat anyway and working on the X-BOX) I could not do any thing to make the track bind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked under the seat yesterday when the car was warm and everything looked straight and parallel. I ran it back and forth about 5 or 6 times and it worked fine. This morning at -12C it moved, but very very slowly. I'm sure at -20C it would not move as before. Maybe I'll try some of that lithium grease. I can use it for my window tick too. :)

·
5,100 Posts
Is the drive link from the motor to the jack screw stright. It runs thru a clear plastic tube across the front of the seat, between the tracks. Maybe it needs lube also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The service department finally called back and they are ordering a new seat! I'm surprised, I didn't even have to take the vehicle down to show the problem. He said the technician thinks there is something wrong with the motor.

Maybe when I had my seat in to get the track replaced a few weeks ago they noticed something. Either way, I'm happy and hope this solves my seat problems. I wonder if it will be a 2005 seat and if there are any changes?

·
5,100 Posts
It that an ACESII that I am seeing there? I particurarly would like to have the "Haulback" reels on our seats.

·
5,100 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts