Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How cool would this be??? Found this site for a web cam and software that let you view and control it from your cell phone or the web. Lots of possibilities here. Of course youd have to get wireless internet access in your Mo (which I have been wanting to do anyway, just not sure how to go abut it). Imagine... mount the camera on your dash and you can hold video conferencing while driving. Add a carputer and set it to constantly digitally record and erase after a certain amount of time and you then could face the camera forward while driving and who knows what you might capture. Have a digital record of any accident you might be in (heaven forbid) or if Mo is vandalized you may just catch the bastards on video for the cops. I imagine my alarm warning going off and me being able to use my cell phone to view and control the web cam to check up on my Mo. What a dream!! I love cool toys..lol. The motion tracking is a pretty cool function, can you imagine someones face if they walk by your Mo when its parked and see the cam following them as they walk by...lol. The site says they have a mini dome camera that will be coming out soon that would be even less conspicuous.

http://www.smilecamusa.com/store/customer/home.php

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
How would you have wireless access in a moving vehicle? Even if you were parked somewhere, you'd have to be within 200 feet or so of a hub to get the bandwidth necessary for a webcam. A cell phone to control it might be a good idea, but the cell networks don't have nearly the bandwidth to broadcast streaming video.

I think having a web conference while driving is a dangerous idea, esp if you plan on wiring up the NAV screen to display the person you are talking with! Its already worse enough wiht people talking on their cells while driving, imagine if they are staring a video screen and talking to someone!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
web conference while driving?

Eric L wrote: ...I think having a web conference while driving is a dangerous idea, esp if you plan on wiring up the NAV screen to display the person you are talking with! Its already worse enough wiht people talking on their cells while driving, imagine if they are staring a video screen and talking to someone!
Michael Knight and Kitt always did it with Devron (his CO) or Bonnie ( the pretty engineer) while driving. Is this only happen in hollywood? :)D refering to Knight Rider series for those who dont know what I am talking about here)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The difference was that KITT could drive itself when Michael took his eyes off the road to talk to Devon (or look at the girl sitting next to him). :D

"Look out Michael!" ;)

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Mobile wireless is now a reality. Verizon have released a PC Card based modem the gives Broadband speeds over their cell network. I got one for a colleague of mine, and he claims it's faster than his home DSL connection. Its a flat fee of $80 per month (pricey for a toy, but cheap for corporate use)

Verizon claimed broadband speeds in 2 test cities in California, and dial-up speed everywhere else on their network. I ordered one for new york city, and I guess they expanded the coverage because it's very fast indeed.

Get it here...

And no, I don't work for verizon :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered one for new york city
So its not good for all areas, you have to have it for every different area you go too?? that would suck.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
NO, 1 modem is good everywhere.

What I was trying to say is that it runs at double dialup speed everywhere, but in certain test markets you get broadband speed. Although they hadn't announced it, NYC is now at broadband speeds.

The rest of the country will follow, I'm sure

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i got ya.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Cool, glad to see that wireless broadband is becoming a reality.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
more verizon props

As much as I hated Verizon when I left for Nextel, I do have to give them some more props for how they treat NYC. Any Verizon DSL customer has free 802.11 throughout Manhattan. Just check their website for hotspot locations, and sign in with your DSL id/pwd. I often use my in-laws' account to avoid the $10/day in-room Internet when staying in the city. With a room on a high enough floor, I can often hit two different hot spots.. 51st & 6th and 55th & 6th.

Nextel is also testing broadband over wireless but if ole' VZW gets off the ground quicker, I might have to switch back since they have a much bigger and better network. Of course, if I *really* wanted to do in-car vidcon, I'm a ham and could cheat by just doing ATV. ;) Finally, for those concerned about distance limitations of 802.11, there are plenty of external antenna options to greatly improve the range. Not enough to maintain connections in motion, but enough to give you many more options when looking for open wireless access. At best, you'd still have to find a spot to park before firing up Netmeeting or GnomeMeeting.

·
4,664 Posts
CQ CQ CQ DX... Hey, you're a Ham? Cool... So am I!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts