Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Murano SL
Dealing with rain coming in on the passenger side only. It's not the moonroof drainage. I had that cleaned yesterday. They then tried to say it might be the roof rack. I covered the car over night as much as I could with a pool cover(it's all I had available) because it's raining for 3 days here. The only part uncovered was a portion of the windshield from the side mirrors down and anything below that. So I know it's not the moon roof.. I'm just stumped on where the heck it's coming from. Car sat over night.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
How many miles?

It could be leaking from the air conditioner. Check to be sure the condensate drain is not clogged.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
How many miles?

It could be leaking from the air conditioner. Check to be sure the condensate drain is not clogged.
Good thought. If it dumps water on your feet when going around a corner (after the AC has run for a while) that's a giveaway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles?

About 105k.
Would it be leaking from there even when the car isn't on? I did a hose test today now that the rain FINALLY stopped.. with the hose coming down the left side of the car only basically.. and got water.. when I did the hose test with the hose strictly along the wipers.. nothing.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
About 105k.
Would it be leaking from there even when the car isn't on? I did a hose test today now that the rain FINALLY stopped.. with the hose coming down the left side of the car only basically.. and got water.. when I did the hose test with the hose strictly along the wipers.. nothing.
Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's air conditioner condensate which would occur on a humid day with the A/C on.

Are you sure the moonroof drain tube is securely attached to the drain?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's air conditioner condensate which would occur on a humid day with the A/C on.

Are you sure the moonroof drain tube is securely attached to the drain?
I'm going to have to have the guy check. I personally don't know how to get into the pillar to find out.. I paid someone to flush those. Since they are still leaking I'm going to have him check when I go back. Apparently it's leaking in behind the.. ugh... early morning brain fart.. but there's styrofoam at the footboard on the passenger side. That's where I see the water seeping under. Firewall???

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
They may have dislodged the drain tube when cleaning it, or may not have resolved a clog...

To verify the drain is functioning, you can try carefully pouring some water into the moonroof drain channel near the front right corner to see if the water exits onto the ground, or into the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They may have dislodged the drain tube when cleaning it, or may not have resolved a clog...

To verify the drain is functioning, you can try carefully pouring some water into the moonroof drain channel near the front right corner to see if the water exits onto the ground, or into the passenger compartment.
Omg! So I only had a quick second to check just now but yes! Water came in when I poured a little water down the drain! Or where I think the drain is lol. So the friggin place either didn't clear it or it's dislodged. I'll attach pics of what I saw.

In the second pic showing the water below, I believe that puddle under my tire was already there. But I'm not positive.. it's a public parking lot, I'll check again in my driveway in the morning.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Tire Bumper

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Carbon Vehicle door

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
If water is coming in from the moonroof drain, they didn't clear it. Or they may have accidently pushed the hose off of the drain channel in the process of trying to get a clog out...

I can't imagine it's anything other than the moonroof drain not draining properly, despite them suggesting it's coming in from the roof rack. It sounds like they are making excuses. I would show them the evidence and have them either correct it, or have them refund your money...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a problem with water getting the passenger side mat wet. I took some stiff weed whacker string and pushed it down the drain hole in the front right corner of the sunroof. It was fine after doing that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Also, the doors themselves may have drain ports/holes that can become clogged. I have seen them cause this type of issue on other cars in the past. To be honest though its probably not the problem in this case, as you would most likely hear and feel water sloshing around in the door as you open/close it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok for the life of me I can't find the daggon drain hole! I thought that's where I had poured water yesterday but today trying to get a weed whacker string or blow air in to clear it, I realized I don't know what I'm looking at here.. and my dumb self probably just poured water down the column or something... here's a pic of what I see.. which isn't much.. unless the wind deflector screen is blocking it.. I'm at a loss..
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a problem with water getting the passenger side mat wet. I took some stiff weed whacker string and pushed it down the drain hole in the front right corner of the sunroof. It was fine after doing that.
I can't find the stupid hole. Lol. I have the string. I even found pipe cleansers my kids had. I can't find the drain hole.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, the doors themselves may have drain ports/holes that can become clogged. I have seen them cause this type of issue on other cars in the past. To be honest though its probably not the problem in this case, as you would most likely hear and feel water sloshing around in the door as you open/close it.
I used to have that issue with my 2007 Altima. You could hear the water sloshing around. But if you pressed the bottom corner, it all drained out.
I've checked the seals on the front and back passenger doors and can't find an issue..

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Ok for the life of me I can't find the daggon drain hole! I thought that's where I had poured water yesterday but today trying to get a weed whacker string or blow air in to clear it, I realized I don't know what I'm looking at here.. and my dumb self probably just poured water down the column or something... here's a pic of what I see.. which isn't much.. unless the wind deflector screen is blocking it.. I'm at a loss..
All areas of around the moonroof drain into the drains, so it's unlikely you poured water into the wrong place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok sooooooo I have an update.
I got a day to just sit and mess with this car. Pour water and seeee everything without rushing.

I was DEFINITELY pouring water in the wrong place.

I kept wondering if it was the stupid windshield again because THAT'S when the stupid leak started, when I got my windshield replaced a few years ago. I noticed a leak last year,same exact place, safelite replaced it. Now year later here we are. But the hose test shows it's not in the same spot as last year. Last year there was a hole along the base of the windshield. This time something is going on along the passenger side obviously..

Went to safelite yesterday and showed them that when I pour water along the seal on the passenger side, water pools along the firewall on the passenger side floor. He pulled the trim along the passenger side door, checked the sunroof drain. SHOWED ME the correct location for the sunroof drain. When I showed him where I had been pouring water in he said 'GIRL! That's INSIDE your car!!!'. And when he poured a cup of water where I told him, he got water too. But nothing from the sunroof drains. I'll post pic of correct sunroof drain hole location.
I have an appointment to get the windshield replaced AGAIN. annoying....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts