Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Murano Platinum AWD silver metallic (bought new Jan '21), '13 Corolla S Hot Lava Orange 31k mi.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. Just found this forum. I bought my new silver 2020 Platinum AWD Murano last month and couldn't be more pleased. What a car! I've had lots of others, my last being a Lexus SUV----but none compares to this jewel. Wow!! My only other Nissan was a new '98 Altima that I ended up giving to my son 'cause I wanted a larger car, but I really liked it, though. The Murano has no wind noise on the freeway, and a rock steady straight drive right in the middle of the lane without correcting to keep it there. Trucks passing me don't blow me sideways, & the black satin wheels set the car apart from most. I get stares and smiles/comments from passers-by, those seats are THE most comfortable ever, and without question nobody can touch that Bose sound system. So far this is my all-time favorite car. Nissan hit a home run! My wife picked it. She was visiting her Brother in Texas for a month (his wife was dying from Alzheimers), and he has a 2020 Murano SL. She drove it a lot and fell in love and after the test drive I was sold. I still have reservations about the transmission, but we'll see. I don't have a lead foot (anymore) being an older guy now, but it's such a great cruising ride you don't HAVE to punch it to get some kicks. Being in sunny Southern Arizona I also don't have to worry about snow (or rust) and although not white the silver color should reflect enough heat despite the black interior, to keep it fairly cool. I hope to learn about the quirks and perks it has from all of you, and am very glad to be a member. Sorry for the long winded essay (lol).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel pretty much the same way, Nick. I have only had her for a week and so far, so good! My Platinum AWD is all black, inside and out: all the bells and whistles. I have (or at least in the process of) added a front wind deflector and window rain guards. I also ordered a hitch and wiring kit. I am adding a light to the hitch to not only make it look better, but to add an additional brake light. A hitch tain't for everyone, but it will serve me well to add a cargo carrier for the times I don't want to possibly get the car's inside dirty or scratched.I traded in a 2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition, so this is a toatally different animal to get used to.

·
Registered
2015 Murano Platinum blue/brown
17 Posts
Give it time you will learn to hate it. Besides the 3.5L that's road proven the rest of the car is what you would expect if North Korea made cars. I made a mistake and let my wife go off her feelings and "it looks cool" product evaluation techniques and now we own an excuse to drink heavily. Good luck, maybe you have the one off that will actually perform half of what they say it will.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Give it time you will learn to hate it. Besides the 3.5L that's road proven the rest of the car is what you would expect if North Korea made cars. I made a mistake and let my wife go off her feelings and "it looks cool" product evaluation techniques and now we own an excuse to drink heavily. Good luck, maybe you have the one off that will actually perform half of what they say it will.
The Murano body is manufactured and finish assembly is done in Canton, MS. Drive train is manufactured and assembled in TN, before being sent to Canton. Interior is from SC and almost all exterior plastic trim is from Canada. Chromed and finished interior plastic trim is from Japan, less the 5% of the car. Nothing from North Korea, or from South Korea for that matter.

Here's a good web site to see which auto manufacturer actually has the most "NTSB Reported" issues with their different models.

This is a great resource when looking to buy a used car. If you pay attention, the majority of major issues are almost always confined to the first and second year of model production or when a major upgrade is released.

Sorry that you're not liking your Murano, but fear mongering doesn't get anyone any where. On this forum, like many others, the people with issues outnumber the happy ones without any issue 100 to 1.

I also ordered a hitch and wiring kit. I am adding a light to the hitch to not only make it look better, but to add an additional brake light.
I also have a hitch light for when my hitch is on in the summer. For the rest of the year, you can install this, which is a brake light and backup light. Available in Clear and Smoked.

Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Smoked Lens 3-In-1 LED Rear Fog Light Compatible With 11-14 Nissan Juke, 14-up Rogue, 15-up Murano, Red LED Running Light Assembly For Tail Brake Lamp & White LED Backup Reverse Light: Automotive

For more visibility, you can add these at the same time:

Amazon.com: 2PCS 3D Optic Red Lens Full LED Rear Bumper Reflector Brake Tail Lamps Signal Lights for 2015 2016 2017 2018 Nissan Murano: Automotive

Also available in Clear and Smoked.

Guys, enjoy your Murano's. Rated one of the most comfortable in it's class. The only car that I can drive more than 1/2 an hour without having to stop and stand due to back pain.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Murano body is manufactured and finish assembly is done in Canton, MS. Drive train is manufactured and assembled in TN, before being sent to Canton. Interior is from SC and almost all exterior plastic trim is from Canada. Chromed and finished interior plastic trim is from Japan, less the 5% of the car. Nothing from North Korea, or from South Korea for that matter.

Here's a good web site to see which auto manufacturer actually has the most "Dealer Reported" issues with their different models.

This is a great resource when looking to buy a used car. If you pay attention, the majority of major issues are almost always confined to the first and second year of model production or when a major upgrade is released.

Sorry that you're not liking your Murano, but fear mongering doesn't get anyone any where. On this forum, like many others, the people with issues outnumber the happy ones without any issue 100 to 1.

Thanks for relaying all that's publicly known about the Murano and their lowest bidder business model. I think you missed one crucial part of my comment about North Korea, "if". No one is fear mongering anyone, maybe your the lone elephant in the room. Facts don't care about your feelings. I am sharing my real life experiences so not everyone gets this sugar coated, everything is great, Murano's are the best thing to ever hit a car lot impression. I have been buy, selling, building, mod'ing cars and trucks for over 35 years. I know a bad one when I see it/drive it/work on it constantly. The fact is Nissan has a torrid history with a few exceptions like the Skyline (Bluebird) and some of their engine designs, R22, A-VQ35DE and others. In the early 2000's they almost collapsed into oblivion if it wasn't for a complete ground up change of everything which of course led to a CEO who had to flee Japan in the middle of the night and is wanted by Japanese authorities. There is one major reason Americans buy Nissan vehicles. They are stylish and cheap to buy used. After living in Japan for 10 years I understood why Nissan is typically looked at as bottom rung when it comes to most of their products. Toyota of course is your dependable mule and Subaru is a well respected company although not everyone owns one like the Toyota's/Honda's. Think if Caterpillar started making cars and trucks with the same dependability as their heavy equipment, that's what Subaru did. We can go on for weeks talking auto companies but if no-one here wants to here facts lets get this forum ban going. Looks like you have some sort of title that might be able to make the happen. Otherwise, lets keep it realistic and facts driven.(y):cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Again, sorry you don't like your Murano. Toyota? Going to the Rav4 forum and reading the gnashing of teeth about the gas tank issues in the '19 - '20 model, or maybe the previous model with the AWD engagement clunk. Fiat/Jeep/Chrysler same forum issues. After reading on a Ford forum, you won't want to drive next to one.

Same with the CVT issues. 770 reported issues across all production years, with about a third of them in the 2003 model with the rest spread across the remaining years. From reading on the forums, you'll be led to believe that every other CVT is going to fail sooner then later. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Cars today are engineered and designed to be driven to EOL (250K) without any major repairs. Oil, Brakes and Tires. The days of keeping a car to 500K are long over, unless you go against the manufacturer's maintenance schedule and are more proactive about all the fluid changes and keeping rust at bay.

My point being that you can go to ANY forum, on any product, and read how "BAD" that product is from 90% of the posts. Coming on and trashing everyone else's view because of your experience with one car is not right.

FYI, my admin status has absolutely nothing to do with how any discussion develops. I'm in my mid 60's and was cleaning bolts from a coffee can filled with coke in my father's garage at the age of 4 (1959). My wife's family owned a small town garage. I've worked in both of them most of my life until my FIL retired and sold the garage. But what that has to do with the discussion, I don't know.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2020 Murano Platinum AWD silver metallic (bought new Jan '21), '13 Corolla S Hot Lava Orange 31k mi.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel pretty much the same way, Nick. I have only had her for a week and so far, so good! My Platinum AWD is all black, inside and out: all the bells and whistles. I have (or at least in the process of) added a front wind deflector and window rain guards. I also ordered a hitch and wiring kit. I am adding a light to the hitch to not only make it look better, but to add an additional brake light. A hitch tain't for everyone, but it will serve me well to add a cargo carrier for the times I don't want to possibly get the car's inside dirty or scratched.I traded in a 2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition, so this is a toatally different animal to get used to.
I'm sure your wife didn't talk you into buying this hunk of junk, and naturally you didn't do any research or comparison studies on which car to buy or avoid (lol). Buying a car is a crapshoot, but since the Murano's been out there a long time having fewer problems than most models---well, I kinda like our odds. Of the 19 new cars I bought in my life only 1 had a lot of problems. I'm pretty sure we made the right choice. Enjoy your new MO, I am....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Here's a good web site to see which auto manufacturer actually has the most "Dealer Reported" issues with their different models.

I also have a hitch light for when my hitch is on in the summer. For the rest of the year, you can install this, which is a brake light and backup light. Available in Clear and Smoked.

Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Smoked Lens 3-In-1 LED Rear Fog Light Compatible With 11-14 Nissan Juke, 14-up Rogue, 15-up Murano, Red LED Running Light Assembly For Tail Brake Lamp & White LED Backup Reverse Light: Automotive

For more visibility, you can add these at the same time:

Amazon.com: 2PCS 3D Optic Red Lens Full LED Rear Bumper Reflector Brake Tail Lamps Signal Lights for 2015 2016 2017 2018 Nissan Murano: Automotive

Also available in Clear and Smoked.

Guys, enjoy your Murano's. Rated one of the most comfortable in it's class. The only car that I can drive more than 1/2 an hour without having to stop and stand due to back pain.

Have a good day.
Paul, thanks for the great links and the background info on our Murano's. I also have a lot of back pain & surgeries and this is the first car I can drive for 3-4 hours straight in 20 years!!! Unfortunately, the passenger power seat is only a 4-way instead of 10 too bad it's not the same, but at least it's tolerable---in ALL other cars I can't be a passenger, I HAVE to drive. These seats truly ARE amazing. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Again, sorry you don't like your Murano. Toyota? Going to the Rav4 forum and reading the gnashing of teeth about the gas tank issues in the '19 - '20 model, or maybe the previous model with the AWD engagement clunk. Fiat/Jeep/Chrysler same forum issues. After reading on a Ford forum, you won't want to drive next to one.

Same with the CVT issues. 770 reported issues across all production years, with about a third of them in the 2003 model with the rest spread across the remaining years. From reading on the forums, you'll be led to believe that every other CVT is going to fail sooner then later. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Cars today are engineered and designed to be driven to EOL (250K) without any major repairs. Oil, Brakes and Tires. The days of keeping a car to 500K are long over, unless you go against the manufacturer's maintenance schedule and are more proactive about all the fluid changes and keeping rust at bay.

My point being that you can go to ANY forum, on any product, and read how "BAD" that product is from 90% of the posts. Coming on and trashing everyone else's view because of your experience with one car is not right.

FYI, my admin status has absolutely nothing to do with how any discussion develops. I'm in my mid 60's and was cleaning bolts from a coffee can filled with coke in my father's garage at the age of 4 (1959). My wife's family owned a small town garage. I've worked in both of them most of my life until my FIL retired and sold the garage. But what that has to do with the discussion, I don't know.

Have a good day.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Thanks for the Tuesday morning funnies. Rav4(Vangaurd)? That's your comparison? Those things are a Pepsi can on wheels that Japan cant sell 300 of a year, marketed to ill-informed gaijins. Don't get me started on the CVT's. I don't have enough time in the day. Seriously though, I have one question. 🙋‍♂️You are in your mid 60's and have under body LEDs on your Rano? My office mates want to thank you for the insane release of endorphins this morning. Keep on keepin on brother. 👀👍:cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Boy, only 300 a year? I'm sure that Toyota would love to hear that.

Yea, I've gotten a few jobs from people who like to dress up their cars and make them unique, like mine, one of a kind!

Have a good day.

Reactions: Nick'sBaby707

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the response to PLATINUM BLUE(PB), Uncle Paul....lol...Nah, PaulDay and I are not related, but I sure did like his educated response to PB's message. If he got a lemon with a myriad of problems, then he should (or should have) take it up with the dealer where he bought it. Just my 1 1/2 cents...I'm frugal and make every penny count....ANOTHER LOL....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the response to PLATINUM BLUE(PB), Uncle Paul....lol...Nah, PaulDay and I are not related, but I sure did like his educated response to PB's message. If he got a lemon with a myriad of problems, then he should (or should have) take it up with the dealer where he bought it. Just my 1 1/2 cents...I'm frugal and make every penny count....ANOTHER LOL....
Huh? Where's the educated? The "dress up" made total sense though. 4 yr olds and tranny's like to dress up too. Since you guys are good at quoting what you search on Google look it up. Japan projections for the new Rav4 in Japan. The distinction is Japan and US. Don't confuse the two.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I don't live in Japan, so I really don't know about their sales, and really don't care. Doesn't affect me, nor just about anyone else in the US.

Japan has a totally different culture. All anyone has to do is go to YT and see some of the cars that they're producing and driving, only available there. Much different, smaller, with smaller engines. That's what works best in their crowded urban environment, along with a high gas rate. You not going to be seeing them produce the equivalent of the powerstroke Ram anytime soon for sale over there.

I'll tell you a little secret about your Murano. Seems like you either have a "Monday" or a "Friday" car. Monday's are know as "Hangover day." and Friday's are "TGIF, let me out of here!" in the automotive assembly world. Had an uncle that spent 30 years on the Detroit assembly lines. With 500 workers on one line, there's plenty of characters that like to joke around. Like the guy that hung an old wrench in the fender liner and had a bet that it wouldn't be caught going down the line. Long before automation and QC.

Yup, really sucks when you get one of these cars! Just be lucky that all engines are now built to tighter tolerances using NC feedback milling machines with 0 tolerance. Kind of like getting a "Blue Printed" engine every time, like from the old days when you had to have this done for racing, you know, you've built them right?

As long as you don't run cheap gas, and change the Cat's at the first sign of running hot, these engines will run a good 500K or more miles with proper oil changes.

Have a good day.

PS Google is crap and way overrated, never use it. Much better concise search engines out there, for one, "Dogpile" jumps to mind.

Reactions: Nick'sBaby707

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll tell you a little secret about your Murano. Seem like you either have a "Monday" or a "Friday" car. Monday's are know as "Hangover day." and Friday's are "TGIF, let me out of here!" in the automotive assembly world. Had an uncle that spent 30 years on the Detroit assembly lines. With 500 workers on one line, there's plenty of characters that like to joke around. Like the guy that hung an old wrench in the fender liner and had a bet that it wouldn't be caught going down the line. Long before automation and QC.
Yup, really sucks when you get one of these cars!
Reminds me of my first new car a 1970 Ford Maverick. I decided to remove a door panel one day because of a raddle and found a Ford branded coffee cup inside stained with coffee!

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Reminds me of my first new car a 1970 Ford Maverick. I decided to remove a door panel one day because of a raddle and found a Ford branded coffee cup inside stained with coffee!
The Fairmont was famous for finding the coffee machine "poker" coffee cups in the door panels. Chryslers and Buicks also had garbage issues in the doors cavities.

A local guy that we did service for came in with a year old Dodge van that he'd gotten for a great price, but was noisy as all heck when going over the littlest bump. While sliding the side door closed, I heard a little hollow rattle. Removed the inner door panel and found two "Old Milwaukee" beer cans, empty of course. Found the rest of the 6 pack in the passenger's door, the rear fender wheel where the spare tire was stored, and the back doors. Who ever did it was smart by not putting one in the driver's door.

Believe me, those "Monday" and "Friday" cars are still out there, just not as frequent due to robotics assembly and a much higher level of QC. Sucks when you get one!

Have a good day.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also had a new 1974 AMC Hornet that was a Mon or Fri car.

About a week after I got it I took it to the spray off car wash. A layer of paint actually pealed right off! There was another layer under it. Got the entire car repainted under warranty.

Then about 3 months later we had a hail storm and had to have the car fixed and repainted again.

About a year later the paint was faded and all chalky.

I gave up and traded it for a Jeep CJ5 and took a loss.

Since this is a Murano fourm I have to say my 2018 with 30,000 miles has been trouble free.

Only annoying thing was when I bought it the dealer couldn't fine the second key fob. I had to return when a vendor came and programmed a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[/TABLE]
The Fairmont was famous for finding the coffee machine "poker" coffee cups in the door panels. Chryslers and Buicks also had garbage issues in the doors cavities.

A local guy that we did service for came in with a year old Dodge van that he'd gotten for a great price, but was noisy as all heck when going over the littlest bump. While sliding the side door closed, I heard a little hollow rattle. Removed the inner door panel and found two "Old Milwaukee" beer cans, empty of course. Found the rest of the 6 pack in the passenger's door, the rear fender wheel where the spare tire was stored, and the back doors. Who ever did it was smart by not putting one in the driver's door.

Believe me, those "Monday" and "Friday" cars are still out there, just not as frequent due to robotics assembly and a much higher level of QC. Sucks when you get one!

Have a good day.
I also had a new 1974 AMC Hornet that was a Mon or Fri car.

About a week after I got it I took it to the spray off car wash. A layer of paint actually pealed right off! There was another layer under it. Got the entire car repainted under warranty.

Then about 3 months later we had a hail storm and had to have the car fixed and repainted again.

About a year later the paint was faded and all chalky.

I gave up and traded it for a Jeep CJ5 and took a loss.

Since this is a Murino fourm I have to say my 2018 with 30,000 miles has been trouble free.

Only annoying thing was when I bought it the dealer couldn't fine the second key fob. I had to return when a vendor came and programmed a new one.
Thanks, Phil, and REALLY glad your 18 is holding up well. What's that old saying about you can please all the people some of the time, etc. etc. lol This website sure gives it some credence....Right PB....ANOTHER LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
[/TABLE]
Thanks, Phil, and REALLY glad your 18 is holding up well. What's that old saying about you can please all the people some of the time, etc. etc. lol This website sure gives it some credence....Right PB....ANOTHER LOL
[/TABLE]
Having had a rather poor childhood (so I tell my much better half lol,I enjoy adding all the bells and whistles to every new car I buy. My last new vehicle was a 2019 Honda Ridgeline with beaucoup storage and able to carry my Ebikes. Not so with the 2020 Nissan Morano, so I added a hitch with wiring. Not a bad look, although not for everyone. The Dealership wanted close to 1400 bucks. I paid $125 for the 2" hitch (Amazon) and $45 for the wiring harness. I had a friend put it on for me ( about a half hour to bolt it in place) and another hour plus to wire it up.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts