Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you all,
A colleague of mine at the office are hesitating to buy a murano.
He likes the look, how it feel when driving, the price tag etc, but somehow still
hesitates because of various reasons.

He also rigerously read this forum, so he is aware of all the possible
'flaws' murano has:

rattles (correctable)
power streering pump
steering bolt loose (correctable)
rotor need to be resurfaced (correctable)
misaligntments (correctable)
poor am/fm reception (correctable)
bad alternators on some early muranos(correctable)

Besides the flaws, what other thing he might consider the "FEAR" factors? :rolleyes:

·
Mo Betta
163 Posts
SugarRush:

Price, maybe? I know lots of folks here spend lots of money on transportation, but I'm not one of them. I nearly had a hissy fit when I ponied up a the money for an Xterra back when they were selling for MSRP and above (I paid $22-23K). And now I'm buying a vehicle that costs over $30K?

Argh! Problem is that I don't want a car of any kind and I don't like any of the less expensive SUVs. I don't need an SUV for offroad but I like the body style. It's a practical one for me. The Murano is the only one that "speaks" to me. Don't know why.

(Oops! just reread your message and he likes the price, so I don't know what the problem is.)

Maybe the guy is scared of making a mistake and regretting his decision. Has he looked at the forums for other vehicles that he is considering? It's quite possible that if he does that, he will see that other vehicles have just as many problems, if not more. Maybe he's scared of choosing something so radical.

I've been through lots of the old messages, going back to the beginning, and the one thing that stands out to me is the number of people who describe the sheer joy they have when driving their Mo. Yes, there are a handful of unhappy people, and if I have the problems they've reported, I'll be unhappy, too. However, I suspect that most vehicles have their quirks, and it's a matter of getting one with quirks you can live with.

Why not ask HIM instead of asking us to speculate?

·
5,244 Posts
You asked the wrong question, a VAST MAJORITY of members of this board actually did buy Murano. So the questions should be either why did you by or would you buy again.

Anyway, leave it up to him. If he is not sure let him choose something else. But before that advice him to extensively drive all of the vehicles he thinks he likes or would like to buy.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I believe that the decision to put 30+ grand towards a car that you may have for 3 years or more is a very personal one.

Sure, finances come in to play, but sooner or later we take the plunge anyway. For me, I saw the Murano on a country road for the first time as I was driving my good old 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 138 thousand miles. I tried to catch up with the Murano because I wanted a closer look. Once I caught up, I saw it and was hooked.

Just like any big purchase, you need to arm yourself with facts and data before you even consider buying. I spent about 3 weeks on different car sites and forums before I even made 1st contact with a dealer. Then, I knew what I wanted to pay, and I was armed with price sheets and TSB info and make a great deal.
I didn't really consider any other vehicle than the Murano, though.

I think for myself at least, I needed some sort of validation both before and after my purchase, which is why I always come back here. Just like with any car, there will always be problems and possibly lemons. You have to weigh all of the facts and choices before you make a rational decision.

Use the TSB's and the problem history as a bargaining agent if you are truly interested in a purchase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't answer for your friend but I can tell you why I have not purchased a Murano. I have been considering this auto for about 7 months.

Last October when I would have traded without much hesitation the dealers wanted sticker price for the car. I don't pay sticker for a car.
(The 2003 I would have bought is still setting on the lot, hope they get sticker for the car.)

I am currently in South Texas working and the availability of AWD models are almost non-existant. The local dealerships don't seem to be very interested in selling their product. One salesman would not return my calls. After 4 or 5 messages with no returned call I gave up.

I have lurked on this site since December. There seems to be a list of little problems that are correctable. I currently have a 2002 car that has this list of little correctable problems. The car runs great, never broke down but I am tired of fixing the stupid things that should not be a problem on a 30K automobile.

I am not convinced the AWD system will get me out of some onroad snow situations. There was a post regarding getting into a snowy parking space with no problems but the individual was unable to get out. As I have researched AWD and 4WD it seems that a limited slip differential makes a significant difference is performance. To my knowledge the limited slip diff is not availble on the the Murano.

The windshield wipers not being able to be raised without stopping the engine when the wipers are sweeping across the windshield is poor design. I anticipate spending next winter in the snowy north east. I don't look forward to having to dig the wipers out of snow and ice when there is virtually no clearance between the wiper arms and the hood.

I have looked closely at the Infinity FX. Read the April 2004 Automobile magazine long term report. Sounds great on dry roads but seems the AWD system does not work well in the snow with stock wheels and tires.

At this point I have pretty much decided to wait until fall to purchase a new auto. I want to see what 2005 brings. There will be a new Pathfinder. Maybe the windshield wipers will be redesigned on the Mo by 2005.

The Mo is a beautiful auto. The interior is wonderful and it drives great. I'm just not convinced it will meet my needs.

Orphee0

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you people for all the feedbacks...

I can not ask my friend straight in the face why he is not buying the car. He said, he is thinking about it, so i guess there is no "NO"

It has been 3 months or so and he *is* still in the market.
So i am just curious as why he is not gettting the murano yet :)
And knowing that he reads and brwose this forum, i am sure he will read this thread. That is the reason why i post here...
Maybe feedbacks from all of you who own and buy the murano, will encourage him even more.

Money wise, i am sure it is no problem for him.
To me, 30K is a lot to spend for a nissan.
So that is why i stick with the lowest trim of murano SL AWD available, bare bone, to push the price down to 27K (a honda accord).

< Talking about pricey suv, some people drop 40K for a lexus rx330. :rolleyes: >

I agree with some of you who mentioned that murano is a fine automobile. It rides awesome.
I also agree that the awd in murano is nothing to be proud off; it is "open" differential; it is not as good as 4wd and also not as good as touareg's real locking differential option. Murano will get stuck for heavy duty off roadings. For that, one will need the F150 truck :p

Thank you for all the replies...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I think most MO owners are type "A" personalities. They're the folks who shoot first and ask questions later. Those lurkers and wafflers who want a guarantee that their next purchase will be worry free should NEVER purchase this type of car. Ever. Tell your friend to go get an Accord, or Camry, or some other non threatening car. I mean, if someone is waffling on a purchase waiting for a wiper design change... Yer freaking kidding me right?? Life's too short. I will make you this guarantee. If you are sucessful in convincing your friend to buy this car, and he gets a rattler, it's your fault.

I love the MO! Nuff said.

·
4,601 Posts
Don't ask me... I love the Murano and have no complaints, especially compared to other vehicles.

If you have to justify buying one, go get something else.:p

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my Murano now for three months and not one thing wrong with it - it's perfect! And I'd buy it again without reservation. It has everything that I want - leather, XM radio, Nav System, AWD (which has been tested numerous times on the roads of wintery Vermont), and yes.....finally the factory crossbars!! I have every available option with the exception of the SE package...I didn't want a real rough ride that the SE can have. The SL handles just fine while being a little smoother over bumps.

This car rocks! I've ridden in so many other SUV's and have been disappointed by the ride. Bouncing up and down over potholes and feeling that awful body roll when going around rotaries. I wanted an SUV that would conquer snowy roads while driving like a car and that's exactly what the Murano gives me. All that and I feel like I have all of the luxury ammenities that I was looking for. Did I have some squeaks? Yes - but I stuck some felt in between the plastic and metal in the door as descibed on this site and now.....nothing but smooth sailing.

As for price, the way I look at it is that I paid $33,400 for my car...that's around $500 under invoice considering all the additional stuff I bought at the time (crossbars, ski rack, XM radio, all season mats). I look at this as though I saved $7K to $9K by not buying the RX330 or MDX. Besides, I'll take real aluminum over fake wood any day!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I have also been thinking for quite some time (about 4 months) about the Murano, and I am hesitating as well.

My main reason for waiting is that I am curious about the 2005 model. 2004 brought some good changes and fixed several minor issues that were found on the 2003. Since this is a new model, the first few years will be "working out the kinks".

Thankfully, due to the great information on this site, it seems like Nissan has build a very good vehicle. No major mistakes that need to be corrected.

HOWEVER, since I have the time to wait (my current car is running perfectly) I figure why not wait to see what they change on the 2005? Maybe they can eliminate some of the common problems (rattles, wipers, etc) that are still on the 2004s.

And hey, if they don't change anything, then maybe I can get a left-over 2004 at an excellent price! :)

~ Corin

·
5,244 Posts
Yes, but then again 2006 will bring even more changes, and what about 2007, 2008..............

·
4,601 Posts
Nissan seems to make minor changes at the 2-3 year point and a major change at the 4-5 year point, so the vehicle will never be perfect. Everytime there's a change, there's potential for an error in the design. I think they've got it as close as anyone could get.

Waiting may get you a worse vehicle. You can't be sure. Even in the same model year, some are better than others, which is normal for any vehicle. Or you could get one that's perfect and have someone totall it a day later. Ya just gotta do what you think is right for you.

I bought one that was made in 2002. Risky? Perhaps, but I've been smiling for 14 months now...

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
All in all I agree. But to be honest, if I bought a Murano right now, I probably wouldn't drive it THAT much during the summer anyway (my current convertible is a lot of fun in summer). So I think waiting for the fall is the best move specifically for me. I get a wider range of choices (can still go for new 2004 for relatively cheap, or can pick a 2005, or maybe even get a used 2003 if someone is thinking of upgrading) and I get to enjoy my current car for one more summer (anyone want to buy a Del Sol this fall? ;) )

Not to mention that my stock options that I'll have to sell in order to get this car will most likely go up if I wait a few months as well.

That said, I am kind of getting anxious since I keep reading about how all of you people love your MOs so much... :D

~ Corin

·
Mo Betta
163 Posts
Jim C and I are both champing at the bit to be grinning and driving our respective new wheels... I'm thinking "three more weeks, three more weeks" (more or less). Might even get a chance to enjoy that sunroof that I wouldn't get if you didn't have to get it to get some of the other goodies I want before it gets to hot.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dij

It has been perfect sunroof weather around here. Another month and it will be too hot until late September. I have the sunroof on my other car and I do wish I had gotten it on the Mo.

·
Mo Betta
163 Posts
pcs15394,

I've never had a vehicle with a sunroof and have never wanted a sunroof. For one thing, I'm tall and sunroofs take and inch or two of headroom. For another, it just seems like one more thing to cause problems.

It's going to be too hot to use the sunroof here in a month or so, and it's usually October before things get much better. Might come in handy for airing out the hot air during the summer!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The only thing that could stop me was the struggle between buying the MO or the Honda Element or the Aztec.

Waaah.waa.wa! Sorry, every time I see those cars I crack up.
What exactly goes throuh ones mind when they drop their money down on those car..ah things.
I have to say if I had to go out today, I'd make the same choice and get the MO. No regrets and nothing would stop me.
Bob1

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow.. this thread turns to be interesting afterall..

To me, Murano is the comprimise, because i was not in the market to buy an suv when i got this MO. I was planning to buy: acura tL (FWD),
infiniti G35 (all wheel drive),
audi A4 3.0 quartro , or
the 3 series xi

I tried murano (during my visit in Nissan/inifinit dealer) since the salesman had the key and had one ready at the front door.

Turns out to be awesome~, bought it a week later.

WHy dont i buy a murano?
IF i have to pay 35K for it, because afterall, it is just a nissan.
That is why i opted for the SL AWD base-trim version, 27K

I am the kind of person that want a ride that 'blink blink' plus comfortable to drive.
The murano that i've chosen is at the price of an accord, but people will sure notice me. If i got a BMW, Audi, Acura or infiniti, people will sure notice that they are midluxury car, but then i have to pay 35K or more.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I agree, looking at this forum to find why not to get a Murano is kinda like going to a Mac forum asking why not to by a Mac--they have their caveats just like any puter.

I think most of us here are cultish about our Murano's.
And for dam good reason:
Nothing compares, at least to most of us.

I have been tongue twisted sometimes trying to describe it to folks who say, "a what?". It has the height at the rocker panel of a truck, yet you sit down into it--to me, at the perfect height.
The seats.....ahhhhh the wrap around curves fit me like a glove.

One word to me sums up my experiance with my MO--smoooooth.
Smooth lines.
Smooth handling.
Smooth power train.
Every nuance of my MO exudes "cool".
Coolness often has a price and for this much cool, I will pay dearly.
I chuckle daily at my fellow commuters, especially the ones who have paid for a badge and not the lines or the smooth coolness of da one and only MO.
:)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I gues it depends on your tax bracket..

I never saw it as a compromise, I think it is every bit as nice as some of the "LUXURY" brand SUV's. Others may look down on it as not being elite enough but I think it compares in looks and features with the ML350, MDX, RX330, etc... I don't feel like Jethro Bodine when I go out to a nice area of town in my MO. I guess only time will tell if it will hold up, but I have had very good experiences with prior Nissan's so I feel comfortable with it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts