Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil filters are being used out there? Are you all sticking to the OEM brand? I'm having oil pressure loss at start up and was wondering if the Bosch I'm using is not good for this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
billy bronco said:
What oil filters are being used out there? Are you all sticking to the OEM brand? I'm having oil pressure loss at start up and was wondering if the Bosch I'm using is not good for this car.
I use the OEM filter. I am curious into what do you mean by oil pressure loss at the start up of your Mo. Do you mean that you lose oil pressure once it has started or that it takes a second or two to pressure up enough to clear the low oil pressure warning light ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: What Brand Oil Filter Are You Using ???

Stoker said:


I use the OEM filter. I am curious into what do you mean by oil pressure loss at the start up of your Mo. Do you mean that you lose oil pressure once it has started or that it takes a second or two to pressure up enough to clear the low oil pressure warning light ?
I seem to have no oil at start in filter as engine makes large knocking every warm started. Takes a second for light to go out too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
There has been some discussion about oil filters on this site and if memory serves one of the benefits of the OEM filter is that it has an internal check valve that will prevent the oil filter from draining down when the engine is shut down. The delay in the oil pressure from coming up to pressure can be traced to having to fill the oil filter back up again to pressure the system up.

However, I would be a little concerned about a large knocking noise in your engine before the low oil pressure light goes out. You may want a mech to listen to it and get his opinion.

If you do not use it yet you may also want to use syntheic motor oil to help you engine. That info and opinions can also be found on this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
I use Wix oil filters and really like them. IMO I would go with oem, wix, or Mobil 1. Good luck. :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
I agree with above, Wix, Mobil One, or OEM are all good choices. I am using OEM now and have had zero problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just replaced with OEM @ $8.95
Started engine and the noise was the same as what I have been hearing before new filter filled with oil, even a little longer. Will be interesting to see what it does in the next few days, I'll let you know.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
billy bronco said:
I just replaced with OEM @ $8.95
Started engine and the noise was the same as what I have been hearing before new filter filled with oil, even a little longer. Will be interesting to see what it does in the next few days, I'll let you know.
It definitely sounds like you are experiencing some low oil pressure during startup. If Mobil One and an OEM filter doesn't fix it, then your engine may have been abused by the previous owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems the OEM oil filter has pretty much solved the problem perhaps I'll try Moble 1 or Wix in the future instead of going to the dealer all the time, but Bosch is out for this car. I use Bosch on all my other cars without an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Cryogenix said:
I switch between Purolator and Fram, with Mobil 1, and the last two oil changes Mobil 1 Extended Performance (good for 15,000mi) even though I still change the oil every 2500. :)
Why???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
HuskyFan said:
If I drove in Ds like Cryogenix does, I'd change my oil that often too. I doubt having the engine constantly at 4000RPM is good for the oil.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Cryogenix said:


Yup, you nailed it! :) I figure the 15,000 miles stuff offers even better lubricating and anti-breakdown properties than regular stuff, so it'll help prevent damage even more between changes.

Fluid changes are the single-most important thing to be attentive to in your vehicle for longevity...period! Unless your wife's in the passenger's seat... :)
Actually, the only difference between Mobil One and the Extended Performance variant is a higher level of supersyn, which is Mobil One's antiwear agent. The antiwear agents are consumed as your oil ages, and the way I see it, if they can last 7500+ miles on a Corvette (which has factory fill Mobil One) with a 400hp engine, it will last at least 2500 miles on Nissan's V6 engine (even at 4000rpm).

I think the normal Mobil One is fine for you (its still like 100x better than any other dino juice out there). Although I suppose I can understand, its a small cost to get the Extended Performance version (which over here, is about $1 more per quart at Walmart).
 

·
Love to live w/ MO
Joined
·
410 Posts
Stoker said:
one of the benefits of the OEM filter is that it has an internal check valve that will prevent the oil filter from draining down when the engine is shut down.
I just changed mine to K&N oil filter. got it exactly same reason plus some better cleaning..... and before i put the drain plug back on.... did some magnetic charging on the drain plug......... for about 15 --20 mins.....

i'll see on next oil change how well does it perform......

and yea, changed my oil from Amsoil to Mobil1 as well.


so far so good.... replaced the air filter as well, and i am seeing about 25 -- 30 % increase in my fuel economy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I thought the start up noise was gone, but over time even using the OEM filter it still has a pretty good low end knocking when starting after sitting for an hour or more. Its not a good sound to me for sure and last for maybe a second. Sounds like a rod bearing to me, but I think its just something that has no oil at the moment when starting. Next I'm going to a synthetic oil as I see in several post this has helped many cars with similar issues.

What brand is recommended for my trial test?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
replaced the air filter as well, and i am seeing about 25 -- 30 % increase in my fuel economy.
Really 25-30%.... what are you getting now? The filter must have been pretty bad to increase that much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
billy bronco said:
Well, I thought the start up noise was gone, but over time even using the OEM filter it still has a pretty good low end knocking when starting after sitting for an hour or more. Its not a good sound to me for sure and last for maybe a second. Sounds like a rod bearing to me, but I think its just something that has no oil at the moment when starting. Next I'm going to a synthetic oil as I see in several post this has helped many cars with similar issues.

What brand is recommended for my trial test?
I have been using Mobil 1 05-30 in all my cars for over 15 years and highly recommend it for yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
IMHO if you change oil every 3-5,000 miles and are not driving in extreme conditions just about any oil would be fine. I use convential Mobil oil. In my last car with 210,000 it held on the dipstick never dropping, burning or needing any between changes..

Mobil has new oil out called something like 5,000 and 7,500 types of oil. Seems gimmicky to me not to mention the price increase.

The truth of the matter you can go longer than 3,000 miles between change with convential oil. I'm just too chicken to mess with success.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Changed oil and used full synthetic with OEM filter, still have start up knocking noise for a second. I don't like this sound but I guess it is they way its gonna be. I'm gonna just drive it. With only 15K miles I have 85K worth of warranty left. If it comes apart so be it ......
 

·
Love to live w/ MO
Joined
·
410 Posts
Gonzo said:


Really 25-30%.... what are you getting now? The filter must have been pretty bad to increase that much.
i used to get about 380 km per tank on regular 87 grade fuel.

when i changed my oil, oil filter and air filter i also changed my grade to 89.

so now i am getting about 450km per tank. all in the city driving with the average around 15.8L/100km

i think paying extra 3 cents is worth it to get some extra mileage.... plus the gas station is owned by a grocery store chain so they give back 5c/L in grocery money which i use often.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top