Nissan Murano Forum banner

What changes would you suggest for the 2004 MO?

5K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  MURANOSAURUS 
#1 ·
I love the MO, but there a just a few of changes I would make:

1) have the driving lights work with the parking lights. Also have the bulbs be whiter to match the HID's
2) add a sunglass holder in the overhead consel.
3) change the design, not being able to raise the wiper blades up might be a problem during the winter months with ice build up?
4) the rear wiper seems very loose?
5) add a auto lock when moving.
6) move the compass off of the mirror

But none of these items changes my mind about the might MO. 8)

#2 ·
I would like:
(1) More gauges. Like: Oil Pressure, Battery Voltage, & CVT fluid temperature.
(2) Side door outer panels made like the rear hatch. (Dent proof plastic).
(3) Seamless plastic inner fenderwells. Easy to clean, Keep dirt from collecting & forming rust.
(4) Some kind of latch on the rear cup holder. (To lock it shut).
(5) Larger brake rotors with 4 piston calipers. (The brakes on the MO are fine, But look a little small inside the 18" wheels).
(6) An option for a twin turbocharged, intercooled, 400HP engine, with properly matched CVT. (OK, maybe not! But that might be a fun option).

That's all for now. It will be interesting to see the MO develop over time.
It's a great car, with so much potential.

#3 ·
I'm coming up on 2500 miles and am very pleased so far. The windshield wiper issue is a pain. The manual suggests turning the wipers on and turning off the car while they are raised. A bit inconvenient.

I'd recommend reengineering the headlight switch. The manual suggests avoiding turning the xenon lights on and off to save wear. However, if the lights are on for driving at night, they go off while you turn the switch past parking, turn back on briefely while you pass through auto, and then they go off. Same issue turning them on if you don't want to leave them on auto. Auto just doesn't work well for driving under bridges, in tunnels, brightly lit parking lots, etc. Good idea but maybe move auto to the other end.

The MPG computer thing probably isn't too reliable either. It seems to function independent of your average MPG and is thus unreliable. If you drive hard and get less MPG, you could up empty earlier than empty. If you're gentle, you could have more miles than predicted. Hard to say how they compute that. You can test my logic by noting how many miles it says you can run on your fuel level. Reset your fuel consumption and coast down a hill to simulate an easy driver. The distance to empty will be the same as it was before the test. The number should change based on your actual average fuel economy so it is accurately reflected based on your particular driving style.

The center console is nice and large but I don't store a laptop in there. Much of it is wasted space. How about an optional pull out shelf, effectively giving it twice the storage area, albeit each one shallower. Similar to what it currently has but half as deep.

That's about all I can think of. Seems extremely well engineered otherwise. No rattles or squeeks. The "rear window only" down problem noted elsewhere is odd and annoying but is preventable by cracking a front window and limiting how far down the rear windows are. If you're unfamiliar with this, leave the front windows up and roll one or both rear windows down. Now drive above 30MPH.

I'll give 4 1/4 stars for engineering and 5 stars for all around sexiness.

#4 ·
Suggestions for improvements

I've only had mine for 8 days but I do have a couple of thoughts:
- I'd like to see the "auto" headlight position able to be locked - not much of a detent for anyof the positions. Mine seems to shift too easily when I use the turn indicator arm. Maybe relocate a separate switch to the dash near the headlight vertical adjuster;
- More gauges - I like to know actual amps and oil pressure;
- Headlights automatically come on when wipers are on;
- Map lights come on when open front doors;
- Day-time running lights.
But I love it anyway!

#7 ·
KSmurano said:
I love the MO, but there a just a few of changes I would make:

1) have the driving lights work with the parking lights. Also have the bulbs be whiter to match the HID's
2) add a sunglass holder in the overhead consel.
3) change the design, not being able to raise the wiper blades up might be a problem during the winter months with ice build up?
4) the rear wiper seems very loose?
5) add a auto lock when moving.
Yep, what he said. :D :p

#11 ·
More gauges for the display, yes. If they can't fit them on the instrument cluster, put them on the screen. This may complicate things in a non-NAV Murano, though.

A CD player that can read CDR/CDRW for MP3 playback.

Aux input on head unit for MP3 player hookup.

SAT pre-wire, of course.

Integration of SAT radio antenna with roof rails.

Rear-view camera.

Better control for the rear vents. Even my Exploder had separate fan speed controls back here. Separate audio too, now that I remember it.

True dual exhaust!

HID fog lights. :)

Aluminum pedals.

They can keep the Tiptronic. It's more of a gimmick than functional.

Rain-sensing wipers.

Map lights come on when you open the front doors, yes.

All good ideas. :)

#12 ·
Another thing I would really like is if the back small triangle windows would vent open with the switch at the drivers controls.

I think this would vent a lot of the buffeting out!;)

#13 ·
Nothing

Since it has allowed me to log in today (has been acting up for a few days), my impression driving MO is that I would change nothing.

For '04, I am hoping for bug fixes, fine-tuning.

But... if I could get leather on an SL in Canada, it would be nice.

FWD on an SL in Canada would be nice, too.

I checked with insurance: MO will cost about the same to insure as my Pathfinder, about 30% more than a Sentra 1.8S would cost to insure. In FWD, MO gets better total-loss coverage, and the rate is about $35 less.

CAD insurance rate for me (no accidents, etc.) is close to $1,000/year. That would be higher in some other provinces. I already pay a few hundred for public insurance in my driver's licence fee.

#14 ·
- Deaden the plastic to plastic interconnections in the dash to eliminate rattles.

- Add oil temp and battery voltage to nav display

- Full Size spare like our Canadian brothers get

- Full RDS capabilities.

- Available accessories at launch.

- Get rid of the muffler right in the middle of the car.

I am very pleased with the Murano so far. No car is perfect and any could use some improvement.

#15 ·
I would love a handle/loop on the tailgate to close it and/or a button on the key remote to open and close it
The camera on the back would help backing up.
Heated sterring wheel for those of us who live in the colder climates.
Take that stupid "I agree" thing off the NAV system or an option to "agree" for the life of the vehicle.

#16 ·
- overhead sunglass compartment
- front/rear parking sensors
- rear cupholders reallocated, possibly in the middle seat when you fold it down
- TIPTRONIC! yes!! they were supposed to have it on the 03.. too late we couldnt wait and bought ours in June
- eliminate wind turbulance (heh)
- optional MD player to replace Tape player (who listens to tapes nowadays!!)
- more color options for mixing and matching.. i wanted the bordeaux exterior but it only came with the beige or copper seats
but i wanted black leather so i had to opt for the sheer silver.

i guess that's all i love my murano!!

got a great deal here in Vancouver B.C., Nissan/Infiniti at the Richmond Auto Mall

check it out

Murano SE AWD
Fully loaded (except for nav. system)
lookin for upgrades!!!

#17 ·
i<3mymurano said:
- overhead sunglass compartment
- front/rear parking sensors
- rear cupholders reallocated, possibly in the middle seat when you fold it down
- TIPTRONIC! yes!! they were supposed to have it on the 03.. too late we couldnt wait and bought ours in June
- eliminate wind turbulance (heh)
- optional MD player to replace Tape player (who listens to tapes nowadays!!)
- more color options for mixing and matching.. i wanted the bordeaux exterior but it only came with the beige or copper seats
but i wanted black leather so i had to opt for the sheer silver.

i guess that's all i love my murano!!

got a great deal here in Vancouver B.C., Nissan/Infiniti at the Richmond Auto Mall

check it out

Murano SE AWD
Fully loaded (except for nav. system)
lookin for upgrades!!!
I listen to tapes, but not when it's a $600 option, like on a Toyota. I think the wind turbulence may be related to the shape of the car.

What kind of price did you pay in Vancouver? I have quotes for an SL, MSRP of $39,500, several under $37,000, one at $36,500.

MSRP on your SE is $46,500., so I figure a great deal is about $4,000 less than that. I'm willing to travel (maybe not to BC) to get the right MO for the right price. I'll probably wait for an '04, unless there's a great rebate or lease rate deal on the '03s.

August will bring the revised offerings.

#20 ·
Since there really doesn't seem to be that much different on the 2004 is there anything else for 2005 that Nissan should change?

#21 ·
The following modifications, amongst others, would be great:

The front end could be modified to make parking the Murano an easier task. As it is now, I find it difficult to gauge the distance between the nose of vehicle and another parked car, or some other objects. Almost took out the garage door the other day, as I parked in the driveway.

Factory installed side moldings would also be good to prevent those dings from shopping carts and doors. It would no doubt provide a standard for where the moldings are placed on the Murano. The other day, saw a Murano with side mouldings and looked like a boxer wearing shorts up to his armpits!

Mymurano

------------------------
03 Polished Pewter/SL/Cabernet Cloth; Peppy and Loving It

#22 ·
Speaking of the front

I think they left off all the rubber for those who want to leave it sleak and naked.

Us old fogies can add the rubber.

I ran into an SL owner today. He pointed to the big holes in the front scoop of the bumper. A rock or something went through there, hit his radiator area and destroyed his A/C. Not a warranty item!

$600. to fix. He thought of screen or something, and I told him about NM.org (look for or recommend an after-market something for that area).

If anyone hears of a screen/mesh for the scoop area, might be good to get that! Maybe the pattern from an '04 Sentra grill.

#23 ·
Good thought RF as to the "intake opening".

As to the side molding.........

What is it that you are protecting against, gang?

I purposly had my buddy (He was ineterested too) park his car next to the Murano. He has a 2002 Lincoln Town car. He opened the door. To protect against his door, the molding would have to be about half way down our wheel cuttouts.
Then I had Rich do the same with his 2001 F150.
The molding would have to be just an inch or two above the wheel wells.

So we will have to make a choice. The Murano is unfortunatly slab sided, (Despite it's rather generous curves elsewhere) and it will be difficult to put the side molding in the "proper" place.

I don't know what I am going to do.
But I will do nothing untill I can get body color moldings, which means that, with gold, I may wait a long time.

Homer

#24 ·
Yes, Homer, exactly what I said

about the molding. I tried with my PF rear door (very high on MO), the Sentra (very low on MO). There is a car that can ding somewhere from top to bottom, all different places. You'd need 2 or 3 rows of rubber. Wherever you put it, someone will ding somewhere else.

#26 ·
rainbow - I'll do an email to GrillCraft, they make a real nice grill for my Spyder (black or silver), maybe they'd do the MO! :)

If they hear from enough of us, I'm sure it would be worth their while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.