Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
4,601 Posts
Leave it to a guy from the Bay Area to find all the cool toys...

Sigh, it's been too long since I've been to places like Halted, Ace, Weird Stuff, but at least I got to go to the Fry's south of Portland OR last month...

I like the car PC, but think it's too much money for what it is. I'd like to have a car PC that talks to the Murano's display and responds to the controls.

But they're all good toys. If anyone buys and trys one of these, Please let us know!:D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Weird Stuff Warehouse! I remember going to that in San Jose when I used to live in Norcal. Miss all the great geek shops in the Bay Area. Fry's used to be a hackers heaven - now they sell washers, refridgerators, and even food.

·
4,601 Posts
The sign of a geek...

Got married in Sept. '88 and I kept a log of our travels as we stayed with friends in Cupertino as the home base on our honeymoon. I was amazed at how many places like that, I went to, with my new bride. Ahhh.. Tech Weenies in love. She tolerated it at first but was delighted when I bought her a perl necklace at the mall on Steven's Creek. I bought me a packet radio modem for my amateur radio hobby. She still uses the Perls....

Almost moved there, but that's another story.

Sob sob sob... I want to drive my Murano through the mountains now.... sniff sniff..:D

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
1. Way too complicated.

2. Way too complicated.

3. Come to think of it, way too complicated. (**3** cameras!?!)

I converted my Nav screen to take video in specifically so that I can now look at "carputers" (God I hate that word). I would like to use the ultra-small Mini-ITX motherboard. It already has composite video out and a ton of ports. I plan to use 802.11, grab a GPS stream either from the Murano Nav or a cheap alternative, do APRS position plotting, and of course mobile MP3 and video. Check out mp3car.com for a variety of user interfaces that run under Windows and Linux, such as FrodoPlayer. Another UI (that is showing its age) is CAJUN. It was designed back when 2-line LCD displays and a numeric keypad constituted a UI. I also plan to add another infrared eye next to the one I already have and use the same remote I already use at home for my Slimp3 Player. It would be nice to not have to bring a 104-key keyboard into the car with me!

Oh, and for #3, the tv kit I chose has provisions for a backup camera. If I wire up the cable sensing power to the backup lights, the tv kit will take over the video and replace the screen with whatever video is being fed on Input 3 (which one would hope would be a license plate camera). Also nice for getting a snapshot of a tailgater.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I agree they are pretty pricey but unfortunately I am not as tech savvy as some of you guys on here who seem to be able to build anything from an old clock radio a roll of duct tape and a styrofoam cup... lol :)

#1 - The digital media receiver seems pretty cool but I think I will just go with an I-Pod. Smaller and then I can use it outside the car too.

#2 - I cant put together my own "carputer" and other cool toys like you guys so a system like the one shown is somewhat attractive to me. although I dont think I would really purchase it, this one does have me thinking. would love to have internet access while in the car. I may just go with using my laptop in my car but I dont have wireless internet access, so I will have to look in to that but the GPS system with voice directions they offer seems pretty cool since I dont have the nav in my Mo.

#3 - as far as the backup system goes I thought it was pretty cool that it would give you a side view depending on which blinker you activated since the Mo does have a bit of a blind spot. I hadn't seen that feature before in other systems.

Here is another toy I found but I dont like the size of the antenna so I think I would wait till they come out with a smaller one and the price goes down some. But definitely cool.

http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/tracvision.html

·
4,601 Posts
I agree with you on the iPod...

I want to use my iPaq and I just bought a 512M SD card for it. 1Gig is on the way and I'm sure even larger, so it goes on forever...

If I got fired I'd have time to actually do it. The joy of Windows Mobile is an application could be written to send song titles to the display and respond to controls.

Or on the iPod as well, I'm sure, with an external CPU.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jaak I wish I knew how to do any of that!! you are my idol...lol :)
when it comes to that stuff im pretty much lost (techno illiterate)
If I didnt have you guys to ask questions, I'd be even worse off. This forum sure comes in handy.

·
4,601 Posts
Aww, shucks... Ya didn't have to say that....:17:

I'm actually excited about what some of the other folks on here want to do, so I'm right with ya!:18:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts