Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did something stupid. I was pulling out of a parking lot and forgot there was a concrete curb in front of me and began to go over it when WHAM! Something other than my tires slammed against the curb. The bumper and everything up front cleared it, thank god. But there is something that looks like an air scoop of sorts on underneath the driver's side and in front of the axle. Does anyone know what this is? I banged it up pretty bad and it also pushed up against something right behind it and/or above it. (kinda looks like a heat sink or something) Any ideas?

After this happened, the car now idles harshly. So harsh in fact that the dash underneath the center console vibrates and rattles. What the heck did I do? I'm hesitant to take it to a dealer because I'm sure they'll rape me. Any info. is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The scoop is just that.
It is an air scoop to help cool the transmission.........which is what you pushed the scoop into (this is admittedly and educated guess without a picture).

This should have done Nothing.
But considering that the car no longer idles correctly, it sounds like you screwed up the tranny.
Call the dealer and tell him what you did.
You can't expect Nissan to warranty this.
Call your insurance company and tell them what you did.
You can expect your insurance company to pay for any damage (less your deductible).
And don't worry about it.
It was an accident.

Homer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to follow-up and let you know I got it fixed. The dealer replaced the air scoop/guide and the heat sink. You were right, it was for the transmission cooler. Total damage was $220. Not so bad. I was expecting it to be more. With everything fixed, no more vibrations.

·
Registered
470 Posts
drew01182 said:
The dealer replaced the air scoop/guide and the heat sink. With everything fixed, no more vibrations.
Any idea what the source of the vibration was and how fixing the air scoop corrected the problem ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The air guide/scoop was pushed up against the tranny cooler. That alone was causing the vibration. It was re-assuring to hear from the dealer that I was not the first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts