Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Will someone tell me what the heck this brass seal is called. Rear engine at the camshaft) I have a feeling it's going to be a pain in the butt to replace. Thank you for helping me on my first post as a new old Murano owner. (2004 sl)

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
Hi. Will someone tell me what the heck this brass seal is called. Rear engine at the camshaft) I have a feeling it's going to be a pain in the butt to replace. Thank you for helping me on my first post as a new old Murano owner. (2004 sl)
Your picture is zoomed in too close to get a sense of the surrounding area, but could it be one of the parts labeled "PLUG" in this diagram from nissanpartsdeal.com?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say that's it. Thank you and thanks for the diagram. With that part number I should be able to get more info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and thank you. That appears to be it. Nice job! I don't see any other information on it other than what you found. Makes me wonder if it can be replaced. Like how it is installed if it's pressed in, if it's replaceable... Maybe something you replace only when you rebuild an engine. Boo. Maybe I'm Wrong, any ideas?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is your engine running/sounding fine? If not, maybe it's possible you have a cracked head and fluid has found its way to that plug that, potentially, was designed that way to indicate a problem with a head.

If everything seems fine and the engine oil isn't contaminated, maybe just blast some cleaner in, on and around that plug thoroughly, let it dry, then use some epoxy and press it all in there and let it cure for 24 hours. Maybe even regular red/black RTV sealant could be used to press into the gap around the entire plug, then allowed to cure before starting up the engine. With that sealant, at least it's not permanent the way the epoxy would be. Not sure it's worth trying to pry off that plug...seems like it will be destroyed if you do. It's probably one of those things you knock out from the inside when the head is off and dismantled, kind of like what you said.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a word about it in the service manual. It must be serviceable or otherwise it wouldn't even be offered as a separate part. My guess is that it is intended more or less for rebuild jobs etc.

The area around the leak looks cruddy, but how bad is it really? If it's just a slow seepage leak then you can probably just clean it up really well and seal with RTV as Cryogenix1 suggested.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wonder if they pull those plugs to allow a machine a way to hold/suspend the head to have it magnafluxed or machined or something. Could it be a freeze plug?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scary but interesting hypothesis about it being some kind of an alert to a deeper problem. I'll definitely clean it up and put the sealant on. I appreciate the suggestions very much. I just bought it recently, and does seem to be in such good condition, (for the miles of 160k) and runs very well. I'm falling in love with it quickly. Spent a lot of time reading different posts. I think I'm going to be a regular. Thanks again guys

·
Super Moderator
1,097 Posts
I believe you're looking at a "Freeze-out plug". Designed to pop out if the water freezes in the head to prevent the freezing action from cracking the head.

They have been known to rust thru and start to weep.

Ideally, the old one is pried out and a new one is pressed/hammered into place. Sample:

Usually these are replaced during a cylinder head rebuild.

You can also replace the plug with something like this:

Beware, these tend to loosen and leak, coming out over time.

These plugs are under pressure, pretty sure RTV or epoxy won't last any amount of time.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003
1 - 10 of 10 Posts