Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still on the first original oil that came with the car but what should I use moving forward? Does Nissan recommend real oil or synthetic oil? Is there a warranty issue if I use one or the other? My thoughts are use synthetic I think it is better for the engine but I am not really sure. I do think once I pick a type I should stay consistent right?
Do all Nissan dealers use the same brand?
Your advice is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
uh-oh ... now you've opened the can of worms :D

This is probably the most controversial subject up here after which grade of gas to use.

I plan to change the oil at 7.5K miles with Mobil1 full synthetic, and keep with the maintenance schedule until I'm past warranty. After that I'll change at 10K mile intervals. This is based on reading threads on this forum and on other car forums (not all of them Murano or Nissan), and various websites about oil and oil changes.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I switched over to Mobil-1 on my second oil change. Initially I went with a 5,000-mile change interval but have since switched over to 7,500 miles.

During the last change I took a sample of the used oil and sent it to Blackstone Labs for analysis. They informed me the oil was still in good shape and recommended a 9,000-mile interval.

-njjoe

·
Registered
492 Posts
njjoe - I'm thinking that even if I do a 10K oil change interval, I'll change the filter every 5K. I'll probably use Purolator PureOne as my filter. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
7,996 Posts
I am still on the first original oil that came with the car but what should I use moving forward? Does Nissan recommend real oil or synthetic oil? Is there a warranty issue if I use one or the other? My thoughts are use synthetic I think it is better for the engine but I am not really sure. I do think once I pick a type I should stay consistent right?

First, read your owner's manual. It specifies the type and weight of oil. Synthetics are superior to dino oil, so of course you will use them.

Search the Maintenance forum and you'll find extensive discussions on oils - oil changes - filter changes - and mileage intervals - which will provide all the info you seek.

·
Registered
47 Posts
njjoe - I'm thinking that even if I do a 10K oil change interval, I'll change the filter every 5K. I'll probably use Purolator PureOne as my filter. What do you think?
if you are going to go through the pain/mess of taking the filter off just go ahead and change the oil.. go 7500 as a compromise..

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
At the risk of sounding cliche, the answer was in your owners manual.

I use 5w30 Mobil One.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm thinking that even if I do a 10K oil change interval, I'll change the filter every 5K. What do you think?
No offense, Qat, but this sounds as wacky as changing your oil without changing the filter, as I used to hear of people doing. For $30 or maybe a tad more, just put in new (synthetic, of course) oil and a brand name filter EVERY time you change the oil - regardless of the mileage interval you use. JMHO.

·
Registered
492 Posts
nafddur - no offense taken. Just not sure if the filter's prowess matches that of the oil. I've got time to do research - another 4.5 K miles or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 (going to get a 2011 soon) and i have run AMSOIL since the first change. I change the oil once a year and the filter twice a year and it is excellent!

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I have a 2006 (going to get a 2011 soon) and i have run AMSOIL since the first change. I change the oil once a year and the filter twice a year and it is excellent!
How many miles do you run each year?

-njjoe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ony put 10k a year. what is better if the oil changes are 2 to 3 times a year with real oil or 1 to 2 with synthetic?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I go 7500 miles and do the oil and filter. I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and feel I am getting good results. The oil is never BLACK when I change it and peering in the fill hole, I am seeing no buildup, not even varnish.

7500 is about 9 months for us, I guess I could go a year.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mobil 1 All the way!

Just traded in our '03 SL with 108K miles for a '11 LE. Used Mobil 1 5W30 @ 7,500 mile intervals and WIX filters with no problems whatsoever. Dealer wants to see us every 3,750 miles, but I'm sticking with the 7.5K mile interval. Why do all dealers assume severe use intervals? :confused:

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,996 Posts
Do all Nissan dealers use the same brand?
Your advice is appreciated.
Thanks
The answer is in your owner's manual. Yes, the recommended oil is synthetic. And the specifications are in the manual, so check the index under oil and I'm sure you will find the info you need.

Nissan dealers will all use a Nissan-branded oil, but that isn't the only type you can use. Mobil 1 is an excellent oil and is available in the weights (such as 5-30 or 10-40) that the manual recommends. Of course, you always change the oil filter at the same time as the oil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do mobil 1 full synthetic advanced 5w-30. Oddly enough, I do purchase nissan oil filters and plug washers in bulk. I've watched videos on youtube of guys that cut open different brands of oil filters that you buy at the parts stores. Most of them are extremely cheaply made, like fram. In these videos, they compare brands and how close they may be to oem quality to help you make your own decision. I think it's perfect to stick with the same oil everytime I change it. If I got a used car with higher mileage, I would ask the previous owner what oil they used and continue with it as long as it matches up with what the manual has specified for the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts